2024 Investing Thread

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
My resolution is to remember the old saying that you make money WHEN you buy.
Last year I really stuck to my guns and only added stocks when there was a minimal of a 10-15% drop. Of course, it helped that many stocks had already dropped 30-50% from the prior year.
It was also easy not to overbuy when you could keep turning over short term cash at better than 5%. That window is starting to close so I will begin to take larger positions on drops when the opportunity presents itself while still keeping a 40% position in short term cash(I'm at about 60% now). All in all I would give myself a B for 2023. I wish I had taken a bigger position in Crowdstrike, AMD, Sentinel One and wish I would have added more aggressively to Rolls Royce and UEC. The one big blunder I made was buying LAC on the way down before the company split and all the BS in Argentina.

Most of my resource stocks rebounded nicely the last 2 months of the year however many that were paying double digit dividends like BHP and Vale cut their dividends down to the 5-6% range.

Happy hunting to everyone this year and keep your eyes open for those sizable corrections we usually get later this month.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I am all aboard the train to making mo' money this year and I had no intentions of selling any stock today, but what do you know look what is catching a bid today, LOL? All the garbage that no one ever talks about anymore. Drugs, Ute's, cigarette's, Cell carriers, LOL. When is the last time much of this stuff caught a bid, 2-4 years ago, LOL? They could not wait until the turn of the year to unload their huge winners and have 15 months to find the money to pay the taxes. Oh well guess it will be short lived but it took 5 minutes for them to hit the sell button. Good luck errbody.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I am all aboard the train to making mo' money this year and I had no intentions of selling any stock today, but what do you know look what is catching a bid today, LOL? All the garbage that no one ever talks about anymore. Drugs, Ute's, cigarette's, Cell carriers, LOL. When is the last time much of this stuff caught a bid, 2-4 years ago, LOL? They could not wait until the turn of the year to unload their huge winners and have 15 months to find the money to pay the taxes. Oh well guess it will be short lived but it took 5 minutes for them to hit the sell button. Good luck errbody.
Any word on the latest bond auctions...I heard they had a hard time giving away 7yr last week?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Any word on the latest bond auctions...I heard they had a hard time giving away 7yr last week?
Starts this week. announcements on the 3, 10, and 30 this Thursday to be auctioned next week. Calendar appears that they are auctioning these monthly now, as opposed to quarterly. It will be interesting to see how much of each. As far as the 7 year, that is an odd duration and never seems to get a lot of interested buyers.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Starts this week. announcements on the 3, 10, and 30 this Thursday to be auctioned next week. Calendar appears that they are auctioning these monthly now, as opposed to quarterly. It will be interesting to see how much of each. As far as the 7 year, that is an odd duration and never seems to get a lot of interested buyers.
How does longer term issuance effect rates? Not sure if I heard it correctly on Bloomberg this morning but I think they said they were going to be issuing more longer term paper which in their opinion would slide rates higher again? The 10yr bounced up again and I noticed the DXY bounced off of 100 last week and is approaching 103 again.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
How does longer term issuance effect rates? Not sure if I heard it correctly on Bloomberg this morning but I think they said they were going to be issuing more longer term paper which in their opinion would slide rates higher again? The 10yr bounced up again and I noticed the DXY bounced off of 100 last week and is approaching 103 again.
You heard correctly as typically the larger the issuance, the higher the cost, especially at longer durations, hence a positive sloping yield curve. Bur it also depends on the appetite and what buyers are out there. Is China and Japan still big buyers or are the Japs buying more of their own JGB's due to higher rates there and currency conversion. And what is happening domestically here. As you know as stocks falter rates usually drop. But lets be honest 4% for ten years is a heckuva lot less interesting to pensions, insurance cos. or endowments as 5% was just a few months ago.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I don't know, but I'm happy because I have to make several large payments in EUR in the next week.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Speaking of the 10 yr bounce, that thing kissed 4% today and retreated even faster than it did the day it touched 5%.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Not sure if I made a mistake or not...actually 2...I took a position in UNG(see chart) and bought some of a shipping wet company, ASC....I missed a pretty good move in ASC but it's not very far off a yearly low and paying 8% dividend.....Hoopdi pirates or whatever you call them got me thinking shipping charges are going to skyrocket....we'll see

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Speaking of the 10 yr bounce, that thing kissed 4% today and retreated even faster than it did the day it touched 5%.
Yup...we got a nice rush of purchase orders at the end of last month and quite a few full title orders for refi's(deeeevorces are coming out of the woodwork) but after seeing yesterday's news and this mornings I was getting a little worried again....Ol Jay Boy better start cutting like Art Grindle before too long or old crete is going to be getting an unwanted haircut...

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
Last week bought more ABXXF (+31% - avg cost 8.12) But losing money on last week's purchase.
This week bought TCPC (currently +4.38%) and GO (currently -2.92%)

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let’s see how much BA gets punished. I dont own any anymore, but the bloodshed this week will be tempting.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
When it goes it's gonna go quickly. I saw another story yesterday that showed household employment data for December was the 3rd worst since 2008. It takes into account seasonal and part time jobs as well as reduced hours worked. Folks, we're being outright lied to or at least those that don't dig deeper into the data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator