Ack! We really ARE dangerously thin at WR!

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I mean, part of why I’d put Emory in the slot, give some speed and shiftiness we are missing

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Who can know exactly what talents a Mullenated athlete possesses.? Just have to "audition" them under "real-time" exertion contests.
Seems like EJ doesn't fit highly at any position, at any use.?? Mullen has put him in this position after 3 years' schooling. Mullen cursed so many of these young dreamers.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Only problem is EJ has no speed nor shiftiness.
Not physical either. Seems like a good kid but he's a QB, not a WR or DB. (not very good in Mullens system under Mullens tutelage). Maybe things will click under new management.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It blows my mind how many around here think EJ is just a slot receiver in waiting. FFS he isn't fast, quick, or shifty. Yeah ok, he moves well for a QB, but without realizing it you are comparing him to a lot kids who are statues.

Moves well for a qb doesn't mean you can be a TE, RB, or WR. He has no future at another position in big boy football. He should move down to a small school and try his lot at qb again. And from what I hear he may be doing that by staying in good standing and graduating this spring, then leaving. I wish him well and appreciate his hard work, but I dont want to see him on the field again for the gators, in any capacity whatsoever.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
It blows my mind how many around here think EJ is just a slot receiver in waiting. FFS he isn't fast, quick, or shifty. Yeah ok, he moves well for a QB, but without realizing it you are comparing him to a lot kids who are statues.

Moves well for a qb doesn't mean you can be a TE, RB, or WR. He has no future at another position in big boy football. He should move down to a small school and try his lot at qb again. And from what I hear he may be doing that by staying in good standing and graduating this spring, then leaving. I wish him well and appreciate his hard work, but I dont want to see him on the field again for the gators, in any capacity whatsoever.
But, he's black! :dunno:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

He gets hit once going over the middle and he would have T-Rex arms for the rest of his life. I can't see him fighting for a pass either.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I fully agree with the first part. Maybe the second most disappointing thing of this last season was how often he was sacked and how rarely he extended the play, other than to run for a few yards. He's not going to magically develop good hands and route running ability because he's not good as a QB. To the second part though, I'm just not sure how far down he'd need to go where his skillset would actually work at QB. He wasn't simply ineffective against the better defenses. He was pedestrian against FAU, awful against Usf, and almost single-handedly kept a 5-7 fsu team in the game. It doesn't get much lower than that.

I was playing football with my kids at the park yesterday, and even with 9-12 year old's I couldn't just stare down my intended target or wait until they were completely wide open to throw. The kid covering would eventually catch up. I don't care if it's Div2, defenders will eat him alive. Outside of a wildcat wrinkle, I don't see him as a QB at all.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
The last Gator who was a hs QB that converted to a slot WR and became an elite player was Toney. And it took all 4 years for him to "put it all together." But the shiftiness and change of direction with him was *always* obvious, back from the moment he took QB snaps in his first O&B game.

Contrast that with EJ and you'll see just how impossibly high a hurdle it would be for him to make the switch now. He lack's Toney's speed and shiftiness and is several years behind in terms of practicing & reps as a wide-out.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I fully agree with the first part. Maybe the second most disappointing thing of this last season was how often he was sacked and how rarely he extended the play, other than to run for a few yards. He's not going to magically develop good hands and route running ability because he's not good as a QB. To the second part though, I'm just not sure how far down he'd need to go where his skillset would actually work at QB. He wasn't simply ineffective against the better defenses. He was pedestrian against FAU, awful against Usf, and almost single-handedly kept a 5-7 fsu team in the game. It doesn't get much lower than that.

I was playing football with my kids at the park yesterday, and even with 9-12 year old's I couldn't just stare down my intended target or wait until they were completely wide open to throw. The kid covering would eventually catch up. I don't care if it's Div2, defenders will eat him alive. Outside of a wildcat wrinkle, I don't see him as a QB at all.
well i was trying to be nice. way to kick a kid while he's down sofla. you jerk :lol2:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Because CBN has been recruiting several pre madonnas to fit his famous Smoking Mirrors Offense. It’s supposed to be more dazzling than the Fun n Gun.

You’re only saying that because you are buyest.

Just thought I would sneak that classic one in the discussion as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator