Andrew Spivey's perspective on the Gators' new coaching staff

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
MJMGator;n235846 said:
According to those rankings, we should have won those NCs instead of Auburn and OSU. I mean, recruiting rankings are everything aren't they? :dunno:
No. You need a great coach too. My point is there aren't any teams (even with great coaches) that are winning National Championships without top recruits. Jimmy's and Joe's.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n235882 said:
No. You need a great coach too. My point is there aren't any teams (even with great coaches) that are winning National Championships without top recruits. Jimmy's and Joe's.
Once again, coaching (winning) is what draws the great recruits. Great coaching can also overcome mediocre recruiting, but great recruiting won't overcome mediocre coaching with the possible exception of one good year like Chizik and WM. That's why it's not time to panic about our recruiting rankings. Give this staff some time to prove what they can do with a decent roster and I think you'll see us start to get our fair share of the 4-5* kids.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
MJMGator;n235884 said:
Great coaching can also overcome mediocre recruiting,
Again, name me a team that has won the NC with mediocre recruiting. Doesn't happen.

I'm not panicking yet. But recent history shows us that great recruiters bring in great recruiting classes in their second year. Meyer's classes never had more than five 2/3 stars after his second year. McElwain has 11 now. He will need to get off the 3 star train soon if he's going to turn this around.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n235445 said:
Glad law is on the record saying this was a cheap hire.
FIFY

He's probably as good as we were going to get out of the "currently makes less than a million" pile. If the other option is Hudspeth, then yes, I prefer MacTatersalad. I don't think Doc Holliday was ever a serious candidate.

I'm just pissed we limit ourselves to the third or fourth tier coaches.

Our defensive coordinator was a bad hire. The offensive coordinator is questionable, very questionable. At least they were cheap.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's already been said, but I believe we'll see several of our 3* guys will become 4* after camping. I'm not sure why, but I find myself trusting JMac's judgement of players' abilities far more than the last guy. At least on the offensive side of the ball I do.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n235921 said:
FIFY

He's probably as good as we were going to get out of the "currently makes less than a million" pile. If the other option is Hudspeth, then yes, I prefer MacTatersalad. I don't think Doc Holliday was ever a serious candidate.

I'm just pissed we limit ourselves to the third or fourth tier coaches.

Our defensive coordinator was a bad hire. The offensive coordinator is questionable, very questionable. At least they were cheap.

Ok I get it. How about you indicate which coach you think we could have gotten, how much it would have cost and your idea of the probability that their current employer would not match or exceed your offer.

Please specifically indicate why you think those that you prefer would actually come to UF.

Then perhaps we can evaluate those potential coaches and have a good discussion in the off season.

Thanks!!!

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n235933 said:
Whatever!!!

Quite true I guess. Let's fire Foley for not being able to hire whoever we might want. How about Urban coming back or Saban instead, if say the entity was anointing us which would be the best choice. Another way to encourage debate. Perhaps I need another thread, that is a good idea!!!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n235910 said:
Again, name me a team that has won the NC with mediocre recruiting. Doesn't happen.

I'm not panicking yet. But recent history shows us that great recruiters bring in great recruiting classes in their second year. Meyer's classes never had more than five 2/3 stars after his second year. McElwain has 11 now. He will need to get off the 3 star train soon if he's going to turn this around.

I guess you and I aren't in the same ballpark. I'm not delusional enough to think we're anywhere near NC aspirations after the last 5 years. I also think it's nuts to try and compare Mac to Meyer in regards to recruiting. Meyer and Saban are on a whole different level than anyone else in the country as far as recruiting and coaching. I actually think Meyer has passed Saban at this point. Saban has had the top class for what seems like a decade, but he's not bringing home the hardware lately.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n235927 said:
Ok I get it. How about you indicate which coach you think we could have gotten, how much it would have cost and your idea of the probability that their current employer would not match or exceed your offer.

Please specifically indicate why you think those that you prefer would actually come to UF.

Then perhaps we can evaluate those potential coaches and have a good discussion in the off season.

Thanks!!!

It's not gonna happen. The naysayers can only find fault...they have no solutions.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n235981 said:
It's not gonna happen. The naysayers can only find fault...they have no solutions.

That's pretty much how I viewed it, but I really expected something back other than my latest tag line. Now I don't see any of the top targets being capable of coming here. Some that were mentioned I would not want.

So I think we got the best that was capable of being caught. Getting Champ really did not work out so well.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
NavetG8r;n235922 said:
I think it's already been said, but I believe we'll see several of our 3* guys will become 4* after camping. I'm not sure why, but I find myself trusting JMac's judgement of players' abilities far more than the last guy. At least on the offensive side of the ball I do.

I agree, we knew and even Muschamp admitted he was weak when it came to offense. I see us getting better on offense although I'm not too sure how fast it will happen....I am worried what will become of the defense though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.