America's Cup Sailing

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Did you see that one of the dudes that is a co-owner in the current company that is a deadbeat tenant in the Port was just indicted.... for a $230M AIDS meds fraud ring? You can't make this schit up how mismanaged the City is.
I grew up there. My dad grew up there. The place has always been managed for the rich. See the Pace family. The Sheriff used to have oyster shells delivered to people so they would vote for him (driveway pavement for those of you who aren't from the coast). In county dump trucks and spread using county equipment. Last time I was home, I saw a new spit of land dredged up out of the bay with several very expensive homes on it. My sister says they don't pay property tax since the land doesn't really exist. But the beaches and the weather and the seafood. I guess it still doesn't balance out.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I grew up there. My dad grew up there. The place has always been managed for the rich. See the Pace family. The Sheriff used to have oyster shells delivered to people so they would vote for him (driveway pavement for those of you who aren't from the coast). In county dump trucks and spread using county equipment. Last time I was home, I saw a new spit of land dredged up out of the bay with several very expensive homes on it. My sister says they don't pay property tax since the land doesn't really exist. But the beaches and the weather and the seafood. I guess it still doesn't balance out.
You are talking about these houses.... it was all the work of Fred Levin. Go Gators! :lol:

It"s Good to be the King!

Oh, and there are property taxes on them, plenty actually.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
You are talking about these houses.... it was all the work of Fred Levin. Go Gators! :lol:

It"s Good to be the King!

Oh, and there are property taxes on them, plenty actually.
I figured there was. My sister is one of the people who think rich people are all evil. Starving artist kind of person. She doesn't realize that mom and dad made her a 10%er. Rails against the evils of capitalism and everything. Masters in Art from USF.
Oh, and when did Gulf Power become Florida Power and Light?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I figured there was. My sister is one of the people who think rich people are all evil. Starving artist kind of person. She doesn't realize that mom and dad made her a 10%er. Rails against the evils of capitalism and everything. Masters in Art from USF.
Oh, and when did Gulf Power become Florida Power and Light?
Got bought this year... not happy.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Got bought this year... not happy.
There’s a really good guy who’s just been named VP for Pensacola FPL that used to be with Gulf Power. He’s spent the last several years as President of Memphis Light Gas and Water and is now returning back home to Pensacola. He’s a Gator as well.

Let’s hope he can help, even though the real decisions are made down in Juno Beach.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
It has some really nice features, but it's a wee bit outside of my price range.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is an amazing video that shows the technology advancements incorporated into these monohulls.

Note: at the 1:36 point you can see the new, under construction, Pensacola Bay Bridge in the background while the US team is practicing in the Bay.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is an amazing video that shows the technology advancements incorporated into these monohulls.

Note: at the 1:36 point you can see the new, under construction, Pensacola Bay Bridge in the background while the US team is practicing in the Bay.

#1 This is amazing.
#2 I know a guy w/ the world record of speed boating and he thinks thins is amazing.
#3 No specifics in the race? Rutter or Hull?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

1:50 ain't no Florida Might be out west?

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tahoe? Pyramid??

Friend has a world record speed boat. World record.
I would be more inclined to guess New Zealand or such.

What class does your friend hold a record?

My neighbor across the street used to race Formula One class, and kick ass back in the 70’s & 80’s. He and hull designer-then-driver Earl Bentz were teammates. Earl designs Caymas boats now.

1666497906905.jpeg

Last edited:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sorry these are not sailboats. I was really into the cup before the screwed it up. It's more about who's got the tech than who can sail. Maybe it's just me and I, as an engineer appreciate tech, but just not in this race. I remember in 1995 when I was in Auckland and the Kiwis had just won. There were quite a few boats out of the water and on display. I don't remember if that's the last time they ran a "real" race, but those were beautiful boats. Dad loved to sail. Thank goodness he passed on before they went nuts. He would have throw up.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I'm sorry these are not sailboats. I was really into the cup before the screwed it up. It's more about who's got the tech than who can sail. Maybe it's just me and I, as an engineer appreciate tech, but just not in this race. I remember in 1995 when I was in Auckland and the Kiwis had just won. There were quite a few boats out of the water and on display. I don't remember if that's the last time they ran a "real" race, but those were beautiful boats. Dad loved to sail. Thank goodness he passed on before they went nuts. He would have throw up.
Baby Boomers Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I get it, and tend to agree, but can see how people also view it as the natural evolution of the sport.

Some of my friends who are much more immersed in sailing than I equated the change to this style of racing to how football evolved from 3 yards and a cloud of dust to the forward pass.

Personally, anything that only has such a minuscule percentage of its hull being wetted surface isn’t what was originally envisioned. Do these crews even have to factor in current? Its nuts. Fun to watch, but nuts.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would be more inclined to guess New Zealand or such.

What class does your friend hold a record?

My neighbor across the street used to race Formula One class, and kick ass back in the 70’s & 80’s. He and hull designer-then-driver Earl Bentz were teammates. Earl designs Caymas boats now.

View attachment 50105
It was a quarter mile Dragboat . 190.27 mph. The class was Blown Alcohol Hydro

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.