A little Gators history

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
323159324_3385156535063103_6883086067789667314_n.png

Ghosts of the Orange Bowl

https://www.facebook.com/#
·
The late Ray Graves was born 104 years ago today. Pictured below: Graves is carried off the field after the Florida Gators defeated Georgia Tech 27-12 in the 1967 Orange Bowl. Graves was head coach at the University of Florida from 1960 to 1969. He led the Gators to their first New Year's Day bowl appearances, including the 1966 Sugar Bowl and 1967 Orange Bowl. His quarterback in both of those games was Steve Spurrier, who won the Heisman Trophy in 1966. Graves racked up a career record of 70-31-4, including a 4-1 record in bowl games.
But perhaps Graves' greatest contribution to the game was when he allowed Dr. Robert Cade, a professor in the University of Florida College of Medicine, to conduct dehydration analysis and rehydration experiments using team members which led to the formulation of Gatorade in 1965. After seeing remarkable results using Gatorade after an intrasquad scrimmage, Graves decided to make enough for the entire team for a game against LSU. The Gators would come from behind to win after LSU wilted in the 102 degree heat. Graves eventually told his close friend Hank Stram about Gatorade's effectiveness. It would eventually become the official drink of the NFL..

Graves was our first modern day great coach. First new years day bowls. Multilple all americans. Firsth Heisman player and won about 70% of his games. Good man.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Mlb Playoffs GIF by Gatorade

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Ghosts of the Orange Bowl

He led the Gators to their first New Year's Day bowl appearances, including the 1966 Sugar Bowl and 1967 Orange Bowl. His quarterback in both of those games was Steve Spurrier, who won the Heisman Trophy in 1966. Graves racked up a career record of 70-31-4, including a 4-1 record in bowl games.
But perhaps Graves' greatest contribution to the game was when he allowed Dr. Robert Cade, a professor in the University of Florida College of Medicine, to conduct dehydration analysis and rehydration experiments using team members which led to the formulation of Gatorade in 1965. After seeing remarkable results using Gatorade after an intrasquad scrimmage, Graves decided to make enough for the entire team for a game against LSU. The Gators would come from behind to win after LSU wilted in the 102 degree heat. Graves eventually told his close friend Hank Stram about Gatorade's effectiveness. It would eventually become the official drink of the NFL..
At least those experiments were not DNA altering and killing millions.

HBD anyway.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Why was Graves forced out after going 9-1-1 in 1969? Never made sense to me.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Met Coach Graves when I was a student. Fine gentleman and brought Florida into football significance.

I was visiting my Godmother up in Carrollwood north of Tampa in the late 90's.
She said that I needed to meet her neighbor, so we walked across the street.
She rang the doorbell and Ray Graves answered.
Hung out with him for about 30 minutes while he showed me his Gator memorabilia in the garage... great guy, very nice and full of good stories.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Why was Graves forced out after going 9-1-1 in 1969? Never made sense to me.
Actually he wasn't forced out. He had made the decision to retire the year before but the freshman team was a juggernaut. He stayed as head coach for the Super Frosh year and then retired as head coach.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Funny twist.

Ray Graves was from Knoxville and played for Tennessee and was later a position coach at Tennessee. He became the coach at Florida but it was because of his Tennessee connections that he recruited a kid from Tennessee named Steve Spurrier that put Florida on the map.

Doug Dickey was a former UF QB. He became a very successful head coach at Tennessee.

In '69, Graves coached the Super Sophs to a great record (but for Auburn putting in a rudimentary zone defense in an era where no college QB had ever seen a zone defense--John Reaves threw 9 ints--we would have won the SEC, maybe a natty).

Graves decided to step down as head coach and become the AD. Everybody thought the super-popular DC Gene Ellenson (of "the letter" fame) would be promoted. Instead, the powers-that-be decided to bring back the Gator QB hero from Tennessee to be the head coach.

By a twist of fate, Florida played Tennessee in a bowl game that year.

The decision to snub Ellenson and hire Dickey was made before the bowl game, but was a poorly kept secret. Vols players knew their coach was leaving them for the other team and Gator players knew the guy they wanted had been passed over.

Graves (and Ellenson) and the Gators beat Dickey's Vols (a rare occurrence back then) in the bowl game and then the official announcement was made that the losing coach was going to be the new head coach for the winning team.

I was reminded of this incident when Louisville played Cincinnati in a bowl game this year and Scott Satterfield had been hired from Louisville to Cincinnati while Jeff Brohm, former Louisville QB, was being brought back as head coach. Not exactly the same scenario, but close.

Dickey never lived up to the expectations at UF, although he did usher us through the difficult integration period.

Ray Graves was a fine gentleman. I was fortunate enough to meet him once.

Alex.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Jeez, I was not aware Carr was the one who coined that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator