Recruiting 2024 Recruiting Thread: 4* 315 pound DL D'antre Robinson commits

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I love his comment about committing now and getting started on a number one class. That’s what you want to see from your QB. Really hope it’s us.
Yeah. This class could be an absolute beast.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
dj lagway.jpg
chance-so-youre-tellin-me.gif

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It’s down to us and Clemson.

Napier is focusing on 2 QBs. Lagway and Merklinger. Lagway is ranked higher. He’s in the mold of AR. Just a tad more accurate.

But I think Merklinger is special. Watch this video.

So I put on my QB evaluator hat and watched the video you linked along with the latest highlight video 247 had of Lagway (his sophomore season), and these are my thoughts after watching the two QBs:

- Merklinger sees the field well and can drop dimes. Some of his deep throws are late and his receivers end up slowing down for the ball a little, but it's to be expected. Any team that is looking for a pure pocket passer would be silly to overlook this kid. Has some wheels, too, so not useless when it comes to a broken play or running just enough to keep the defense honest.

- Lagway has a weird throwing motion. That's the first thing that stood out from his highlights to me. The rest of the time I was thinking that this is the type of QB that Napier needs for his system. Despite the throwing motion, his passes are accurate, but more importantly is what he can do with his feet. He's not afraid to tuck it and run, nor take a hit while running. He seems to have a great feeling for when the pocket is about to collapse and get out of there before he finds himself in trouble. This is key for Napier, as his simplistic passing game often times will place our QB in the position of needing to make something out of nothing.

If I was asked to bet on which QB has a better chance to start on Sundays in the future, it would be Merklinger. However, when it comes to Gator football and more importantly running Napier's offense? Gotta go with Lagway. Personally, I'd be happy with either QB, but the fact that a top-ranked class will follow along with Lagway? Yeah, that's hard to pass up.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So I put on my QB evaluator hat and watched the video you linked along with the latest highlight video 247 had of Lagway (his sophomore season), and these are my thoughts after watching the two QBs:

- Merklinger sees the field well and can drop dimes. Some of his deep throws are late and his receivers end up slowing down for the ball a little, but it's to be expected. Any team that is looking for a pure pocket passer would be silly to overlook this kid. Has some wheels, too, so not useless when it comes to a broken play or running just enough to keep the defense honest.

- Lagway has a weird throwing motion. That's the first thing that stood out from his highlights to me. The rest of the time I was thinking that this is the type of QB that Napier needs for his system. Despite the throwing motion, his passes are accurate, but more importantly is what he can do with his feet. He's not afraid to tuck it and run, nor take a hit while running. He seems to have a great feeling for when the pocket is about to collapse and get out of there before he finds himself in trouble. This is key for Napier, as his simplistic passing game often times will place our QB in the position of needing to make something out of nothing.

If I was asked to bet on which QB has a better chance to start on Sundays in the future, it would be Merklinger. However, when it comes to Gator football and more importantly running Napier's offense? Gotta go with Lagway. Personally, I'd be happy with either QB, but the fact that a top-ranked class will follow along with Lagway? Yeah, that's hard to pass up.
Oh, hell yeah!

That's a quarterback. I know the competition sucks but this kid stands in the pocket and continues to look downfield, knowing he will be hit. And, he looks to be a willing runner. He will be a year behind Rashada so he has time to catch up to the speed of the game.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Is this going to be another McClain scenario, where he picks someone other than UF and everyone looks at him in shock?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is this going to be another McClain scenario, where he picks someone other than UF and everyone looks at him in shock?
60-40 us. Against USC. Our entire staff against Lincoln Riley. Who he really likes because of his production with QBs.

Signs point to us but don’t count him out.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
60-40 us. Against USC. Our entire staff against Lincoln Riley. Who he really likes because of his production with QBs.

Signs point to us but don’t count him out.
Reading that makes me instantly think we get the coveted runner-up prize again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator