#4 Alabama vs. #1 Michigan

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Guess it's time to officially welcome Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC.

With that said, Welcome and go FV<# yourselves.

BeachGator

Mar 10, 2018
Still trying to figure out who the stupid ass was that chose to start the overtime on defense. Why in the fcuk would you put your team in the spot to have to respond to what the other team did on their first possession? At the very least, make the other match or exceed what you did on the first possession. SMFH

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Still trying to figure out who the stupid ass was that chose to start the overtime on defense. Why in the fcuk would you put your team in the spot to have to respond to what the other team did on their first possession? At the very least, make the other match or exceed what you did on the first possession. SMFH
In case this is a serious question and not some sun induced delirium, I've never seen anyone not start OT on defense when given the choice. It informs your 4th down strategy.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure somewhere they have had a team start on Offense, but I have NEVER seen a team do that. It has always been to start on Defense, that way you know what the strategy is and how much you have to score. Have seen several where they've held the opponent or turnover and kicked the field goal shortly thereafter to end it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The committee obviously should've put Georgia in over Alabama. They were always the significantly better team of the two. I'm not even sure Michigan belonged in there really, the 2 play offense they ran all night looked like trash. This is the #1 seed?

Even Urban Meyer cringed looking at the demise of Saban tonight, wondering to himself, "how the phuck can you lose to Jim Harbaugh?"

Well Urban Meyer had a hand in that playoff outcome. It was our 2006 team that set the standard of a 1-loss SEC Champion making the playoff, or BCS. If we’d lost in Glendale, all that changes. We didn’t and the entire narrative if college football changed. I can agree though that this year the “best” team probably won’t be the one winning it all. But uga losing when they did, and by extension failing to take their conference, is part of the deal. No different than UF in 2001 or even 2009. They had their chance to take a spot and blew it. Best team or not, they got nothing.

BeachGator

Mar 10, 2018
I'm sure somewhere they have had a team start on Offense, but I have NEVER seen a team do that. It has always been to start on Defense, that way you know what the strategy is and how much you have to score. Have seen several where they've held the opponent or turnover and kicked the field goal shortly thereafter to end it.
Yeah right. Ask Saban about the decision to start on defense. Why in the hell would you choose to react to a situation rather than create a situation? It’s imperative to set the narrative rather than having to react to a narrative. The best defense is a good offense. CONTROL CONTROL, not react.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah right. Ask Saban about the decision to start on defense. Why in the hell would you choose to react to a situation rather than create a situation? It’s imperative to set the narrative rather than having to react to a narrative. The best defense is a good offense. CONTROL CONTROL, not react.

So you'd rather go blindly for a touchdown when only a FG was necessary to win?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The committee could have denied Bama though because they never looked like a top 4 team at any point this season. Beating a banged up UGly team riding a million game winning streak couldn't erase the fact that Alabama was really a 7 or 8 win caliber, quarterbackless team, insanely lucky to have only one loss.

I was actually expecting Michigan to drop them by 20+ points tonight, but they played scared and ultra conservative and nearly lost because of it.

Have to agree re Bama. This was its weakest playoff team by a large margin. Georgia picked the wrong time to lose.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In the history of overtime, I don't think anybody has ever taken the ball first. The grownups are talking, please scamper back to the kid's table.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll never agree with your thinking, but it’s your right to believe you are right.

You seriously wouldn't make that statement if you understood the rules. This isn't some grey area of debate. It's simply not debatable.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't taken my meds yet.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I guess you also had an issue that they deferred to the second half when they won the opening coin flip? Because you have to be reactionary to the first drive of the opponent.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
In the history of overtime, I don't think anybody has ever taken the ball first. The grownups are talking, please scamper back to the kid's table.
Deion did it this year vs. CSU in the first OT and it stunned everyone... said they had never seen a team do that before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator