Are the Atlanta Braves the best team in baseball?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Have always loved the Braves.

When in Jr. High locally cable TV was coming to town. One of our friends family was some of the first to get the service. So every afternoon as soon as school was over, we all hauled azz over to his house to catch as much of the 1:05 games as we could. And of course Murphy was the man. From then on it was a TV staple. It always seemed to be a staple at home. Newly married and with kids, the wife always made sure TBS was on and the Braves were playing at 7:05. Wish we could catch them more on TV now like back then.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Game over as soon as it starts. See braves fans? Beating this rays team is no great feat. The rays blow. 2 games up after being 6.5 up less than two weeks ago. Fuchs the rays

Seriously just go ahead and move out of town. These two series have been disgusting. I'd say its been 90% phillies fans and braves fans in our own stadium. St. Pete is not a baseball town. Move them to tampa or get out of the state

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Game over as soon as it starts. See braves fans? Beating this rays team is no great feat. The rays blow. 2 games up after being 6.5 up less than two weeks ago. Fuchs the rays

Seriously just go ahead and move out of town. These two series have been disgusting. I'd say its been 90% phillies fans and braves fans in our own stadium. St. Pete is not a baseball town. Move them to tampa or get out of the state
They are gonna go to Orlando.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
There were no pro baseball teams in Florida. When I was a kid, you could watch either the Braves on TBS or the Cubbies on WGN. Growing up, everybody was either Dale Murphy or Ryne Sandberg. Most picked the Braves because they were the closest geographically.

Other than Dale Murphy, they stunk on ice.

This was the Bob Horner, Rick Mahler, Claudell Washington, Glenn Hubbard, Bruce Benedict, Ken Oberkfell, Bruce Sutter, Joe Torre era of suckitude.

Dale Murphy should be in the HOF. I said what I said.

Alex.

My opinion is he got penalized for being on bad teams so the committee didn't see him as "valuable" to the team

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
The rays have been around since 98 now. Theres no excuse for people who have been living in florida to root for the braves over the rays or marlins at this point. Yeah I get the braves were what was on TV before the rays. But that's not been the case in a long time. That's the biggest issue with their attendence aside from the location: People who have been living for florida for years and likely not to move out any time soon choosing to root for teams in states they probably won't ever live in again instead of the home team.

The "braves fans" who have never lived in georgia infesting our stadium (and the phillies fans from last series) disgust me. The last two nights have been sellouts. I would be most of those braves fans live in florida and have for a very long time...and they only show up for one series. Root for the home team you bastards.

Last edited:

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
They are gonna go to Orlando.
I wish. These two series with the stadium completely filled with opposing fans is sickening. Imo the rays will move out of florida before that happens, and series like these two are why. Sure location is awful, but then you have Too many transient fans who won't give up their old team they'll probably never go to a home game for again.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
What was it you hated about Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine? Perhaps the greatest pitching lineup of all time.
What is to understand. I have another favorite team. And I hated the Braves no matter how good they were and no matter how few WS they won while very good.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I wish. These two series with the stadium completely filled with opposing fans is sickening. Imo the rays will move out of florida before that happens, and series like these two are why. Sure location is awful, but then you have Too many transient fans who won't give up their old team they'll probably never go to a home game for again.
Folks don’t give up their favorite teams simply because they move. If you take a job in Tallahassee are you gonna start pulling for the Nulls?

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Folks don’t give up their favorite teams simply because they move. If you take a job in Tallahassee are you gonna start pulling for the Nulls?
Of course not. But to me that's different, its a few hours difference. Big difference than rooting for a team from out of state that you can't just get up and drive a few hours to on a whim. The rays huge problem is they are a fairly new team. People that lived here before they were ever thought of cheered for the only team they could get on tv reliably, the braves. BUt that was the only reason for a lot of those fans. Now they got a team close to home they can actually go to on a consistent basis

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Of course not. But to me that's different, its a few hours difference. Big difference than rooting for a team from out of state that you can't just get up and drive a few hours to on a whim. The rays huge problem is they are a fairly new team. People that lived here before they were ever thought of cheered for the only team they could get on tv reliably, the braves. BUt that was the only reason for a lot of those fans. Now they got a team close to home they can actually go to on a consistent basis
Your favorite team doesn’t cease to exist because you moved.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I live in Jacksonville. It's 4-5 hours to get to a Falcons game. I was a Falcons fan my whole life before moving here. Should I stop being a fan and bandwagon onto a local team like the Jags or Bucs. My FIL spent the first 40 years of his life in VA and is a huge Skins fan. Been here since 1988. Should he stop being a fan?

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Your favorite team doesn’t cease to exist because you moved.
I know that. No reason you can't have two though. Root for the team you rooted for as a kid when you lived in that state, but also root for the home team of the state you have lived in for most of your adult life too.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I live in Jacksonville. It's 4-5 hours to get to a Falcons game. I was a Falcons fan my whole life before moving here. Should I stop being a fan and bandwagon onto a local team like the Jags or Bucs. My FIL spent the first 40 years of his life in VA and is a huge Skins fan. Been here since 1988. Should he stop being a fan?
Nope. Why can't you be a fan of both the team in the state you no longer lived in but lived in as a child, and the team thats driving distance from your house? This sold out rays game with 80% braves fans is a perfect example. After this series the stadium will be back to like 14k fans. Most of those braves fans probably live here close to st pete and have for a very long time, and won't come to another game this year.. Why not support both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator