Gator Baseball 2023 Gator Baseball Thread- CWS Bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
  • Saturday's official attendance of 6,798 marked the third-highest in Condron Family Ballpark history.
Huge crowd. Terrible umpire behind the plate as usual. Cincinnati must be saving their ace for tomorrow.
Langford hit a bomb that probably reached Hull Road. Outfield defense is a definite downgrade from what we have had, maybe for 20 or more years. The hitting power may be the strongest I've seen. BUT ~ we have yet to face good pitching.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Better effort today, but Cincy is terrible. Still think we are very questionable defensively in the outfield. As mentioned Waldrop is a Friday night guy, but do not think Sully will make the switch. He has better control that Sproat, but when he has a lot of K's like today it runs up the pitch count quickly. But like today he can get thru 6 with double digit K's and 100 pitches. Sproat was near 90 pitches last night and could not get thru 5. I like the consistency Waldrop offers in Game 2.
Waldtrep's post game interview was really interesting. He is a real humble and polite young man. A lot of "yes sirs" dropped when responding, big smile too. He mentioned how he likes being in the Saturday role as he studies the opponent Friday night and learns their tendencies. Said they were an aggressive fastball hitting team so he was early count with his breaking pitches which set up the fastball. Says he loves having Riopole behind the plate with his experience and says he and Sully have a great rapport.

Looking forward to seeing if Cags can duplicate his effort of last Sunday. Next weekend the big boys from UM show up so game on.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Cags makes it thru a shaky first inning and then he has been lights out. Cinn hitters are overmatched.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Wow, walk 4 (3 by Cags)and hit one to give up two runs. I'm lost on why Sully keeps running Purnell out there. Need some relievers who can throw strikes.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Cincy scores twice in top of 5th and NEVER took the bat off their shoulders. They did not even need a bat. Cags walks bases loaded so Sully brings in Purnell's Old Folks Country Sausage who hits the first hitter he faces and follows that up by walking the next guy before being yanked. Old Folks Country Sausage just sux. I get it last year they all these frosh and none of them were good. You don;t win games that count by giving FIVE free passes in an inning.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
This team is loaded. Cags is the most naturally talented dude to come through the baseball program

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Cincy scores twice in top of 5th and NEVER took the bat off their shoulders. They did not even need a bat. Cags walks bases loaded so Sully brings in Purnell's Old Folks Country Sausage who hits the first hitter he faces and follows that up by walking the next guy before being yanked. Old Folks Country Sausage just sux. I get it last year they all these frosh and none of them were good. You don;t win games that count by giving FIVE free passes in an inning.
Yes, we need to solidify the relief pitching. Guess what? Sully knows it so others shall get a turn. BTW we hit 8 HR's today first time in Gator baseball history. We don't sux.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Yes, we need to solidify the relief pitching. Guess what? Sully knows it so others shall get a turn. BTW we hit 8 HR's today first time in Gator baseball history. We don't sux.
I am aware of the 8 HR's against garbage pitching and I never said the team sux. Please show me where I said that. I said that Purnell's Old Folks Country Sausage sux. Reading is fundamental.

6 walks and 2 hit batters in the first 6 1/3 innings just will not cut it.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I am aware of the 8 HR's against garbage pitching and I never said the team sux. Please show me where I said that. I said that Purnell's Old Folks Country Sausage sux. Reading is fundamental.

6 walks and 2 hit batters in the first 6 1/3 innings just will not cut it.
Yes, on the post above yours I said that Purnell wasn't cutting it and did not understand why he keeps getting prime opportunity to fail. So, since you had to bring Cags pitching into the mix are you suggesting we don't pitch him either since he couldn't find the plate in the first and the fifth? Does he sux too or is it just Purnell today? Do you ever celebrate success?

Next weekend we will see what we do against a top tier program.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
In fairness, Cags has pitched in 2 college baseball games coming off TJ surgery and I never said a word about him specifically only pitching totals of 3 guys just to make a point. Purnell's Old Folks Country Sausage has a decent resume of games for me to comment on along with my own 2 eyeballs having seen more than enough of him

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Is our bullpen really this bad? Or, is Sully just pitching a lot of people and it will tighten once conference play begins?

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Is our bullpen really this bad? Or, is Sully just pitching a lot of people and it will tighten once conference play begins?
Hard to say. Sully usually plays as many bench players and backups (especially pitchers) as he can in the mid-week games to see how they respond, so the mid-week games are never really a reliable barometer for how good the team is going to end up. Sully won't consistently play our best relievers until SEC play starts.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hard to say. Sully usually plays as many bench players and backups (especially pitchers) as he can in the mid-week games to see how they respond, so the mid-week games are never really a reliable barometer for how good the team is going to end up. Sully won't consistently play our best relievers until SEC play starts.
Well the sample size is small to date but he has not really gone too deep through 9 games. Our weekend starting rotation may be as good as we have had since 2017, we shall see. It's clear he expects Slater, Purnell and Ficorotta to cover the brunt of the work during weekend SEC play. Each one has had some ugly outings, especially Purnell. It seems he wants Abner to expand his role but he is outside the strike zone too much. His one freshman potential star to date has been Cade Fisher who has looked pretty good in his three outings. Fisher Jameson, Ursitti and Tyler Nesbitt do not look improved which is disappointing. I don't know why we have not seen Carsten Finnvold other than he does not throw 95, even though he may have pitched the best game last season against Okla to keep us alive. I believe Coppola is on his radar but still not recovered from the mystery inaction last year. Yoel Tejeda looked OK in his only appearance and he may get the start tonight.

The middle relievers are certainly questionable, yet again. It does appear Neely is a capable closer so that is good news.

The best news is we can hit and score bunches of runs which help a questionable pen. Glad they are streaming tonight's game. Go Gators.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Guess last night at Jax was an aberration or the team's pitching staff just does not like pitching at home. Heading into the bottom of the 6th Jax leads 9-5. Gator pitchers have only surrendered 9 walks and 2 hit batters thru 6.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I hope this game does not go into extra innings. I have run out of the Ben-Wah balls on my abacus keeping up with the number of Jax hitters that have reached base without taking the bat off their shoulder.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Guess last night at Jax was an aberration or the team's pitching staff just does not like pitching at home. Heading into the bottom of the 6th Jax leads 9-5. Gator pitchers have only surrendered 9 walks and 2 hit batters thru 6.
Pathetic effort from the mound. Not much to cheer for tonight.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Pathetic effort from the mound. Not much to cheer for tonight.
It is not the result of the game that matters but Abner, Fisher and Old Folks Country Sausage have pitched way too much to consistently be this bad at not being able to pitch the ball over the plate.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Gators give up 11 walks tonight and lose 10-8. The bullpen is in shambles!! Did Craig Bell scout these guys or has Sully been sleepwalking for the past 3 years? At the plate, half the hitters were swinging at pitches 3 feet out of the strike zone and watching close pitches with the bat on their shoulders. The Miami series should give us a forecast of what the season holds. Contenders or pretenders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.