Ack! We really ARE dangerously thin at WR!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not physical either. Seems like a good kid but he's a QB, not a WR or DB. (not very good in Mullens system under Mullens tutelage). Maybe things will click under new management.

That plus a miraculous infusion of not-present "QB-visual-brain" changes with arm-whip speed. We're talking about an unnatural QB that's had zero QB growth since his 12th birthday -- no way can he catch up and transform into a real QB no matter where he tries to play. It;s all sad because EJ's predicament may be that he's too absorbent a student and he's had "dancing Dan" as a teacher his hole career.?

The last Gator who was a hs QB that converted to a slot WR and became an elite player was Toney.

Folks overlook that as a hs recruit, Toney had the highest QB completion % of any Gator recruit ever signed.?? Still, I've never seen any athlete more "body-shifty" than Toney. At UF, Toney would have outperformed EJ as QB = Similar to Lamar Jackson. I wish Toney the best; I'm worn out wishing for EJ.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I fully agree with the first part. Maybe the second most disappointing thing of this last season was how often he was sacked and how rarely he extended the play, other than to run for a few yards. He's not going to magically develop good hands and route running ability because he's not good as a QB. To the second part though, I'm just not sure how far down he'd need to go where his skillset would actually work at QB. He wasn't simply ineffective against the better defenses. He was pedestrian against FAU, awful against Usf, and almost single-handedly kept a 5-7 fsu team in the game. It doesn't get much lower than that.

I was playing football with my kids at the park yesterday, and even with 9-12 year old's I couldn't just stare down my intended target or wait until they were completely wide open to throw. The kid covering would eventually catch up. I don't care if it's Div2, defenders will eat him alive. Outside of a wildcat wrinkle, I don't see him as a QB at all.

Odd….I was at the park yesterday with some kids too. I threw for 483 yards. Totally lit them up.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Odd….I was at the park yesterday with some kids too. I threw for 483 yards. Totally lit them up.

92ea5092-3f5d-4ba1-ba57-aa693eb6d005_text.gif

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Yeah, but how many Pick-6s and Sacks? Don’t lie.

Well I installed Mullens offense in the 2nd half. 1st pass was a quick WR screen to the outside and a 10 year old jumped it and took it to the house. I nearly caught him from behind but both knees buckled and I went down.

I settled down in the 2nd half but the decision to limit carries to my 12 year old bruiser to “pace him” proved to be my downfall. I mostly kept the ball on the options and although I was a willing runner I was not an effective one.

That pick 6 ended up being the difference in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.