Recruiting 2024 Early Signing Day Thread

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Except a lot of Mullins commits never got to campus or were kicked out.
I don't think the BN classes reflect an adjustment for all the players he has lost thru the portal and attrition either., so while the comparison is interesting I'm not sure it reflects anything relevant.

jbaker07

Oct 15, 2017
This is at least something to hang your hat on.

I am not going to pretend that signing day went the way that anyone wanted. But if there is one thing about this class, it's that a generational quarterback can mask a lot of problem areas a team may have. This is especially true in the college game. Now I am not saying that Lagway is absolutely such a QB, as he isn't even on campus yet. However, if he is fact "HIM," then that will give us a chance to win a lot of games. Of course this assumes that we can get some linemen to block for him, and he stays on campus for all the years of his collegiate experience. Both of which I would put in the highly "dubious" category. But I guess time will tell.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Reading the UF part made me sad.

While the Gators did hold on to five-star quarterback D.J. Lagway, who was being targeted by Texas A&M, Florida lost nine recruits throughout the entire process, including ESPN 300 safety Xavier Filsaime, who flipped to Texas on Dec. 18.

Filsaime is the No. 42 recruit overall and the No. 2 safety in the class. The Longhorns were also able to get ESPN 300 running back Jerrick Gibson, the No. 34 recruit, who decommitted from Florida very early in the process.

Follow ESPN recruiting​

2024-ESPN-300-Launch_16x9_608x342.jpg

Complete recruiting coverage »
Class rankings » | ESPN 300 »
2024 position breakdown »
Looking ahead to 2025 » | Commits »

Texas flipped ESPN 300 corner Wardell Mackfrom the Gators as well. Mack is the No. 263 recruit overall and flipped in November.

Florida also lost five-star defensive lineman Jamonta Waller and four-star DE Amaris Williams, who both flipped to Auburn. Waller is the No. 19 recruit overall and the No. 4 defensive end in the class.

This is still a good haul for Florida, but it could've been a lot better, and the signing day process doesn't instill a lot of confidence given how many recruits almost flipped, or considered flipping, near the end.

BUT

I LOVED what happened to FSU. I was so involved in our class I didn’t realize that both their 5*s flipped.

Does Florida State have a 'closing' problem?

i

This is the best class Mike Norvell has signed during his tenure in Tallahassee. The Seminoles have also had tremendous success signing players from the transfer portal. However, this cycle saw them lose their top two players in the class (K.J. Bolden, Armondo Blount) on signing day. This was also the second time Norvell & Co. lost five-star recruits on signing day after Travis Hunter flipped to Jackson State two years ago.

Bolden, the No. 16 overall prospect, had Auburn and Georgia in pursuit up until the start of the early signing period. On Wednesday, Bolden flipped to Georgia. Blount, a five-star defensive lineman who flipped from Miami in October, flipped back to the Canes at the end of the day. Those losses put a damper on a class that has 12 ESPN 300 commits.

The Seminoles did sign ESPN 300 quarterback Luke Kromenhoek, the No. 160 prospect overall and the No. 8 pocket passer, and could finish with a top-10 class, but closing out at the end of the process still needs some work.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Also - interesting tidbit, Jordan Seaton did not sign his NLI

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jeremiah Smith still has not signed his NLI.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hey, how great was today? We were #3 recruiting class two weeks ago and today Commander Numbnuts logged a class ranked 15 - 17 just like his predecessor Mullin. What a fantastic day today was!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I am not going to pretend that signing day went the way that anyone wanted. But if there is one thing about this class, it's that a generational quarterback can mask a lot of problem areas a team may have. This is especially true in the college game. Now I am not saying that Lagway is absolutely such a QB, as he isn't even on campus yet. However, if he is fact "HIM," then that will give us a chance to win a lot of games. Of course this assumes that we can get some linemen to block for him, and he stays on campus for all the years of his collegiate experience. Both of which I would put in the highly "dubious" category. But I guess time will tell.
To add to your caveats, it also helps if a so-called generational QB plays in a system that allows those talents to be used, ala Daniels at LSU. supposedly SlingBlade had a generational QB here in Year 1 but unfortunately could not read pass coverages or throw for shyt, but thought he could. but sure could run like a gazelle and with strength, yet did not want to or did not have enough plays called for him to run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.