Are the Gators of the 80's?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
LOL... MY Dad had that sticker up on the cabinet above his work bench in our garage... Don't ask me why, but I can remember it like it was yesterday.
I still have an SEC title tag from 1984 and t-shirt Also a Galens Gators T-shirt

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There are a lot of similarities. For example in 1988 we started off 5-0 then with a series of injuries we end up 6-5. In 1989 we started off 6-1 then lost our starting QB (Kyle Morris) for Gambling, and we all know what happened with Grier. We were known for having a bad ass secondary with Adrian White, Louis Oliver, and Jarvis Williams to name a couple. We had a couple of WRs that were damn good in Chris "Cadillac" Collinsworth, Ricky Nattiel, Dwayne Dixon, and Ray McDonald to name a couple. We had a head coach that did "just enough" but not enough to win it all (or an outright SEC title due to sanctions) in Galen Hall.

Yes there are a lot of things we don’t have that we had in the 80's like Emmitt Smith, Wilber Marshall, Kerwin Bell, Wayne Peace (although we had a Pease), "The Great Wall", and I don’t see the NCAA infractions coming our way. However our records are very similar. In the famous words of Ox...."Discuss"
Those eigthies teams were pretty talented. We were like Georgia is today, the most talented team that didnt win shyt.

I dont remember the 70s but I suspect that is a better analogy, but I dont know. All the directional Florida schools that are now challenging us didnt exist then.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Those eigthies teams were pretty talented. We were like Georgia is today, the most talented team that didnt win shyt.

I dont remember the 70s but I suspect that is a better analogy, but I dont know. All the directional Florida schools that are now challenging us didnt exist then.
I would argue that we have young talent at the RB and WR positions, and with a couple more O-Line men and QB we could be elite on offense. The Defense will be a work in progress I think next year and the year after if we don't get some LBs....hell every position needs some work since we are going to lose a lot on that side of the ball.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I still resent the fact that we endured the wrath of God for violations in the 80's yet today schools lawyer up and/or stall to the point where they receive the proverbial hand slap. That probation not only set our program back 8-10 years, it simultaneously took FSU over the top in the state.
Yes, SOS came in and saved the day but he was facing a juggernaut in Tally that was created by the NCAA.

100% true!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I would argue that we have young talent at the RB and WR positions

We argued that with Fullwoods class, too. You are what your film says you are. So far they are guys who dont run routes well and dont beat DBs on 50/50 balls.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
We argued that with Fullwoods class, too. You are what your film says you are. So far they are guys who dont run routes well and dont beat DBs on 50/50 balls.
The only ones that argued that argued it from their High School film not their College Film. We have the speed and size in Callaway, Swain. Plus I think our RBs are solid....we just need to get rid of this RB by committee thing and let the best two carry the load.

G8RATL

Master of My Domain
Aug 14, 2015
SOS used good talent but the biggest thing he brought to the table was innovation. nothing like those SOS offensive schemes have ever been brought to the table in the SEC before. Before SOS, it was ground and pound and play D and the SEC was built to play that way. That's why it took years for the other teams to catch up near the end of SOS's tenure. Compare that to the stale "offense" we have now. No D has to scheme for anything we bring to the table. Play base D and watch the Gator O wet the bed; lack of QB talent and scheme.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Back in the 80's I hated Georgia more than any team in college football. In Jax, UGA fans were everywhere, especially in my neighborhood. It sure didn't help we only managed a win in 1984 and 1986.

All of a sudden, when Vince Dooley's career started circling the toilet with 3-4 losses per season in the late 80's, I noticed more and more and more and more FSU fans started to appear, along with the decline of not only UGA's football program, but the UGA fan base.:scratchchin::suspect:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I got two of the Coke bottles SEC champs Florida gators. Still got the Coke in em.
I have either 5 or 6..........with the coke.......
I believe my dad as a football signed by every coach and player on the 1984 roster.
That is very cool. They had some REAL talent on that team. I remember when theyplayed scUM there like 20 NFL players on those combined lists................

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
All of a sudden, when Vince Dooley's career started circling the toilet with 3-4 losses per season in the late 80's, I noticed more and more and more and more FSU fans started to appear, along with the decline of not only UGA's football program, but the UGA fan base.:scratchchin::suspect:
When I began teaching at Hampton in 85 I usually had about 3 kids where dwag sh#t.............after SOS came in I rarely ever red and black..............that bandwagon busted an axel.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The bigger difference is that SOS walked in to a program that hadn't really ever had national prominence and took it to the top of the mountain. So those that have come after including Foley have now sunk us back to where it was, or close to it before SOS took over. Inexcusable.

We ended up in trouble but we were considered one of the best teams in the country just a few years before Spurrier got here in the mid 80s. When BYU got that National Championship that year in that joke bowl many people thought we were the best team in the country that year. Agree 100% on Foley however.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
We ended up in trouble but we were considered one of the best teams in the country just a few years before Spurrier got here in the mid 80s. When BYU got that National Championship that year in that joke bowl many people thought we were the best team in the country that year. Agree 100% on Foley however.
I realized we weren't always a dumpster fire before SOS, however, we were always considered a powerhouse with NC and in the hunt for the SEC champ damn near every year. That went south with two ****ty hires.......really 3 but it was chump and potentially the current coach. I am holding out hope that he can salvage a recruiting and get this mess turned around but not all that confident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator