Are the Atlanta Braves the best team in baseball?

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
I am headed down to St Pete in the morning to catch the Saturday and Sunday games! Being a lifelong Braves fan going back to the 90s glory days, I can’t ever recall a team who pounces on teams in the 1st inning like this squad does….and the stretch they have been on since June has been historic…..if there is a weakness, I would say either a little too strikeout prone and a not always reliable closer…..I fully expect Rays to at least win 1 game minimum….they are too good to get swept at home even though I know the Phillies just did it….

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There was an old man that lived down the road from my granddaddy’s farm, Mr. Bill Ritter, who was a big Braves fan. Mr. Bill was an old bachelor who lived alone in a house with no running water or electricity. He didn’t drive, no car or truck, and was illiterate. Granddaddy kept him fed about half the year from the garden at the farm and in return Mr. Bill kept an eye on things. His only entertainment that I ever knew of was a transistor radio that he picked up the Braves games on and was a huge fan even though he couldn’t read about them in the paper or see them on the news or tv.

Summer of ‘70 and the tobacco season over, we rode up to the farm to check on things and stopped by to look in on Mr. Bill. He wasn’t a man given to emotion, but when Granddaddy asked him how the Braves were doing, his eyes lit up. He excitedly tried to tell us about the Braves winning, but more importantly one of the Braves had hit three homeruns in a row! In Mr. Bill’s words “They was this one Brave that hit three home run balls and ‘bout won the game by hisself! I don’t know what his name was, but the folks on the radio called him ‘the Atlanta Potater!’” Of course Mr. Bill was talking about Orlando Cepeda! We never let on in front of Mr. Bill that we knew different, but we enjoyed a chuckle every time we talked baseball from then on.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone who was a baseball fan in the South before 1966 is a Braves fan. 100%.

There were no pro baseball teams in Florida. When I was a kid, you could watch either the Braves on TBS or the Cubbies on WGN. Growing up, everybody was either Dale Murphy or Ryne Sandberg. Most picked the Braves because they were the closest geographically.

Other than Dale Murphy, they stunk on ice.

This was the Bob Horner, Rick Mahler, Claudell Washington, Glenn Hubbard, Bruce Benedict, Ken Oberkfell, Bruce Sutter, Joe Torre era of suckitude.

Dale Murphy should be in the HOF. I said what I said.

Alex.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This. There were no baseball teams in FL until the Marlins in 1993. Not only were the Braves the closest team during a time when baseball was a lot more popular, they were on TV all the time thanks to TBS....the 'Superstation!'

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
The first little league team I was on was the Braves, 1964, Vicenza Italy. Followed them in the papers, the era of Warren Spahan (Sponny), Eddie Matthews, Joe Torre, Rico Carty (the fastest man in baseball at the time--so they said) and Hank Aaron when they were in Milwaukee. In '66 (Lawton, OK) I used my dad's transistor radio, I'd go through the dial to catch a broadcast. At night you could pick up weak signals from Atlanta. Ernie Johnson Sr. and Milo Hamilton were great to listen to--like listening to a couple of favorite uncles, and what baseball stories they had. Chief Knock-A-Homa would come out of his teepee and do a war dance at every Braves home run. How cheesy, but kids loved it.
The stupid chant is hard to endure.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
NO!

(Disclosure, I don't really know...I just hate them as a team and organization other than Hank Aaron and Dale Murphy...those guys were fine.)

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NO!

(Disclosure, I don't really know...I just hate them as a team and organization other than Hank Aaron and Dale Murphy...those guys were fine.)
What was it you hated about Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine? Perhaps the greatest pitching lineup of all time.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
What'd I tell you. Nothing to worry about this weekend braves fans. If you can score more than 1 run this team is a pushover

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Rays about to be only 3 up. They've not won a game in near a full week. Beating this team is nothing to be proud of

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I mean who doesn’t like a georgia based team that does the chop?
Tonight Show Comedian GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
There were no pro baseball teams in Florida. When I was a kid, you could watch either the Braves on TBS or the Cubbies on WGN. Growing up, everybody was either Dale Murphy or Ryne Sandberg. Most picked the Braves because they were the closest geographically.

Other than Dale Murphy, they stunk on ice.

This was the Bob Horner, Rick Mahler, Claudell Washington, Glenn Hubbard, Bruce Benedict, Ken Oberkfell, Bruce Sutter, Joe Torre era of suckitude.

Dale Murphy should be in the HOF. I said what I said.

Alex.

This. Murphy was the man when I was growing up. Still my favorite Brave. My second team was the Cubs watching every day after school.

If Murphy had 2 more home runs he would have been in years ago. But voters and you have to hit 400 to be considered if you were an outfielder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.