Gator Baseball 2023 Gator Baseball Thread- CWS Bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Problems I see with Waldrep.
1.I think he needs to tone down the emotions just a tad, it effects his performance particularly if he's struggling with his FB

2. He might be one of the hardest working kids I have ever seen when it comes to the amount of effort it takes him to reach his velo. He'd be so much more effective if he were low 90's with ability to hit spots, develop a slider to go with that nasty change(splitty). The walks last night are what killed him and he's gotta figure that out. Anyone can have a bad night but I think this problem might get worse for him. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Problems I see with Waldrep.
1.I think he needs to tone down the emotions just a tad, it effects his performance particularly if he's struggling with his FB

2. He might be one of the hardest working kids I have ever seen when it comes to the amount of effort it takes him to reach his velo. He'd be so much more effective if he were low 90's with ability to hit spots, develop a slider to go with that nasty change(splitty). The walks last night are what killed him and he's gotta figure that out. Anyone can have a bad night but I think this problem might get worse for him. Just my 2 cents.
I think you are correct. He could use a couple of hours speaking with Greg Maddox.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Waldrep just horrendous. 3 innings plus 3 batters. 6 WALKS 1 hit batter. Lucky to be down only 1-0 but he leaves with the bases loaded and no outs. How can a guy whose best pitch is his sinker have such awful control? I mean don't you have to have great control to highlight the sinker. Forget his record, he has not been very good the past month +.
Because all he has to do is throw it down the dick. Can't do that with the FB and he seemingly can't hit a spot consistently enough so he has control problems. His arm slot makes it tough to control a breaking ball unless its a spike. Not sure what he throws

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I think you are correct. He could use a couple of hours speaking with Greg Maddox.
LOL, yeah if he could even comprehend what he was hearing. These kids coming from these velo ranches would need an interpreter to understand Maddox. I'd like them to sit down and watch the run on his two seam and then see the look on their faces when you tell them he got that at sub 90 speed.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
LOL, yeah if he could even comprehend what he was hearing. These kids coming from these velo ranches would need an interpreter to understand Maddox. I'd like them to sit down and watch the run on his two seam and then see the look on their faces when you tell them he got that at sub 90 speed.
Sully talked about that this week when Purnell had the good outing against the Noles. Obviously it went on deaf ears as he sucked again last night. It seems many of the pitchers do not understand the mathematics of pitching ahead in the count versus being behind in the count.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Sully talked about that this week when Purnell had the good outing against the Noles. Obviously it went on deaf ears as he sucked again last night. It seems many of the pitchers do not understand the mathematics of pitching ahead in the count versus being behind in the count.
Robots that look at a wrist band and do as they are told, seldom learn how to pitch. Sully recruited Purnell and frankly, I would NEVER take a kid that has to resort to that delivery to be effective so not too sure about Sully's new found importance on hitting spots and throwing strikes. TOO MUCH FOCUS ON VELO and not on command and control. If the velo was so important, and lord knows we have seen plenty of it in the last few years, why are we seeing so many runs scored I wonder?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Robots that look at a wrist band and do as they are told, seldom learn how to pitch. Sully recruited Purnell and frankly, I would NEVER take a kid that has to resort to that delivery to be effective so not too sure about Sully's new found importance on hitting spots and throwing strikes. TOO MUCH FOCUS ON VELO and not on command and control. If the velo was so important, and lord knows we have seen plenty of it in the last few years, why are we seeing so many runs scored I wonder?
Old Folks Country Sausage did not have that delivery when he arrived on campus and he was redshirted his first year as they changed his delivery. I would say it has not been an overwhelming success. Tekulve or Quisenberry arm angles are much more effective than Sausage and their velo would not even register on a radar gun, just like Maddux barely registered 86-88. Sausage has neither a sweeping curve nor a nasty sinker. His best pitch is basically a meatball sitting on a tee.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Can't believe it! Cags is pitching great thru 3. Gives up a leadoff hit, gets two out and then walks 3 straight. Fxxk me!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
It is simply unbelievable. 3 innings for Cags and ZERO walks and only 1 K. No one cares about the lack of K's as he was throwing it over the plate, only to completely shyt the bed in the 4th and walk 3 consecuitive hitters after two outs to tie the game up and now you are forced to take him out. Again it seems almost impossible how our best starting pitchers can fall apart so easily.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
As bad as the pitching was for most of the weekend, more disappointing was the way the team swung the bat against an awful pitching staff. Outside of Robertson every guy was home run swing or nothing. Not a single adjustment made the entire weekend. Capped off by a fundamental "mental" mistake by Neely to end the game, overall another unsound performance the entire weekend. This team is very vulnerable to any team that does not make silly mistakes.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
The most impressive pitcher thru the weekend was Aschenbeck for A&M. Lots of different offspeed pitches, fastball could not break an egg yet he held one of the "best" offenses to nothing all weekend. It is amazing what great command of the zone will yield.

We are on the bubble of losing a regional host seed. Problems with Vandy and/or UK puts us on the road where we are not average.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I tuned in a little late. Is Rivera out from the wrist injury in the last game? Not making a difference tonight as Fabian has gone off on the Dorrs with 4RBI's in two AB's. Excellent bench production.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Thank goodness for Fabian tonite. Halter, hitting in front of him, has had 2 horrendous, unproductive outs with runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs and has not advanced the runner either time. And knowing Sully, when Rivera returns, Fabian will be the DH LOL.

Lastly I do not complain about officials, but this home plate ump blows. Even if a pitcher had great control there is no way to keep your pitch count down with the strike zone the size of a shoe horn. Ridiculous for both sides

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Thank goodness for Fabian tonite. Halter, hitting in front of him, has had 2 horrendous, unproductive outs with runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs and has not advanced the runner either time. And knowing Sully, when Rivera returns, Fabian will be the DH LOL.

Lastly I do not complain about officials, but this home plate ump blows. Even if a pitcher had great control there is no way to keep your pitch count down with the strike zone the size of a shoe horn. Ridiculous for both sides
I think Fabian has earned some starts at 3B. Had 40 there last season. Halter has been the weak bat the last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.