Gator Baseball 2024 Baseball Thread; Gators wasting Caglione

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
6-3 headed to the 9th. Kudos to Slater after getting off to a terrible start, retired the next 10 hitters he faced. 3 1/3 innings in a stressful situation. I am guessing Neely pitches the 9th but would love to add a lot of insurance. Ball flies out of that park very easily. No lead is safe.
Neely throws strikes, sometimes the opponent hits his pitches, sometimes they do not. I will gladly take a strike thrower at the back end. Good start to an important weekend. Miami may be a little off this year looking at their results, which could be said about the Gators too.

I really like the Albert kid. I wonder if Sully would consider moving Shelton to third and sliding Albert into SS when Kurland is back at full strength. Thomas could become our utility infielder.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Neely throws strikes, sometimes the opponent hits his pitches, sometimes they do not. I will gladly take a strike thrower at the back end. Good start to an important weekend. Miami may be a little off this year looking at their results, which could be said about the Gators too.

I really like the Albert kid. I wonder if Sully would consider moving Shelton to third and sliding Albert into SS when Kurland is back at full strength. Thomas could become our utility infielder.
Agree on all, especially the Albert idea. I am not a Thomas guy either at the plate or defensively tho they say he is a good defender. I know Shelton was a SS in HS but so was India and Shelton's hands and glove are nowhere near India, Arm is good but seems a little shaky to me.

Neely seems to either but just off the plate or right in the meat of it. Never seems to have a clean inning, especially for a closer. Tho I know tonight was not a save situation.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Not a good opening. Peterson looks lost into the second. He is wild today. and cannot stop the long ball. Trouble today.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Our pitching blows ass. This is gonna be a long season unfortunately.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
This isn't what we needed to see. Our pitching today has sucked and hitting has been ,yawn. Not overly encouraging.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
This isn't what we needed to see. Our pitching today has sucked and hitting has been ,yawn. Not overly encouraging.
i've got my rally hat on in the chatbox...
Roll Go GIF by Carter Chevrolet

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We've got more hits, but they lead by 4. Walks and HBPs once again killing us. Sully is supposed to be some pitching guru but the last 3 seasons our pitching has been our kryptonite.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
We've got more hits, but they lead by 4. Walks and HBPs once again killing us. Sully is supposed to be some pitching guru but the last 3 seasons our pitching has been our kryptonite.
At times you are full of schitt! Last season we were the only team in D1 baseball to start the same rotation every single weekend. We made it to the final game of the CWS before losing. if that was kryptonite give me a giant helping.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Grayson Smith came in in the 8th with 2 on O out. Hit the first batter on the foot to load the bases. Then gets a fly out, but deep enough to the run from third. Then gets 2 more outs.

6 to 10 going to the ninth.

Gators do get a baserunner, but he does not get passed first.

Canes 10

Gators 6

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
At times you are full of schitt! Last season we were the only team in D1 baseball to start the same rotation every single weekend. We made it to the final game of the CWS before losing. if that was kryptonite give me a giant helping.
We made it there but there was a lot of bad pitching throughout the season, cags specifically. And that pitching is why we lost. You're eyes are full of sht if you can't see that.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
We made it there but there was a lot of bad pitching throughout the season, cags specifically. And that pitching is why we lost. You're eyes are full of sht if you can't see that.
I usually enjoy your perspective. It is apparent you are clueless concerning starting pitching in SEC baseball. Carry on with you whining!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I was at the game today, Very disappointing. Not the result per se, but just how the game transpired. Credit to the team for not packing it in after the 2nd inning. Kudos to Peterson for hanging in there after the first two innings. But never once felt like we were going to really come back or threaten. Started with getting our first two hitters of the game on base and then meekly going down with nothing to show for it. But the scrotUM starting pitcher had a tough arm angle and ball to pick up with decent stuff, so I know it was not easy. Both big innings that Peterson allowed began with (wait for it) a walk/free pass before a 3 run HR then a 2 run HR. Granted the 2 run HR was wind aided but so was Thomas's 3 run HR that gave us a bit of life. But that is how that park typically plays. Surprisingly both pitching staffs allowed SIX free passes, yet it seemed as though UF gave up more. Why? B/C UF does not seem to take advantage of those gifts nearly as often as the opponent does. SIX free passes for a UF pitching staff seems manageable by historical standards, but when they bite, they bite hard. I say it multiple times every year in these baseball threads, but allowing SOLO HR's in college baseball will not get you beaten consistently. It is those multiple run innings like today that just put you in such a bind that you begin pressing and it is difficult to mount a serious challenge. Sans the one pitch Peterson put on a tee for the hitter in the first inning and his free passes, he was not terrible. Just his mistakes are much easier to pick up than say that cross throwing scrotUM lefty when he made a mistake.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Tomorrow is a big day for Cags. He has a series victory on his broad shoulders and it is time for him to deliver big on the mound. I opined early I thought he should be our Friday night starter and I will stay with that opinion until he proves differently. There is no excuse for him not to dominate the Canes tomorrow.

If he does what he is capable of doing we should win big.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tomorrow is a big day for Cags. He has a series victory on his broad shoulders and it is time for him to deliver big on the mound. I opined early I thought he should be our Friday night starter and I will stay with that opinion until he proves differently. There is no excuse for him not to dominate the Canes tomorrow.

If he does what he is capable of doing we should win big.
I can’t disagree with you Joe. I pretty much felt the same last year about his pitching and spot in the rotation. He/We have a shot to take a big early season step tomorrow.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Good lord you would think we are facing Sandy Koufax with all these SO's

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.