Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hell yeah, if we are talking about all us non-professional athletes... I'm in the best shape of my life right now. I obviously know you know all this. I think mid-30s is a make or break point for most men. Family is is young, bills are big, working long hours. You wake up one day and wonder what the hell happened to your body. 95% of men throw in the towel at that point... like all the fat ass cry babies in this thread. But for runners and triathletes... all the guys who are absolutely destroying it are in the late 40s. I just blew the doors off a race this weekend and set 4 new personal bests. So to all you coach potatoes... quit your whining and do something about it.

Nice Brad!

On that note, I'm 46 and I can definitely tell....I still run 2000+ miles per year and lift 3-5 times a week. I had been racing for years and ran my "personal best" in the marathon at the age of 40 (a 2:58, which is a 6:48/mile....for 26+ miles). I can still run a 10 mile race under a 6:30 pace (and I'm 6 years older....and about 8-10 pounds heavier than my peak racing years).

People who think 40 is "old" for an athlete have, pretty much, given up on life. You might as well find a whole to die in, like an old dog!! :D

If you had asked me if I thought Vince Carter could still do a between-the-legs dunk like that, I would have said no. Huge difference between 40 and 21.

Absolutely agree....but there's also a huge difference between a 21 year old and 29 year old. Look at an NFL 7 year veteran OL vs a college 21 year old OL. They might both be 6'5 315 but the 29 year old is physically more mature and the 21 year old cannot physically compete w/ him.

The point is, VC can likely still play BB at a high level...even though he's over 40......he's not some freak of nature because he can still dunk like that. It's impressive "for his age", but he's a former HOF level player.

The biggest difference I've noticed (in aging) is the recovery time. I can't beat myself up and expect to do it again the next day like I used to. I usually do two easy days to every hard/harder day....and I stretch more. That's about it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hell yeah, if we are talking about all us non-professional athletes... I'm in the best shape of my life right now. I obviously know you know all this. I think mid-30s is a make or break point for most men. Family is is young, bills are big, working long hours. You wake up one day and wonder what the hell happened to your body. 95% of men throw in the towel at that point... like all the fat ass cry babies in this thread. But for runners and triathletes... all the guys who are absolutely destroying it are in the late 40s. I just blew the doors off a race this weekend and set 4 new personal bests. So to all you coach potatoes... quit your whining and do something about it.
I think there's a big difference between being "in shape" and keeping the same leaping ability. I'm sure Carter is in great shape, but there's no way he can jump as high as he could 15 years ago.

I saw a video of Julius Erving dunking a basketball last year, and he's in his 60's. However, he barely got that ball over the rim. :lol: And we're talking one of the greatest leapers who ever lived.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think there's a big difference between being "in shape" and keeping the same leaping ability. I'm sure Carter is in great shape, but there's no way he can jump as high as he could 15 years ago.

I saw a video of Julius Erving dunking a basketball last year, and he's in his 60's. However, he barely got that ball over the rim. :lol: And we're talking one of the greatest leapers who ever lived.

Some of these guys really take care of themselves. Although I think the dude is one of the best dunkers of all time, I just dont find it all that amazing that he can still do it at 40. Maybe it's because I just hit 40 and am beating the socks off of "kids" half my age.

But probably the majority of pro athletes were not that smart and are lucky they can even walk at 40 with the abuse they put their bodies through.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Some of these guys really take care of themselves. Although I think the dude is one of the best dunkers of all time, I just dont find it all that amazing that he can still do it at 40. Maybe it's because I just hit 40 and am beating the socks off of "kids" half my age.

But probably the majority of pro athletes were not that smart and are lucky they can even walk at 40 with the abuse they put their bodies through.
Dunking at 40 isn't that big of a deal. Still having the hops and hang time to do it between the legs is damn impressive. Most NBA players can't even do that in their 20's.

Jun 2, 2015
The year Vince went into the pros there was a strike and he was in town. My grandson (age 7 at the time) and I were at a local restaurant and were exiting when Vince & 2 of his high school friends were entering. One of Vince's friends pointed to Vince and asked my grandson if he knew who he was and my grandson responded, "no". The friend said, "he is a pro basketball player, etc." and my grandson responded, "I only like football"!! His 2 friends really got a laugh out of that. Vince donated 1M for a new gym @ Mainland HS and holds a basketball summer event for youth every year. He also established a rehab facility as a close family member was a drug addict. He does a lot of charity work in the area and is still revered in the Daytona Beach area.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Reliable sources tell me that Brad and BMF visit those "hormone clinics" to get juiced.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wish I had access to some off label products.

Who I am kidding.... I'd be too big of a pussy to even try a supplement.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wish I had access to some off label products.

Who I am kidding.... I'd be too big of a pussy to even try a supplement.

My bro is a supplement guy, after his first tour in Iraq he was having heart problems and was rushed to the hospital. The supplements/plus the weight training put too much strain on his heart and he had a minor heart attack at 24. The doctors said everything was fine except his heart was overworked, they said it was the supplements that pushed his muscles and by extension heart too hard.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My bro is a supplement guy, after his first tour in Iraq he was having heart problems and was rushed to the hospital. The supplements/plus the weight training put too much strain on his heart and he had a minor heart attack at 24. The doctors said everything was fine except his heart was overworked, they said it was the supplements that pushed his muscles and by extension heart too hard.

Yeah, exactly. We all want quick fixes in life, but I would be too freaked out over possible long term damage. What good is feeling like a 20 year old today, if I am causing more problems in a few years. Like BMF mentioned, recovery takes forever now. We have to train smarter. I think that is why the late 40 year olds are the best runners and triathletes.... because we have to be uber disciplined about every facet of training. If not, we are injured. I wish I knew all these things in high school. Of course.... I could say that about many things in life.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The year Vince went into the pros there was a strike and he was in town. My grandson (age 7 at the time) and I were at a local restaurant and were exiting when Vince & 2 of his high school friends were entering. One of Vince's friends pointed to Vince and asked my grandson if he knew who he was and my grandson responded, "no". The friend said, "he is a pro basketball player, etc." and my grandson responded, "I only like football"!! His 2 friends really got a laugh out of that. Vince donated 1M for a new gym @ Mainland HS and holds a basketball summer event for youth every year. He also established a rehab facility as a close family member was a drug addict. He does a lot of charity work in the area and is still revered in the Daytona Beach area.

Best athlete to come out of Daytona Beach--Vince Carter or Tiger Mayberry?

Alex.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Few weeks back, I took my brother to a Nuggets game for his birthday. They were playing the Grizzlies and Vince, of course, suited up for the Grizzlies. He didn't have the best game but it was pretty cool hearing all the dads who were there with their kids explain to them who Vince Carter was and how he never quite lived up to the Jordan/UNC comparisons.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I graduated from Mainland 10 years before Carter. I went home for the holidays and heard about this kid who was supposed to be good, so went to watch his first game of Sr. year.

As you can imagine, Carter dominated, but 3 things stick in my mind over 20 years later.

1. He blocked a shot that was clearly goaltending, but the ref like all of us had his jaw dropped and he couldn't blow the whistle. Carter pinned the ball on the glass...about 6" above the square. I didn't know it was physically possible to jump that high. He also completely hurdled a guy trying to take the charge.

2. I sat next to and talked with his mother the whole game. He came from a solid family (his father was a band director for another high school) and his mother was great and very charming. I was recruiting her hard and she said that it was UF and UNC and that Vince was truly conflicted. I think his heart was Gator but his head was UNC. I did my best, but failed you Gator Nation.

3. In that game, Mainland won by 20 something, and it wasn't until the next day that I learned that the opponent was ranked 8th in the state, and that (due to high school participation rules) the other 4 starters for Mainland were still playing football- so Carter and 4 scrubs kicked the crap out of the #8 team in the state.

Hell of a talent and was a really good kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.