A Good QB Isn't Hard to Find

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Our QB difficulties are inexcusable. Good quarterbacks are everywhere, they just need to be recognized and coached. Watching Marshall and their freshman qb from Tampa. Doing fine. My other school found an under recruited qb that ranks top ten in passing. Before that the school used a walk-in who is now in the NFL with a million dollar contract. The qb from Memphis that UF refused....There is no excuse for UF not having a full stable of capable qbs backing up a brilliant starter

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The Chump disagrees with you. Real football is all about the running game.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We have gotten highly ranked QBs, they have all just sucked.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Blame this on Charlie Weis, Brent Pease, Kurt Roper, and thus Will Muschamp. His failures as a head coach are well documented at this point.

:deadhorse:

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, "leadership" has spent half a decade trying to use "highly rated" square pegs into round holes. Further,"development" has been abysmal. Here's to the current staff changing that pitiful outcome.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't ask for high ranked, just "recognized". For all I know Trask might prove " competent".
I agree with you, Ancient. There are plenty of HS QBs with a good upside available most years. Seems to me that athleticism and throwing ability (arm strength, touch, etc.) are the easiest of the measurables to rate or determine on these kids. What is hardest to factor is their aptitude for learning, mentally organizing and correctly retrieving play calls and integrating them into the defensive reads. Part of that includes quickly and correctly reading route progressions. Kills and audibles are another facet. Not all of this is dependent strictly on the players' acumen, but the precision and thoroughness of the coaching they have received combined with the level of competition.

College coaches can shove all this info into a computer and along with their scouting get a "best guess." Until the kids get to college and begin excelling, there will remain a mysterious element to the process. If what the experts tell us was always a lead pipe cinch, the members of the Elite Eleven each year would all be pros in three years and as many as three out of their group in that time could be CFB Champion QB's. Also, guys like Bobby Sablehaus would be household names and the Kerwin Bells would be relegated to Div. III, if they ever even received a chance. And finally, the Merrill Hoges would have their own networks and consulting services while dressing in the garb of a middle eastern cleric (an upgrade, btw, to the ridiculous jumbo knotted ties).

What may be more important in the development of the freshman QB, as alluded to earlier, is the college position coach and OC. Give a competent or better guy a player that has the "want to" along with a workable skill set and you'll get a positive outcome (barring injury) more often than not. Might have been much of our problem during the last regime, no? Also, many may knock Nuss for Treon' play the last half, but you've got to give him some credit for Grier (on the field, of course). I think the guy's legit among his peers.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I feel the same way. Seems lots of schools just plug in little known kids and keep in plugging away. We don't need a dynamite one (although that would be great), just a serviceable guy with some leadership attributes and a little maturity. I'm sick and tired of seeing directional schools with QB play that runs circles around ours. It's unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You can make Ken Dorsey look like a Heisman candidate with a great OL.

This all starts and ends with Meyer signing 2 OL in one class, then Chimp doing it twice more.

Grier is the most talented Qb weve seen for a while, and is no doubt as good as anyone in CFB, yet he scored 14 points vs Kintucky and 21 vs Mizzu.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I

This all starts and ends with Meyer signing 2 OL in one class, then Chimp doing it twice more.

Grier is the most talented Qb weve seen for a while, and is no doubt as good as anyone in CFB, yet he scored 14 points vs Kintucky and 21 vs Mizzu.
I would add that some character issues have surfaced, so decision making may continue to haunt him on and off the field

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Cover, you always talk sense to my frustrations. Also, since I've never done the job and BC evaluating HS qbs attitudes is undoubtedly more difficult than I imagine. Still, I guess I am only partially convinced. Our long drought just seems incredible to me. My other school (cusa) not only sent its last qb to the pros, will send this year's qb to the pros, but attracted a talented TCU transfer who is much, much better than any of ours save only Grier. How about this: every other year we recruit a star qb. In off years we recruit a Trask who is glad to be at UF and will stay?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

You had me, law, right up until you said Grier was as good as anybody in college football. We shall see.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree, and believe JMac is going to fix it. Not like the last guy's "we'll get it fixed", but really fix it. He's shown he can do it with a capable, but not amazing QB. Unfortunately, the only options he had this year after the Grier fiasco were less than capable.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Grier was an "in development-first season on field QB". IMO Grier, most likely would
have been an elite CFB QB. If UF goes after the same H.S. QBs that other top colleges
go after, then only coaches that are flops will fail developing those guys. We are finished
with that botch batch o' coaches now and GatorsNation is on its way to competing for
championships. So I am thankful for what's ahead even this very next season.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
We have suffered from coaching changes (Spurrier-Zook, Zook- Meyer, Meyer-Chump, Chump-Mac) and the associated changes in offensisive philosophies that have kept us from having a stable QB pipeline. I.e. Redshirt, backup, starter.
The coaching changes are a reason but not an excuse.
One of my complaints about Foley is that he has made these 180* changes in head coaches. Florida should have an offensive personality and the coaches should reflect that. Hire pass oriented head coaches. The Florida brand should be high scoring offenses where pro-style QBs and 5 star WR's beat the door down to play. Foley has damaged the brand through his hiring of DC's. Meyer won but with a fullback at QB and tiny skill guys.
Stick with a mission statement then you don't have to retool the company each time you get a new CEO.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
We have suffered from coaching changes (Spurrier-Zook, Zook- Meyer, Meyer-Chump, Chump-Mac) and the associated changes in offensisive philosophies that have kept us from having a stable QB pipeline. I.e. Redshirt, backup, starter.
The coaching changes are a reason but not an excuse.
One of my complaints about Foley is that he has made these 180* changes in head coaches. Florida should have an offensive personality and the coaches should reflect that. Hire pass oriented head coaches. The Florida brand should be high scoring offenses where pro-style QBs and 5 star WR's beat the door down to play. Foley has damaged the brand through his hiring of DC's. Meyer won but with a fullback at QB and tiny skill guys.
Stick with a mission statement then you don't have to retool the company each time you get a new CEO.
I

I agreed with you until the "fullback at QB" comment. Anyone who watched Tebow play and refers to him as "fullback", ignoring what he accomplished as a passer, deserves the same fate as Merril Hoge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator