#4 Alabama vs. #1 Michigan

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Those "Bama" fans are insane. Every school has them too, not just Bama. I, and other Bama fans that I've spoken with, are definitely in favor of Saban running off Tommy Rees though... His job is to call plays that have the best chance to win the game. It is also to adjust to what the defense is doing to try and beat them. This is where he failed. He didn't adjust.

You guys want Rees?

Sure, we'll trade you Sun Belt Billy for him straight up.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Of course there’s a faction that’s insane. Winning only invigorates them and a loss sends them over the edge. But wouldn’t you rather have that than the “Meh, we tried” refrain?

Anyhow, it’s hilarious to me about wanting Saban to call the O. His particular specialty is on the D side (and he’s very good there). Not that he probably couldn’t, but I don’t think realistically you’d want your HC / CEO having to be shackled to that each game. It’s harder to do and keep all the other pieces in order than many may believe (Billy anyone?).

At the risk of beating a dead horse, the game was certainly winnable for Bama and sure, you can second guess the last play call to death, lambast Saban, tar and feather the OC, but how many times have you seen Saban and Co successful in a similar circumstance? Big difference is that his QB this season, while athletically gifted is still pretty raw in terms of overall big game experience with which to draw from. Also, think about how Bama won the LOS game against UGA but struggled against Michigan. They get the same productivity in this playoff game and we probably aren’t having this discussion. Michigan had a lot to say about the outcome.

Lastly, as disappointing as I know the loss was, I’m of the opinion that Bama maybe overachieved more than folks want to admit this season. Heck, their QB room was an absolute mess early on and I’ll tip my hat to Saban and staff for getting them as far as he did and what development they were able to do with Milroe, unfinished as he is, was a big part.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up and it appeared they'd do it again against Michigan in the 4th quarter. Candidly, Michigan dominated the first half and most of the game, but Bama hung around and hung around and hung around some more until they took the lead and appeared to be heading for a victory. Some of this was due to Michigan mistakes (how many times can one team eff up fielding a punt in a game and still pull off a win against a good team?) but Bama did what Bama has done quite a bit under Saban...hung around long enough and made just enough plays in a close game to give themselves a chance to win at the end.

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
OK, but let’s play out that angle. You’ve taken the ball first in OT. It’s 3rd and 7, and you run an RPO with a QB that doesn’t handle anxiety well. You’ve not only put him in a do-or-die moment, but to make matters worse, it’s not even clear cut that he has to make a play, because the other team could fumble the snap on the first play of their possession. So this already rattled QB doesn’t know if taking a small loss or throwing it away is perfectly fine because a FG will win it, or if he’s ending the season with his decision. So even there, it still makes more sense to have full knowledge of what you need or don’t need.
As long as he doesn't turn the ball over, he's safe. The blame will either be on the kicker if he misses a FG, or on the defense if they give up a touchdown.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
OK, but let’s play out that angle. You’ve taken the ball first in OT. It’s 3rd and 7, and you run an RPO with a QB that doesn’t handle anxiety well. You’ve not only put him in a do-or-die moment, but to make matters worse, it’s not even clear cut that he has to make a play, because the other team could fumble the snap on the first play of their possession. So this already rattled QB doesn’t know if taking a small loss or throwing it away is perfectly fine because a FG will win it, or if he’s ending the season with his decision. So even there, it still makes more sense to have full knowledge of what you need or don’t need.
Don’t be silly. If you take the ball first all the pressure is off. You can do literally anything and no one cares.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Lastly, as disappointing as I know the loss was, I’m of the opinion that Bama maybe overachieved more than folks want to admit this season. Heck, their QB room was an absolute mess early on and I’ll tip my hat to Saban and staff for getting them as far as he did and what development they were able to do with Milroe, unfinished as he is, was a big part.
I would like to know more about why you think that. Of course they lost the Texas game by 10. The USF game was close but that was still early in the season and Milroe didn't even play in it. Arkansas was a 3 point win. They weren't very good this season either so is that/those games what you are referencing?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would like to know more about why you think that. Of course they lost the Texas game by 10. The USF game was close but that was still early in the season and Milroe didn't even play in it. Arkansas was a 3 point win. They weren't very good this season either so is that/those games what you are referencing?
I’m basing my opinion primarily on the QB play throughout the season with emphasis on the struggles at that position early on (no firm starter, loss to Tx, etc.). I think deciding to go with Milroe was the best choice, though he IMO is not a natural at the position but a gifted athlete. I think his performance against Auburn, which was not necessarily all-star level, painted a good picture. He was able to extend the final play and with the help of Freeze’s decision to essentially go no-pressure, he threw a strike to a guy who got open and kept alive their playoff chances. He was a player that made a play.

Milroe’s limitations, to me, start with his penchant to quickly react to pressure and use his speed and athleticism as a safety valve. The more polished QB knows that extending passing plays in order to allow covered receivers time to break off routes and settle into openings is a way to gain yardage and frustrate the opponent, but it also gives the QB a chance to minimize the number of shots absorbed during the game, which can certainly have a cumulative effect.

So, the majority of my thoughts regarding Bama and some overachieving are based on the QB position. I do think Milroe grew from the beginning of the season through the last game, but he certainly hasn’t topped out. How high can he go? Depends on him and maybe who is recruited at the position behind him. Who knows that with better competition at QB this year, he might have developed a little further? Beyond that, I’d have to say there’s work to be done with the OL, despite a beautiful performance against a salty UGA defensive front in the SECCG. Make no mistake, Bama’s OL was great that day, but they got punched in the mouth by Michigan and didn’t respond with the same resolve as they did against the Dawgs. The best find a way to compete at a consistently high level. Maybe they were able to overachieve in that circumstance? Bama wasn’t able to pull that part off against UM for a place in the title game so there’s work to be done there.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I’m basing my opinion primarily on the QB play throughout the season with emphasis on the struggles at that position early on (no firm starter, loss to Tx, etc.). I think deciding to go with Milroe was the best choice, though he IMO is not a natural at the position but a gifted athlete. I think his performance against Auburn, which was not necessarily all-star level, painted a good picture. He was able to extend the final play and with the help of Freeze’s decision to essentially go no-pressure, he threw a strike to a guy who got open and kept alive their playoff chances. He was a player that made a play.

Milroe’s limitations, to me, start with his penchant to quickly react to pressure and use his speed and athleticism as a safety valve. The more polished QB knows that extending passing plays in order to allow covered receivers time to break off routes and settle into openings is a way to gain yardage and frustrate the opponent, but it also gives the QB a chance to minimize the number of shots absorbed during the game, which can certainly have a cumulative effect.

So, the majority of my thoughts regarding Bama and some overachieving are based on the QB position. I do think Milroe grew from the beginning of the season through the last game, but he certainly hasn’t topped out. How high can he go? Depends on him and maybe who is recruited at the position behind him. Who knows that with better competition at QB this year, he might have developed a little further? Beyond that, I’d have to say there’s work to be done with the OL, despite a beautiful performance against a salty UGA defensive front in the SECCG. Make no mistake, Bama’s OL was great that day, but they got punched in the mouth by Michigan and didn’t respond with the same resolve as they did against the Dawgs. The best find a way to compete at a consistently high level. Maybe they were able to overachieve in that circumstance? Bama wasn’t able to pull that part off against UM for a place in the title game so there’s work to be done there.
Interesting... I can see how the team may have over achieved a little bit. Milroe though did great IMO. He was well known as a quality deep passer. It was his short and intermediate throws that he needed to work on. I heard an interview with him where he admitted that he is a natural runner and that he needed to work on those short/middle throws. I think he did well doing that too after the Texas game.

Our OC from 2021, Bill O'Brien tried to get Milroe to switch positions and even suggested he switch to a variety of positions. He has done well at QB from my perspective and he is set to return to Bama next season where he should be a front-runner for the Heisman starting the year.

But I think that the team's under achievements were originated in our O-line. As you said, they played very well in the SECCG but not so well in the CFP game. My next door co-worker said that a friend of his re-watched the MeatChicken game and there were something like 66 offensive plays for Bama. Literally half of those included a bad snap. Our center has entered the transfer portal I'm told.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting... I can see how the team may have over achieved a little bit. Milroe though did great IMO. He was well known as a quality deep passer. It was his short and intermediate throws that he needed to work on. I heard an interview with him where he admitted that he is a natural runner and that he needed to work on those short/middle throws. I think he did well doing that too after the Texas game.

Our OC from 2021, Bill O'Brien tried to get Milroe to switch positions and even suggested he switch to a variety of positions. He has done well at QB from my perspective and he is set to return to Bama next season where he should be a front-runner for the Heisman starting the year.

But I think that the team's under achievements were originated in our O-line. As you said, they played very well in the SECCG but not so well in the CFP game. My next door co-worker said that a friend of his re-watched the MeatChicken game and there were something like 66 offensive plays for Bama. Literally half of those included a bad snap. Our center has entered the transfer portal I'm told.
Certainly agree about Milroe as a passer. But I think he has the potential to improve that part of his game as well as getting to the point where the plays and action slows down for him and he doesn’t have to rely so much on that initial instinct to takeoff.

Not surprised about the Bama Center. I can only imagine the hell he caught during and after the game. Of course the question should be asked who left him in and how was the issue addressed in-game? Not like that last play was the only bad snap. One thing about Saban, he doesn’t mind putting a coach in the road if he’s not satisfied with his production, regardless of what he might have done previously.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
You can add the game against the Barn to that list. They were very fortunate to pull that one out. You can put me in the camp of folks who think they overachieved this year. (Which I think is a real tribute to the coaching job Saban did.)

Looking at their roster this year, they did not seem to have nearly the talent (or depth) they have had in recent years - particularly at WR - and, given that their recruiting classes have all been as highly ranked as we have come to expect under Saban, I wonder if their ability to evaluate has dropped off a bit. That staff constantly gets raided by other schools and perhaps the replacements have not been quite as talented? What I do know is the Bama of recent years past would never have had a close game against USF or lost at home to Texas and would have beaten Meatchicken (and absolutely not been pushed around at the line of scrimmage like that). I'm certainly not predicting the end of their phenomenal run anytime soon, but Saban has some things to fix- and may have already looking at their current incoming class.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
You can add the game against the Barn to that list. They were very fortunate to pull that one out. You can put me in the camp of folks who think they overachieved this year. (Which I think is a real tribute to the coaching job Saban did.)

Looking at their roster this year, they did not seem to have nearly the talent (or depth) they have had in recent years - particularly at WR - and, given that their recruiting classes have all been as highly ranked as we have come to expect under Saban, I wonder if their ability to evaluate has dropped off a bit. That staff constantly gets raided by other schools and perhaps the replacements have not been quite as talented? What I do know is the Bama of recent years past would never have had a close game against USF or lost at home to Texas and would have beaten Meatchicken (and absolutely not been pushed around at the line of scrimmage like that). I'm certainly not predicting the end of their phenomenal run anytime soon, but Saban has some things to fix- and may have already looking at their current incoming class.
I actually thought about including the barn in my earlier statement. The only reason that I didn't was because I chalked that one off as a heated rivalry game which can literally go either way regardless of either team's record. But you may be correct about that one...

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I'm certainly not predicting the end of their phenomenal run anytime soon, but Saban has some things to fix- and may have already looking at their current incoming class.
When Bama's class was 20th with six weeks to go, I thought they might not make it into the top 5 this cycle. Then they had a string of 3 star commits, and I thought that sealed it. But no, they did it, once again. A pretty good class on balance.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
When Bama's class was 20th with six weeks to go, I thought they might not make it into the top 5 this cycle. Then they had a string of 3 star commits, and I thought that sealed it. But no, they did it, once again. A pretty good class on balance.
Normally, I do not closely follow college recruiting. After reading your post I did go looking and as of today, Bama is #2 behind UGA in recruiting.

Interestingly too, the entire SEC (including Texas and Oklahoma) are ranked #40 and higher per 24/7.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Normally, I do not closely follow college recruiting. After reading your post I did go looking and as of today, Bama is #2 behind UGA in recruiting.

Interestingly too, the entire SEC (including Texas and Oklahoma) are ranked #40 and higher per 24/7.
I just noticed that string of 3 stars leading up to NSD is "gone". I don't know if a few commits got four-starred or if they processed some guys out after taking their commits. Interesting.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
CFP Championship game.JPG

My family supports this message...

Alabama Family pic.JPG

For the record, if you look closely, that's ME in the back. No, not that back. The back of the camera taking the pic... :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator