America's Cup Sailing

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was a quarter mile Dragboat . 190.27 mph. The class was Blown Alcohol Hydro
Whoa. That class takes some pelotas grandes. You don’t get too many second chances if you make a mistake at that speed.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Whoa. That class takes some pelotas grandes. You don’t get too many second chances if you make a mistake at that speed.
Yeah, he also was a pilot and did air shows.

I sent your message about your neighbor to him and he said it would take miles for him to turn his boat 360. Obviously his was just a drag racing one. Go straight.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, he also was a pilot and did air shows.

I sent your message about your neighbor to him and he said it would take miles for him to turn his boat 360. Obviously his was just a drag racing one. Go straight.
Both styles require great skill. Formula One racers are strapped in and actively racing for multiple laps.

I guess it’s like trying to compare dragsters vs Indy car. Both are insanely fast, require great skill, big balls and a good measure of luck to live long enough to be able to brag about it.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I get it, and tend to agree, but can see how people also view it as the natural evolution of the sport.

Some of my friends who are much more immersed in sailing than I equated the change to this style of racing to how football evolved from 3 yards and a cloud of dust to the forward pass.

Personally, anything that only has such a minuscule percentage of its hull being wetted surface isn’t what was originally envisioned. Do these crews even have to factor in current? Its nuts. Fun to watch, but nuts.
I get it too, doesn't mean I have to like it. I still remember Auckland with the America's Cup contenders all over the place after NZ had won. Seems like there were maybe five boats on display. I don't remember how they got there but they were there. I spent the whole night just ogling those boats. With the new technology maybe after they get some more speed and turn every sail to a wing, they can pop some wings on the side of those things and fly completely out of the water. It'll then who can be out of the water for the longest amount of time. They'll be able to race as long as they are FAA certified.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
The American Magic is a 75 foot fukkin sailboat that rides OUT of the water at up to twice the speed of the wind pushing it on two hydrofoils that look like spindly t-rex arms. This past summer, it hit 60 mph... A 75 FOOT FUKKIN SAILBOAT AT 60 MPH! That's nuts.
How is it possible to go 2x the speed of the wind? Seriously, what are the physics that allows an inanimate object to have twice the velocity as the object that propels it?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Bullsht!! Tis sorcery most foul at work. They have trapped a djinn in their sails and are forcing him to power their vessel at ever increasing speeds.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
How is it possible to go 2x the speed of the wind? Seriously, what are the physics that allows an inanimate object to have twice the velocity as the object that propels it?
Short answer. The sail in an air foil generating lift (a force vector). The boat is not simply being pushed in the wind current. That's why a boat can tack at angles to the wind and outrun a boat with full sail running directly with the current.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Short answer. The sail in an air foil generating lift (a force vector). The boat is not simply being pushed in the wind current. That's why a boat can tack at angles to the wind and outrun a boat with full sail running directly with the current.
Wait, this is coming from a pilot. Don’t planes usually go into the wind? How does a boat get 2x speed with wind speed?

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NV think wing then lift. Like B52 said it's a vector thing.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
From the wind.
john turturro pete hogwallop GIF

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Think how little wetted surface is generating drag with only the foils in the water vs regular hulls.

Here ya’ go boys. Your answers:

Last edited:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Wait, this is coming from a pilot. Don’t planes usually go into the wind? How does a boat get 2x speed with wind speed?
I should have known using highly technical and complex language (vector) in a post would not convey meaning to those not blessed with an elite engineering degree. Mea Culpa.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
Reaction thrust versus impulse thrust. Only able to achieve those speeds if the wind is coming in from the side.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can understand it better if I think of water skiing. The ski rope is compared as the wind and you can never go faster than the rope pulls you if you stay right behind the boat. If you start going at an angle to the boat then you can actually go faster than the boat until you start to pull even with the boat. Then you lose your forward momentum (wind) unless you cut back in the other direction {tack). If you still had the same force (boat speed) you could pull ahead of the boat but the angle of your ski rope cuts down on your forward speed.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I can understand it better if I think of water skiing. The ski rope is compared as the wind and you can never go faster than the rope pulls you if you stay right behind the boat. If you start going at an angle to the boat then you can actually go faster than the boat until you start to pull even with the boat. Then you lose your forward momentum (wind) unless you cut back in the other direction {tack). If you still had the same force (boat speed) you could pull ahead of the boat but the angle of your ski rope cuts down on your forward speed.
Nice analogy.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Reaction thrust versus impulse thrust. Only able to achieve those speeds if the wind is coming in from the side.
Is my understanding right?

Newton’s third law: for every action there’s a reaction.

So, by getting the wind from the side, the boat can capture the energy from the wind, and the energy from the sea resisting the wind: “action and reaction”

But, if you are sailing with a tail wind, you only harness the energy of the tail wind, and remove the energy of the resistance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator