2023 Investing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You just stick to Crete from here on out
:lol2: I guess I should have put the old "this isn't financial advice" disclaimer at the beginning of my post....especially since the dollar has gone up everyday since my post about it heading down last thursday.....:facepalm:

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Alright not investing advice and I know Jim has predicted 30 of the last 3 recessions but if you want your mind blown go to about the 43-44 minute mark.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I have not seen or heard about Rickards in quite a while, but then again I don;t search for a lot of this stuff, but I do appreciate you posting this stuff Crete. Before I saw who it was and only saw the Big Print and Numbers I thought "Must be Harry Dent", LOL

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I have not seen or heard about Rickards in quite a while, but then again I don;t search for a lot of this stuff, but I do appreciate you posting this stuff Crete. Before I saw who it was and only saw the Big Print and Numbers I thought "Must be Harry Dent", LOL
I think it might have been you that once told me most economist are like a stopped watch....

I do wonder where he gets his numbers but he seem to rattle them off with conviction. The part of the video I wanted to share with some is how once things start to go south how quickly everything can get sucked along....pretty scary about how leveraged and the total amount of derivatives in the worldwide financial system. It seems to steer one to owning a lot of things that are "real" or at least with positive cash flow just in case all the fake stuff catches fire... Pretty good take on the Tbills and demand for them too.

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
Fun fact, I used to write copy at Agora/Stansberry, and worked on a couple Jim Rickards promotions. Dent, too.

My favorite was when they had Rickards wearing shades and a sombrero.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I think it might have been you that once told me most economist are like a stopped watch....

I do wonder where he gets his numbers but he seem to rattle them off with conviction. The part of the video I wanted to share with some is how once things start to go south how quickly everything can get sucked along....pretty scary about how leveraged and the total amount of derivatives in the worldwide financial system. It seems to steer one to owning a lot of things that are "real" or at least with positive cash flow just in case all the fake stuff catches fire... Pretty good take on the Tbills and demand for them too.
Speaking of T_Bills, I just took a peek at my screen and the 6 month T_Bill is within whiff of 5% at 4.97. I just bought another good bit on Monday in the high 4.8's and will definitely play again this coming Monday at 5+. I was a bit early when I started but my larger layers start maturing next month. Who knows maybe I will get lucky and be able to roll them at 5+. Would be a nice problem to have :)

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Speaking of T_Bills, I just took a peek at my screen and the 6 month T_Bill is within whiff of 5% at 4.97. I just bought another good bit on Monday in the high 4.8's and will definitely play again this coming Monday at 5+. I was a bit early when I started but my larger layers start maturing next month. Who knows maybe I will get lucky and be able to roll them at 5+. Would be a nice problem to have :)
The 12 and 18 month are moving up against the 6.....is that a sure sign that inflation/rates will linger at least into the summertime?
Most of my 6 month durations come due in May/June and were bought around 4.75 ish but I have a brokered CD coming due in a couple of weeks that was at 4.00 and I'm thinking of parking that into 12-18 duration if it stays close to 5.00. Some of those maturing 6 months I own will probably be deployed back into stocks as I foresee the markets being a beaten down sh!tshow by Mayish.....then again who knows.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Yes I think it does mean rates will inger higher for longer on the front end. It might just be that the market is coming around to the FED verbiage that rates will not be cut at the first sign of slowness. There was an argument to buy long duration when the 10yr was around 4% b/c most viewed that was a high rate and you would make on price when rates dropped. Makes sense, but for people who think like us, I liked the higher, shorter rate b/c I viewed that short rates would not drop and we could have optionality at maturity, given our willingness to go into other areas.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It's 1977 all over again!
It's interesting to think about stuff like that but at the same time frustrating because we don't know how the monetary system will change the course or at what speed. Some of you older f vckers would probably know when the first doses of QE were doled out. Was it before or after the dot com bubble?

If it were a matter of just doing what worked before I'd be happier than a pig in sh!t but how much has technology, monetary policy, workforce participation and other factors changed the equation? At 58 years old I sure as hell hope I guess right.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It's interesting to think about stuff like that but at the same time frustrating because we don't know how the monetary system will change the course or at what speed. Some of you older f vckers would probably know when the first doses of QE were doled out.

At 58 years old I sure as hell hope I guess right.

1675879367258.gif

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This morning's 6 month T-Bill just before the CPI release. When was the last time you saw this?

US 6-MO5.028+0.003
Ironically.....
The 6-month T-bill rate rose to 5.028% as of Tuesday morning, and hasn’t ended the New York session at that level since July 2007, according to Tradeweb. The last time the 6-month yield went above 5% on an intraday basis and finished at 5% or higher was on Aug. 8, 2007.

Can we just get this recession/depression started already......

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Ironically.....
The 6-month T-bill rate rose to 5.028% as of Tuesday morning, and hasn’t ended the New York session at that level since July 2007, according to Tradeweb. The last time the 6-month yield went above 5% on an intraday basis and finished at 5% or higher was on Aug. 8, 2007.

Can we just get this recession/depression started already......
No let's not get it started, LOL. I like these 100% risk free rates at these levels:lol:. And if I was sitting on the mountain of cash I know you have I would like them even more.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
No let's not get it started, LOL. I like these 100% risk free rates at these levels:lol:. And if I was sitting on the mountain of cash I know you have I would like them even more.
Interesting thought of the day. I too like the risk free rates around 5% considering I have shaky faith in the stock market. I came to an interesting thought today regarding the rates and RE more specifically one of my rentals. I owe 73K on a house I have roughly 275k equity in. If I took the 73K out of my trading account(not retirement account) and paid the house off after taking out enough of the monthly rent to cover taxes and insurance I would get a 16.5% return on my money annually and pay myself back in 6 years and save 10k interest paid until what would be maturity on the 15 year mortgage(I have about 7 years left at current payment).

I hate throwing that much cash at anything at one time though and would give up a 3.875% investment rate. It would also use up a good chunk, about 50K in that account that is soaking at 4.80% in TBills ....decisions decisions.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Interesting thought of the day. I too like the risk free rates around 5% considering I have shaky faith in the stock market. I came to an interesting thought today regarding the rates and RE more specifically one of my rentals. I owe 73K on a house I have roughly 275k equity in. If I took the 73K out of my trading account(not retirement account) and paid the house off after taking out enough of the monthly rent to cover taxes and insurance I would get a 16.5% return on my money annually and pay myself back in 6 years and save 10k interest paid until what would be maturity on the 15 year mortgage(I have about 7 years left at current payment).

I hate throwing that much cash at anything at one time though and would give up a 3.875% investment rate. It would also use up a good chunk, about 50K in that account that is soaking at 4.80% in TBills ....decisions decisions.
Why is that a decision? I mean I understand the math, trust me, but the idea of an investment property is to get SOMEONE ELSE to pay for it. You have that as long as it is rented and it sounds like you are cash flow positive given the low interest rate. So you have some tax advantages by not paying it off, and though you may have already realized the greatest price appreciation, I doubt a property that price will decrease much if at all in the future? And if you decide to eventually do that, by rolling that money into short term Bills you can wait for maturity or if you needed the money you could also sell them.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
you are cash flow positive given the low interest rate.
Break even....don't ask. The longer I wait the less of the 10K in interest I'll capture too.....I'm not a big believer in leverage although I know it works out better for some people....Free and clear gives me a feeling of control I like. Also if rates shoot up really high it would drive down the price(equity) but would open the door to some creative owner financing at a high rate....Tax write offs with investment property....well they happen :whistle:

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Ve4g6WBUWmtt.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.