Recruiting 2024 Transfer Portal Thread: Washington starting Safety Asa Turner headed to UF

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yes it would, but mom would have to eat some crow if “RB2” were to remain a Gator.
He'll probably go somewhere and struggle in a completely new system - we already know he doesn't block. He's crazy to do this with one year left.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If ETN were to withdraw from the portal, what would be the general reaction from fans? I’d certainly forgive and forget.
I could forgive but the forget won't be as easy, not that I couldn't. But, when things go like this he has opened himself up for the criticism that would come his way. And I would tend to criticize if so, but I would still support. And first of all, tell you Bruh to worry about his performances in JAX and STFU. They both have work to do.

There’s some speculation that he might. I think he had a pretty strong NIL from Florida. Running back is one of those positions where you can kind of plug and play. If he left because he wants to win then he should go to a program where he can. If he left because of NIL, he’s foolish.
Yes, agreed. Just the rationale that is leading to the smoke for sure. Kids are going to have to learn that the Portal is tricky and many have been saying you go in there you may not come out. If he comes back, so be it and I'd be happy to see him ripping off those long runs for sure. But also, it would be like...."he tell Trav to STFU and how's your pass blocking going"?

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
He'll probably go somewhere and struggle in a completely new system - we already know he doesn't block. He's crazy to do this with one year left.
Agreed but if Montrelle is coming back , ETN will get about the same amount of carries

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed but if Montrelle is coming back , ETN will get about the same amount of carries
First off, that isn't necessarily true - I think he'd get more time. Secondly, even if it was, ETN is still getting a lot of touches (152 last year in 11 games), certainly enough to get all the NFL attention he needs. You guys act like he was getting 4 carries a game. It's not like it was a Dameon Pierce situation. If there was any RB ever that should have transferred, it was Pierce.

ETN is not a big guy. Could he even physically handle 20+ carries a game without breaking down? His brother is taller and heavier than him.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
First off, that isn't necessarily true - I think he'd get more time. Secondly, even if it was, ETN is still getting a lot of touches (152 last year), certainly enough to get all the NFL attention he needs. You guys act like he was getting 4 carries a game. It's not like it was a Dameon Pierce situation. If there was any RB ever that should have transferred, it was Pierce.

ETN is not a big guy. Could he even physically handle 20+ carries a game without breaking down? His brother is taller and heavier than him.
He did have his nicks and dings this year especially with this shoulder that at times limited him. At 5'9" he should spend this last year before the NFL getting his game refined and getting stronger, not learning a new system. It's apparent and has been that he's listening to Big Bruh more than anything else. We'll see if he returns to a UF RB that is pretty crowded.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He did have his nicks and dings this year especially with this shoulder that at times limited him. At 5'9" he should spend this last year before the NFL getting his game refined and getting stronger, not learning a new system. It's apparent and has been that he's listening to Big Bruh more than anything else. We'll see if he returns to a UF RB that is pretty crowded.
I don't think there's a chance in hell he's coming back, especially after his family fought with fans on Twitter.

Oh well, RB's are the last position I ever worry about. The NFL has the same mindset.

Kevlo911

Oct 29, 2019
Pretty sure it was our fans fighting with them on social media, that's why his mom responded with why is everyone so mad about losing rb2.

If you see some of the **** our "fans" tell players, recruits, and their families it's pretty wild

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If ETN were to withdraw from the portal, what would be the general reaction from fans? I’d certainly forgive and forget.
His explosive rate (10 plus yards) was like twice as likely as Montrell. I think it was something like once every 20 carries for Montrell and once every 10 for ETN.

He and Trey ARE the offense, and made up for a lot of DUMB DUMB playcalling. Of course we gladly take him back. He just needs use other than the first two series and the 4th quarter. It's like Mullen and Pierce all over again.

Im not sure I see him coming back though.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
His explosive rate (10 plus yards) was like twice as likely as Montrell. I think it was something like once every 20 carries for Montrell and once every 10 for ETN.

He and Trey ARE the offense, and made up for a lot of DUMB DUMB playcalling. Of course we gladly take him back. He just needs use other than the first two series and the 4th quarter. It's like Mullen and Pierce all over again.

ETN had 152 touches in 11 games - that's not anywhere freaking close to the Pierce situation. If he had been able to pass protect better, there's no question in my mind he would have played a lot more. He also needs to put 10 more pounds on.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ETN had 152 touches in 11 games - that's not anywhere freaking close to the Pierce situation. If he had been able to pass protect better, there's no question in my mind he would have played a lot more. He also needs to put 10 more pounds on.
I wonder if there isn't a "keep him fresh" for the 4th quarter going on, so we can shank their asses with ETN and Trey. I actually think Mullen was doing that too. I think it is dumb but some conservative coaches do schiff like that.

His biggest problem seems to be big brother and family talking in his ear. He is a definite talent as has stuff you can't teach.

Fred Taylor couldn't block for schiff either, oddly, given how big he was. We always tended to pull him and put T Jack or Elijah on passing downs, who could both block better and catch too. That works. And Billy has been so incredibly predictable about running downs it wouldn't hurt to have a tell like that.

Doubt he returns regardless and as good as he says, I agree that RB (and DE Princely) are absolutely the places where we can use guys, especially guys with bad attitudes and huge holes in their games.

Trey Webb is a good back. He has more power than I expected and I know he has receiving hands we havent even seen yet. Like he could be a WR his hands are so good. Can't wait to see more.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Winning or losing had zero to do with why he left. Of that I'm sure of.

It would be hilarious if he returned. By God, he's only got one year left and then he's off to the NFL, which I'm certain is all he cares about. He would be getting a ton of carries here. Leaving is flat-out dumb.
And the NFL doesn’t care about RBs. And even less about running backs who don’t know how to pass block.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If anything, splitting carries gave ETN the ability to be fresh for the NFL , and reduce risk of injury. He’s to small to be an every down back.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Montrell Johnson had 182 touches in 12 games, so both backs averaged right around 15 touches a game. They were 1A and 1B, it didn't matter who started. ETN's mother calling him RB2 is ridiculous and she knows it. There's no question ETN was more explosive but Johnson has always been a rock-solid back who can shed tackles and has good hands. I think he's going to get drafted.

Despite ETN having twice as many explosive plays, he barely had a better YPC than Johnson - 5.7 to 5.4. Same with receiving averages - 8.2 to 7.9. My point is, Johnson is a good RB and it didn't break my heart to see him getting the damn football. The hand-wringing from so many of the weirdos here every time Montrell got a handoff was embarrassing.

Football has become a RB-by-committee sport, which is why RB values have dropped off a cliff. It's hard for me to see ETN going to another school and then them risking him getting hurt by giving him 25 touches a game. Just doesn't work like that anymore. 15 touches a game is a pretty decent workload and keeps you healthy and fresh.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
If anything, splitting carries gave ETN the ability to be fresh for the NFL , and reduce risk of injury. He’s to small to be an every down back.
This is why transferring his last year is a head scratcher. He was getting plenty of opportunities and he had great numbers.

He's not an every down back.

What's to be gained?

Could it be as simple as ego? BN not starting him? Momma seems to think so.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is why transferring his last year is a head scratcher. He was getting plenty of opportunities and he had great numbers.

He's not an every down back.

What's to be gained?

Could it be as simple as ego? BN not starting him? Momma seems to think so.
To much big brother in his ear, and the last two losing seasons can’t have been much fun for players.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

I too don’t think he’ll be back and I also think Billy will happily put him back on the roster if he changes his mind. My question was more about the fans. Like I said, I don’t care that he considered leaving and will happily root for the guy. I just know some of our fellow Gator fans are not so understanding.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Winning or losing had zero to do with why he left. Of that I'm sure of.

It would be hilarious if he returned. By God, he's only got one year left and then he's off to the NFL, which I'm certain is all he cares about. He would be getting a ton of carries here. Leaving is flat-out dumb.

He's likely going to get the same amount of touches. With Montrell returning and Webb, it may be less actually. Should he be getting the majority of the touches? Yes without a doubt, but Billy doesn't understand that you feed your playmakers. Billy likes to starve his playmakers it seems.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I would rather have a real star, hybrid LB/safety playing star, not a third corner. This kid must be able to both cover and essentially play Sam linebacker in a bunch formation. A corner isnt the answer unless you are playing Oregon or Mumme.
This thought hit me the other day when I thought about Myles Graham and how he might best fit in next year. He is listed at about 215#....maybe a little too light for full time LBer duty but he hits like a truck and has the speed of a RB...Star may be a perfect fit as a freshmen.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
@GatorJ have you or @williston_gator heard anything on ETN? Would have thought with nearly two weeks of the portal being open and after ESD there would have been something about him. Saw one post on another site saying that he's not getting what he expected out of UGAy. But, that't the internet.
Shart got a look at that pass protection film and is like
No Way Do Not Want GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator