Recruiting 2024 Recruiting Thread: 4* 315 pound DL D'antre Robinson commits

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Considering how young both our offense & defense is, I'd think the opposite.
Why?

Even if Marshall and Kimber go pro, Moore is locked in at one CB and then you have Johnson and Jackson at the other. So he’s battling the other Freshman (Foster) for second string reps. What happens if we actually get a 5* stud in ‘25? Then he’s batting underclassmen too.

Obviously injuries happen and opportunities happen. But Billy isn’t playing freshmen for the sake of it, he’s playing those who have earned it.

At the end of it all, I don’t blame Mincey if he wants a sure shot to the field. You can only develop so much in practice.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Why?

Even if Marshall and Kimber go pro, Moore is locked in at one CB and then you have Johnson and Jackson at the other. So he’s battling the other Freshman (Foster) for second string reps. What happens if we actually get a 5* stud in ‘25? Then he’s batting underclassmen too.

Obviously injuries happen and opportunities happen. But Billy isn’t playing freshmen for the sake of it, he’s playing those who have earned it.

At the end of it all, I don’t blame Mincey if he wants a sure shot to the field. You can only develop so much in practice.
I’m with you on this. If a guy can prove in practice he understands his assignments and is top 2-3 at his position, Armstrong and CBN will play him.

If Mincey were at all in doubt, I’d point to Bryce Thornton. Guy was a high 3*/low 4* coming out of HS who didn’t get a lot of attention. He’s worked himself upto 2nd team safety and is getting significant reps. We could easily be starting two freshmen at that position by seasons end.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I’m with you on this. If a guy can prove in practice he understands his assignments and is top 2-3 at his position, Armstrong and CBN will play him.

If Mincey were at all in doubt, I’d point to Bryce Thornton. Guy was a high 3*/low 4* coming out of HS who didn’t get a lot of attention. He’s worked himself upto 2nd team safety and is getting significant reps. We could easily be starting two freshmen at that position by seasons end.
Exactly. We have a bunch to learn from what this staff will do. But one thing is for certain, if you are the better player, work hard, and show it...you're going to play no matter if you're a FR or SR. Some may disagree but....I think this does show recruits that if you're talented and capable of the work, why not come here. If you're legit, you'll play early. And also, it will make all the players put forth their best effort.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
This staff is like that now, because yhey need to win. But it's possible that once they get their system fully initiated and in place after year 3, they become a traditional coaching staff that matriculates players based on year and talent, because they've all been properly developed.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
This staff is like that now, because yhey need to win. But it's possible that once they get their system fully initiated and in place after year 3, they become a traditional coaching staff that matriculates players based on year and talent, because they've all been properly developed.
Lots of things are possible, but right now a recruit can only go off what he sees is actually happening and that's the best players are playing. Let's go back to Thornton again. One of the guys he leapfrogged, Kamari Wilson, was the #2 rated guy in CBN's first class.

And what your describing is only happening if we are winning. Bigly. At that point, hopefully we've put a bunch guys in the NFL and the sales pitch changes. For now it's an honest pitch to say no matter your class, the best guys play.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I agree with you, I think Thornton could make that push at or prior to UGA. He plays better against UK and Vandy and his snap count will likely jump

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Lots of things are possible, but right now a recruit can only go off what he sees is actually happening and that's the best players are playing. Let's go back to Thornton again. One of the guys he leapfrogged, Kamari Wilson, was the #2 rated guy in CBN's first class.

And what your describing is only happening if we are winning. Bigly. At that point, hopefully we've put a bunch guys in the NFL and the sales pitch changes. For now it's an honest pitch to say no matter your class, the best guys play.
Agreed.

But my scenario is for NEXT year. So it wouldn't surprise me if we're still here talking about how our coaches do what they do because "last year they did X, Y, Z but this year they're doing A, B, C." The point is that they may change based on program process and player development. Yet I'm fine if they don't and simply continue to play the most talented.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Agreed.

But my scenario is for NEXT year. So it wouldn't surprise me if we're still here talking about how our coaches do what they do because "last year they did X, Y, Z but this year they're doing A, B, C." The point is that they may change based on program process and player development. Yet I'm fine if they don't and simply continue to play the most talented.
It's hard to predict at the moment because the '24 class hasn't finalized, and we don't know who the early enrollees are going to be and who on the current team will be leaving, but I could see several players among the current group who could potentially get significant playing time. Assuming they arrive in January, Lagway for sure, but also Xavier Filsaime, Fletcher Westphal, Amir Jackson, and at least one or more of the WRs and LBs I fully expect to see on the field. Of the guys we are still chasing, Mincey, McCray, and Seaton would potentially all see quality playing time next fall. (I've become convince we have very little chance flipping Jeremiah Smith, but he would probably be a day 1 starter if he came to UF.) I'm sure the folks here who follow it more closely than I could name some others. And hey, besides all that, worry about NEXT year next year.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
With the portal, coaches can't afford not to play guys. They'll just leave and then you've wasted all that recruiting time and a slot in the class.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There’s chatter that he may have committed to Miami.

But who knows?
Frustrated Austin Powers GIF

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think we get Smith, because I think Hartline leaves OSU. Just a feeling that he’ll get some sort of offer, maybe NFL, and bolt. I think we’re next on his list

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
I think we get Smith, because I think Hartline leaves OSU. Just a feeling that he’ll get some sort of offer, maybe NFL, and bolt. I think we’re next on his list
Like an offer at either Michigan State or Northwestern? At least I'm hoping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.