Any Gators my age or older?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I liked Dubs, Grand Fallun, and Big Daddies, I m sure none of you remember Traders South, you re all good moral people.

You aren’t quite as ancient as I thought if you’re remembering Dubs and the Lamplighter. Hell, we probably roomed together.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hail Caesar Augustus!
Graves brought Fla to almost good, from a little better than average under the last coach Graves didn t cheat like Pell or choke like Dicky.
RomanGator, come on old guys, don t some of you remember Linsey Scott?
we don't talk about that around here

RomanGator

Dec 1, 2014
Time Travel is taught to some special History grads, Paton wrote a poem about it.
"Across the timeless face of war, the conflicts all I see,
in many climes and places, but always me"
Great poem read by George C Scott

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I was at Florida Field on a miserable cold night when Dickey's 1973 team lost to Miami 16-7. What's that you say it was a team from the MAC called Miami of Ohio and it was the Tangerine Bowl. WHAT, the Tangerine Bowl isn't in Gainesville it's in Orlando. Ahhh, thats right Dickey would only play in the T-bowl if they moved it to G-ville. Still lost! Misery is back in full force and feels equally stupid.
And zooker was on that Miami (of Ohio) team. I was there, Had good seats and it was cold as shttttt....Tangerine bowl In Gville it was.
Shame on you BDLP, good Gators with Halos don t know about that place, or the Dragon Art theater.
Dragon Art Drive Inn. Catholic Church bought the property to stop that abomination. Just outside of High Springs.
Gville was much nicer back then.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
My first sporting event in person was the 1979 UF-FSU game, debut of the Clemson orange uniforms, 9 years old, Jim Finch with Heeeerrrreeee Come The Gators and the crowd becoming absolutely pissed at a bad onside kick call late in the game got me hooked.

A year later, at the ripe age of 10, I dropped the F bomb in front of my mother for the first time in my life, Lindsay Scott was around the UF 20 yard line or so on the far sideline at the time. I didn't get punished.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A year later, at the ripe age of 10, I dropped the F bomb in front of my mother for the first time in my life, Lindsay Scott was around the UF 20 yard line or so on the far sideline at the time. I didn't get punished.

This explains alot right here

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My printer is out for awhile.
Roman Gator

Did you have to go full "Dad needs help messaging Aunt Gerty on AOL. He says he can't find the 'any' key"?

Good God, my friend, you are a walking, talking Boomer meme...and you are now my favorite Gatorchatter poster. :lol:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Do some of you that remember Gator history remember in 1928 Bauchman lost to Tenn on a muddy field and we started the "Golden Era" ? With this crew I only see 3 wins next year. My printer is out for awhile. I just wonder if it will get as bad as 1979? I never thought I d see this again. Wish we could find another Ray Graves.
Roman Gator
Guarding the Rhine from Barbarians.

I am not nearly as old as you are Roman but I am old enough to remember attending games during the Ray Graves era when I was in elementary school. The gators were bigger than life to me back then.

I also remember attending the last game coached by Doug Dickey in 1978, I took my girlfriend (now my wife) and Florida blew a big halftime lead and lost to Miami and you could feel the tension in the stadium but I was too naive to realize that a change was eminent.

Should Mullen stay another year I believe it’s possible that the season could be worse than 1979 since we at least had hope that things would get better. No chance of that with Mullen

RomanGator

Dec 1, 2014
Dear Bernardo, I m as old as a Junior watching a Don Gaffney pitchout to Jimmy Du Bose, and Fisher throwing a short pass to get us into the end zone, plus a few extra years working, and Active Duty to get the college money I needed. How did you guess I started with AOL? It was the only English provider in Germany. About 5 or 6 yrs ago I saw someone was sending my posts and private data to St. Petersberg, (not Florida) and got a new provider.
Do any of you remember protest rallies against O'Connell? The kind of rallies he had outside of Tigert and the ROTC building may be what we need to finally boot the AD and Mullen. The Alligator said"Truth is our greatest weapon" "Theres a riot going on" by the Beach Boys, remember that song? As for me, I m to old to go back to those days and live like that, a little smarter than then I hope too. Many of those 60s freaks became hard core capitalists later, wakeing up and smelling the coffee just in time for Regan. We d better start planning what we ll do if 2022 is 1979 all over again. I d spend my weekends at the Island Hotel at Ceder key, can t get better than that, if the L and N bar is still open
Roman Gator
ps or maybe the Yearling at Cross Creek

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I was at Florida Field on a miserable cold night when Dickey's 1973 team lost to Miami 16-7. What's that you say it was a team from the MAC called Miami of Ohio and it was the Tangerine Bowl. WHAT, the Tangerine Bowl isn't in Gainesville it's in Orlando. Ahhh, thats right Dickey would only play in the T-bowl if they moved it to G-ville. Still lost! Misery is back in full force and feels equally stupid.

Hopefully you had a lightweight jacket.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
This thread has legs!

old-man-legs.jpg

RomanGator

Dec 1, 2014
Well guys, I m sorry to hear you were chilled like a 20th Legionaire standing on Hadrians
wall in a North English winter, but for the games I had my girlfriends to keep me warm, they were good with suntan oil in the early games too.
Roman Gator

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Perhaps some of you who still have some black hair, remember Doug Dickeys last year and what happened till Charlie Pell showed up, with the best men money could buy.
RomanGator
It was sure cold and wet when we lost to the Terps that new years nite.

Thanks for your service Roman!

I'm a Boomer, born in 47........ I remember Graves, Dickey, Pell and several others.

Of all the Gator Coaches, I still dislike Dickey the most but he would probably be an upgrade on the 3 most recent.

One of my first memories as a Gator was attending a Gator Growl when Dickey was coached. When it was his turn to talk he got booed out.
neteng
I peed on the black gate

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
My first year at Florida was Year of the Gator/First in Sex. We lost to Georgia 51-0 and someone lied to Playboy. Get off my lawn.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
How many SEC rings and/or Nattys did Graves win? Asking for a friend.
A better question might be how many Steve Spurriers had anyone else ever brought to UF prior to Coach Graves. You do a disservice to a fine coach and an even better man by ignoring or discounting his contributions to the modern era of UF FB. UF was straight-up garbage for over thirty years before CRG lifted us out of the crapper and set the stage for the greatest Gator of them all. Graves was also responsible for bringing one of the best passing offenses of the day into an SEC that viewed throwing the ball as some sort of commie plot.

The fact that he beat Bama in Tuscaloosa in 1963, and missed doing so again in '64, only after a furious SS led comeback failed when the place kicker missed a chip shot FG as the game ended, is a memory that many older Gators still cherish. Throw in the great upset win over a really good GT squad, with Bobby Dodd jr. at QB, to start the season in 1960, the entire Spurrier era along with all of his exploits and accomplishments, the Super Sophs, featuring Reaves to Alvarez, plus the win over Dickey's UT team in the Gator Bowl in 1969 and I just don't see how anyone who knows anything at all about UF FB can throw shade on one the more important figures in program history. End of rant.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Well guys, I m sorry to hear you were chilled like a 20th Legionaire standing on Hadrians
wall in a North English winter, but for the games I had my girlfriends to keep me warm, they were good with suntan oil in the early games too.
Roman Gator

Gentlemen and Ladies sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator