Not open for further replies.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
New year. Anything planned?

Just sitting tight really. Only thing I almost bought a month or so ago was BA in the upper 120s. Had the order there…. Just didnt hit go. That would have been a good buy.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Still have a lot in Treasuries but they start to roll off starting next month. I was picking at some old school value/dividend plays the past few months and they have done well, but I know that capital appreciation in those will be limited. I think if the market continues to react like it did on Friday, the FED will be even more emboldened to continue to raise the FED Funds rate, so I might continue to keep buying 6 month T-Bills, approaching 5% now. But if the SP 500 can take out the 22 low, I will begin to get interested in stocks over Fixed Income.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Still have a lot in Treasuries but they start to roll off starting next month. I was picking at some old school value/dividend plays the past few months and they have done well, but I know that capital appreciation in those will be limited. I think if the market continues to react like it did on Friday, the FED will be even more emboldened to continue to raise the FED Funds rate, so I might continue to keep buying 6 month T-Bills, approaching 5% now. But if the SP 500 can take out the 22 low, I will begin to get interested in stocks over Fixed Income.
I bought last weeks 6mn at 4.82 too.....it's just too easy not to until this funk clears which may take a while save for the little bear rallies here and there
Do you ever consider the foreign dividend giants? I own a little Gerdau, Vale, and BHP all of which pay around 10% dividend depending on the market.....all 3 have outperformed anything else in my trading fund ( up 15-25%)over the last 2 months besides silver....Rio Tinto is another one but I don't own that one yet.

I'm waiting for what I think will be a 20-30% drop in overall stock prices around April/May. Powell will raise rates once, maybe twice by .25 in my opinion but when the market figures out he's not going to start lowering them right away it throws a fit.....and we'll be in a recession too.

I also believe that even with the small raises at the beginning of this year the DXY sags below 100 keeping metals and mining(general and metal mining) some of the better overall producers. In the late summer and early fall the "cocaine" withdrawls will be mentioned by one of the Fed mouthpieces and the market starts to rebound. Talking with some pretty smart RE people and I concur we'll see 4.75-5.25 mortgage rates by the end of this year/beginning of 2024 too.

Gold, sniffing this out will go to somewhere in the 2600-2800 range and pull silver into the mid 30's with it.

******DISCLAIMER******* My predictions are right just the same as a stopped watch is right twice a day:suicide:

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I bought last weeks 6mn at 4.82 too.....it's just too easy not to until this funk clears which may take a while save for the little bear rallies here and there
Do you ever consider the foreign dividend giants? I own a little Gerdau, Vale, and BHP all of which pay around 10% dividend depending on the market.....all 3 have outperformed anything else in my trading fund ( up 15-25%)over the last 2 months besides silver....Rio Tinto is another one but I don't own that one yet.

I'm waiting for what I think will be a 20-30% drop in overall stock prices around April/May. Powell will raise rates once, maybe twice by .25 in my opinion but when the market figures out he's not going to start lowering them right away it throws a fit.....and we'll be in a recession too.

I also believe that even with the small raises at the beginning of this year the DXY sags below 100 keeping metals and mining(general and metal mining) some of the better overall producers. In the late summer and early fall the "cocaine" withdrawls will be mentioned by one of the Fed mouthpieces and the market starts to rebound. Talking with some pretty smart RE people and I concur we'll see 4.75-5.25 mortgage rates by the end of this year/beginning of 2024 too.

Gold, sniffing this out will go to somewhere in the 2600-2800 range and pull silver into the mid 30's with it.

******DISCLAIMER******* My predictions are right just the same as a stopped watch is right twice a day:suicide:
Just to quickly answer your question, I do not have any foreign (especially Brazil or Latin America) mining or hard commodity companies. Admittedly they are very enticing with those yields, but I just can't bring myself to go into that area of the world given those govt's. But I can get close to those yields with MLP's. Yes they are debt laden but at least I know what they do and can see if they can cover their debt load. I do have some Shell and some other European stocks, such as drugs. Also their are some American common stocks that approach those yields that do cell phone service and sell cigarettes. Little capital appreciation, but I know what they do and where they are located.

Not disagreeing with your year end Mortgage rate call, but do you see a chance they may remain higher for the various reasons: If the FED can stick to QT? If inflation remains sticky, which would cause short rates to stay elevated, then less demand for MBS (mortgage backed securities) might cause mortgage rates to remain elevated? Why go with MBS tranche when you can keep playing the waiting game with 6 month bills near 5%? Along with Investment grade corporates approaching 6%, again more competition to MBS?

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
What were your best winners or moves during 2022?
Which asset classes or sectors do you like in 2023?

25xlkt7olwaa1.png

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What were your best winners or moves during 2022?

I only added 2 new stocks: NFLX (+ 46%) and NCLH (+18%). Just lucked into perfect timing on NFLX. I doubled my money on NCLH during the pandemic. But then it dropped back to the same level so I went in again.

I have a significant holding of RTX and it had decent 2022 (+13%).

Everything else.... oof.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I only added 2 new stocks: NFLX (+ 46%) and NCLH (+18%). Just lucked into perfect timing on NFLX. I doubled my money on NCLH during the pandemic. But then it dropped back to the same level so I went in again.

I have a significant holding of RTX and it had decent 2022 (+13%).

Everything else.... oof.
Not too shabby, Brad. Should have cashed that NCLH play. As someone said previously, "No one ever went broke taking profits."

When NFLX went below 200, we bit. Then cashed it at 295 two months later. Stock picking genius right there.... Got a whole bunch of valuable lessons last year about stop-loss discipline and risk management. Looking for a lil help from the FED this year. Got nothing but Tech stocks in the RED left in my portfolio . Except for potatoes... Up big on LW so far this year after a great earnings report last week.

Currently picking Food and Energy as my main plays. Expecting inflation to be a little more sticky with a couple of rate hikes this year.
Looking to add something from healthcare and maybe a funeral stock or two.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm still dollar-cost averaging and watching it all sink. lol I started laddering some CD's at my credit union now that they're over 4%.

Any thoughts on opening a retirement account? I'm doing gig work for emergency management companies, no benefits - so there's no company 401k or anything. Am I eligible to open some sort of IRA? I make too much to contribute to a Roth.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I'm still dollar-cost averaging and watching it all sink. lol I started laddering some CD's at my credit union now that they're over 4%.

Any thoughts on opening a retirement account? I'm doing gig work for emergency management companies, no benefits - so there's no company 401k or anything. Am I eligible to open some sort of IRA? I make too much to contribute to a Roth.
If you’re doing 1099 work and can consider yourself to be self-employed, the income limits for a SEP IRA are a bit higher, $305k if memory serves me correctly.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
And your metals have been performing well. Interesting that Gold could not budge when inflation was surging, but now inflation subsides (on some levels) yet gold braks 1,900. Maybe not an inflation hedge but more a weaker dollar play?
Yeah when rates fall is when gold makes it's serious moves...early 2000's, post 2009 and covid 2020 are the biggest moves gold has made in it's history I believe and we all know what those time spans had in common.....QE.
Conversely gold suffers as bad as any asset during sell offs, higher rates and the beginning of recessions, flat lines through the recession and then springboards up when the QE is rolled out, then quickly pulls back when people sell it off for stocks and bonds.

BTW @FireFoley what are your thoughts about taking a small position in the long bonds right now? Too soon? I'm thinking some of this inflation may be sticky for a while longer than some want to believe and i'm am OK with playing it safe in the short tbills but I want a good entry point for down the road.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah when rates fall is when gold makes it's serious moves...early 2000's, post 2009 and covid 2020 are the biggest moves gold has made in it's history I believe and we all know what those time spans had in common.....QE.
Conversely gold suffers as bad as any asset during sell offs, higher rates and the beginning of recessions, flat lines through the recession and then springboards up when the QE is rolled out, then quickly pulls back when people sell it off for stocks and bonds.

BTW @FireFoley what are your thoughts about taking a small position in the long bonds right now? Too soon? I'm thinking some of this inflation may be sticky for a while longer than some want to believe and i'm am OK with playing it safe in the short tbills but I want a good entry point for down the road.
I too am waiting on Gatorchatter Bond-king FF to give the sign to pull the trigger. What will you buy? 10 yr? 20 yr? TLT? With 32 Trillion in US Government debt, no way we keep rates above 4% for any longer than necessary.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If you’re doing 1099 work and can consider yourself to be self-employed, the income limits for a SEP IRA are a bit higher, $305k if memory serves me correctly.
The last gig was 1099, but this one is W2 - but I'm a 'temporary full-time' employee w/ no benefits. The company has a 401k for full-time, but I'm not eligible.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I too am waiting on Gatorchatter Bond-king FF to give the sign to pull the trigger. What will you buy? 10 yr? 20 yr? TLT? With 32 Trillion in US Government debt, no way we keep rates above 4% for any longer than necessary.
Any of the 20-30 year duration bonds or long bond fund/ETF's will start rising with any fiscal loosening. I'm speaking as a trade of course since when the yields go down the price will rise. In 2019 I bought the Vanguard Strip Bond ETF(sorry don't remember the ticker off hand) and I made almost 40% I believe before I sold it at the beginning of 2020.

Be careful about jumping in to soon though, while the Fed can't hold off forever they are caught in a sh!t sandwich for a while between inflation and trying to protect the dollar. If they let the dollar get smashed(lower rates agressively)too soon commodities and petroleum/crude could go through the ceiling causing another spike in inflation and that would send us into a bad, bad place for a long time.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Any of the 20-30 year duration bonds or long bond fund/ETF's will start rising with any fiscal loosening. I'm speaking as a trade of course since when the yields go down the price will rise. In 2019 I bought the Vanguard Strip Bond ETF(sorry don't remember the ticker off hand) and I made almost 40% I believe before I sold it at the beginning of 2020.

Be careful about jumping in to soon though, while the Fed can't hold off forever they are caught in a sh!t sandwich for a while between inflation and trying to protect the dollar. If they let the dollar get smashed(lower rates agressively)too soon commodities and petroleum/crude could go through the ceiling causing another spike in inflation and that would send us into a bad, bad place for a long time.
EDV? Vanguard Extended Duration Treasury ETF?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

My thoughts on taking a position in long term fixed income is strictly personal and depends on your situation. Clearly if you think we have reached a peak in rates, of course you will get near the high yield and make money on price if rates go down. But what if they stick with QT and inflation remains, then you are either stuck with duration at an okay rate, but will lose on price. Of course you can always sell at a loss and redeploy. I am strictly in short term b/c they offer the highest yield, but carry the largest duration risk b/c if rates plummet, then we are stuck with cash at maturity and less attractive yields. But I think we are in a window of uncertainty and do not see longer rates getting away in either direction, but if you wanted long term as an investment, I would look to 3-10 year Investment Grade Corps. You can get between 5 and 6 percent on those, if you are willing to hold, that is not bad. They are liquid and almost, but not quite as guaranteed as US Govies. But the curve is saying hey, they may try and raise short term rates, but down the line inflation poses little risk hence long term yielding sub 4%. So if that is the case why not go high grade corporate for an extra 150 basis points.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mostly sitting tight, outside of a JPM and S&P fund in an IRA. Lightest year I can ever recall. Two individual holdings, only one added last year(CC). Like others, I’ve found myself looking for CDs and have one at 4.8. Still feels odd doing that, but I’ll probably be looking for more this year unless we really dip and I see some opportunities. I’ll probably follow FF on his S&P call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator