#4 Alabama vs. #1 Michigan

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
A B2 Stealth Bomber flies over the Rose Bowl before yesterday's game. Cool shot.

fa3f9c1c7ada772a9bef36a572db08eb.jpg

Was that picture taken by a Chinese weather balloon?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
It’s a general rule.

Here’s another one…don’t go for it against your arch rival on 4th & 1, with a shytty gimmick call no less, from your own 35 yard line to start the second quarter when you’re only down by 3, especially when you’ve moved the ball better than anyone expected at that point in the game.

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
I don't know what the percentage is now, but a few years ago the team that went on offense first in overtime lost 55% of the time overall. However, if they scored a touchdown they won over 70% of the time.

Going on defense first is only a significant advantage if you are able to keep them out of the end zone.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I don't know what the percentage is now, but a few years ago the team that went on offense first in overtime lost 55% of the time overall. However, if they scored a touchdown they won over 70% of the time.

Going on defense first is only a significant advantage if you are able to keep them out of the end zone.

That stat probably also includes games that went to a second OT or beyond, where the order is reversed and the first choice is irrelevant. But either way, it’s still a decided strategic advantage to know what you need and/or what you don’t need. As was mentioned, that’s not debatable.

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
That stat probably also includes games that went to a second OT or beyond, where the order is reversed and the first choice is irrelevant. But either way, it’s still a decided strategic advantage to know what you need and/or what you don’t need. As was mentioned, that’s not debatable.
I understand what you're saying, but sometimes a strategic advantage for the coach doesn't outweigh the psychological disadvantage for your QB to know that he needs a touchdown or the season is over. The anxiety can be too much for some QBs. And with all the pressure Milroe has been under this season it would have made more sense to put him out there first.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I understand what you're saying, but sometimes a strategic advantage for the coach doesn't outweigh the psychological disadvantage for your QB to know that he needs a touchdown or the season is over. The anxiety can be too much for some QBs. And with all the pressure Milroe has been under this season it would have made more sense to put him out there first.

OK, but let’s play out that angle. You’ve taken the ball first in OT. It’s 3rd and 7, and you run an RPO with a QB that doesn’t handle anxiety well. You’ve not only put him in a do-or-die moment, but to make matters worse, it’s not even clear cut that he has to make a play, because the other team could fumble the snap on the first play of their possession. So this already rattled QB doesn’t know if taking a small loss or throwing it away is perfectly fine because a FG will win it, or if he’s ending the season with his decision. So even there, it still makes more sense to have full knowledge of what you need or don’t need.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Saban himself said it was a qb draw that they didn’t block up well enough and got stuffed

It was probably either with the action to the flank designed to draw defenders away from the middle. The snap was low and Milroe isn't the quick-thinking type to execute a play like this, esp after it became broken.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It was probably either with the action to the flank designed to draw defenders away from the middle. The snap was low and Milroe isn't the quick-thinking type to execute a play like this, esp after it became broken.
The talking heads seemed unanimous that the low snap / Milroe drops head compressed the time to execute the RPO read and resulted in Milroe plowing ahead and being stopped. Saban, on the other hand, said on “Finebaum” that the call was QB run made by his OC (he made sure to point that out!) but that he was ok with the call. It just didn’t work. Bama fans were off the chain outraged and ready to run Nick off!

My take is that Milroe came a ways this season but probably could have used a little better supporting cast (OL was bested by Michigan) and the RPO, if executed, would’ve been a better call. Probably a trust issue put the run at the forefront. Watching the play from the end zone, left side had a back and a block free but again, Milroe dips to pick up the snap and plows forward. No time to read or no intention to? Either way, Michigan took away the first threat with their rush. They won the LOS battle that day and ultimately the game.

Hats off to Harbaugh and his D staff for a good game plan that kept Milroe bottled up and used a lot of loops and twists to free up rushers. They were confident in the secondary and LBs with a lot of zone coverages that took away the quick reads and gave time for the pass rush to develop and free some guys up. Pretty old school by today’s standards.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I liked the setup going left to the RB and with a pair of blockers. Of course, you can't see the entire field from that camera angle.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Milroe throwing was never an option. The easiest thing to do is get the snap and throw it immediately.

He was running it all the way.

This. It was a bad snap, but that play was doomed from the start, and was always designed to keep him from throwing.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
The talking heads seemed unanimous that the low snap / Milroe drops head compressed the time to execute the RPO read and resulted in Milroe plowing ahead and being stopped. Saban, on the other hand, said on “Finebaum” that the call was QB run made by his OC (he made sure to point that out!) but that he was ok with the call. It just didn’t work. Bama fans were off the chain outraged and ready to run Nick off!

My take is that Milroe came a ways this season but probably could have used a little better supporting cast (OL was bested by Michigan) and the RPO, if executed, would’ve been a better call. Probably a trust issue put the run at the forefront. Watching the play from the end zone, left side had a back and a block free but again, Milroe dips to pick up the snap and plows forward. No time to read or no intention to? Either way, Michigan took away the first threat with their rush. They won the LOS battle that day and ultimately the game.

Hats off to Harbaugh and his D staff for a good game plan that kept Milroe bottled up and used a lot of loops and twists to free up rushers. They were confident in the secondary and LBs with a lot of zone coverages that took away the quick reads and gave time for the pass rush to develop and free some guys up. Pretty old school by today’s standards.
Those "Bama" fans are insane. Every school has them too, not just Bama. I, and other Bama fans that I've spoken with, are definitely in favor of Saban running off Tommy Rees though... His job is to call plays that have the best chance to win the game. It is also to adjust to what the defense is doing to try and beat them. This is where he failed. He didn't adjust.

You guys want Rees?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Those "Bama" fans are insane. Every school has them too, not just Bama. I, and other Bama fans that I've spoken with, are definitely in favor of Saban running off Tommy Rees though... His job is to call plays that have the best chance to win the game. It is also to adjust to what the defense is doing to try and beat them. This is where he failed. He didn't adjust.

You guys want Rees?
Of course there’s a faction that’s insane. Winning only invigorates them and a loss sends them over the edge. But wouldn’t you rather have that than the “Meh, we tried” refrain?

Anyhow, it’s hilarious to me about wanting Saban to call the O. His particular specialty is on the D side (and he’s very good there). Not that he probably couldn’t, but I don’t think realistically you’d want your HC / CEO having to be shackled to that each game. It’s harder to do and keep all the other pieces in order than many may believe (Billy anyone?).

At the risk of beating a dead horse, the game was certainly winnable for Bama and sure, you can second guess the last play call to death, lambast Saban, tar and feather the OC, but how many times have you seen Saban and Co successful in a similar circumstance? Big difference is that his QB this season, while athletically gifted is still pretty raw in terms of overall big game experience with which to draw from. Also, think about how Bama won the LOS game against UGA but struggled against Michigan. They get the same productivity in this playoff game and we probably aren’t having this discussion. Michigan had a lot to say about the outcome.

Lastly, as disappointing as I know the loss was, I’m of the opinion that Bama maybe overachieved more than folks want to admit this season. Heck, their QB room was an absolute mess early on and I’ll tip my hat to Saban and staff for getting them as far as he did and what development they were able to do with Milroe, unfinished as he is, was a big part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator