Are we better than last years team at this point?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Sort it by conference. These stupid things rank by competition. You could put a HS team in there and have it come up 10th.
Definitely not as good as choosing total offense ranking (for example) to look at progress. Would never see UCF, SMU, Hawaii, or Louisiana in the top 11 in that high tech stat.

NCAA College Football FBS current team Stats | NCAA.com

If offense isn’t your thing, total defense is a totally smart way to look at it. Would never see SDSU, Buffalo, Missouri, or Pittsburgh in the top 11.

NCAA College Football FBS current team Stats | NCAA.com

Thankfully, those two stats aren’t relative to competition so you’d never get HS quality teams like some of those I listed in the rankings.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
This team is WAY better than last year's team. I'm almost offended by the question.

Trask has opened up the passing game. And we're loaded with pass catchers. LSU has the best passing attack, hands down. But I think us along with Bama(healthy Tua) can rival them. Trask had a pretty pedestrian game against Mizzou, but still almost had 300 yds.

I honestly feel we match up well with any team in the country on a neutral field. I wouldn't have said that last year. We're very unbalanced because we can't run to save our lives. But that's not all bad. We have 5 or 6 legitimate threats that we can throw at teams. I think it's pretty unstoppable if the coaches would just commit to being a throwing team. Their getting there, but I'd like to see a little more throwing to be honest. Running plays are like wasted downs.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This team is WAY better than last year's team. I'm almost offended by the question.

Trask has opened up the passing game. And we're loaded with pass catchers. LSU has the best passing attack, hands down. But I think us along with Bama(healthy Tua) can rival them.
1g2g5k.png

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Last years team would have won by 17-20 points pulling away in the 4th on the backs of 5-10-15 yard runs by Perine and Scarlett.....remember nobody in this years Dbackfield can tackle like CGJ....

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Last years team would have won by 17-20 points pulling away in the 4th on the backs of 5-10-15 yard runs by Perine and Scarlett.....remember nobody in this years Dbackfield can tackle like CGJ....
I can't believe Im agreeing with Crete. Last year's team would handle this years. They could run the ball and get off on 3rd down consistently. This team does neither, at all.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
About the same. You don’t lose 4 starters on O-line and not get worse there.

At QB, I say about the same. Before you jump all over me, Trask is a better passer, Franks was a better run threat. Our running has been dismal and that has favored Trask, but Franks was lighting it up at this time last year.

Defense seems slightly better in places, but infuriatingly gives up big plays at inopportune times. That does show up in stats, but “3rd and Grantham” isn’t a thing for no reason.

Coaching is slightly better. Being a pass-first offense is killing Mullen, but he’s doing it and getting the most out of the talent he has on the field. This is still one of the least talented (by average recruiting rankings over the past 4 years) Florida has fielded, and our 2 losses being to the #1 and possibly #4 teams (and we were in both games late) is a coaching win.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I can't believe Im agreeing with Crete. Last year's team would handle this years. They could run the ball and get off on 3rd down consistently. This team does neither, at all.
We were a better defense across the board last year. Just as good of a pass rush, better against the run and didn't have to gamble to get off the field on 3rd like you said. Our dbacks can't tackle a loose RB to save their lives this year. And while we are better at passing the ball this year we aren't an offensive juggernaut the way some make it out to be....I mean we scored 23 points against Mizzou, 17 against UGA, 24 against an over rated Auburn team and 27 against UK…..Yeah bring on Clemson, Baby.....:lol2:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
At QB, I say about the same. Before you jump all over me, Trask is a better passer, Franks was a better run threat. Our running has been dismal and that has favored Trask, but Franks was lighting it up at this time last year.
:tard:

You are losing it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Worse. We’re scoring the same and giving up six more, but the big difference is offensive distribution and how it impacts the defense.

We were nearly a 50/50 team in total yards a year ago, which kept the defense off the field longer. We have 2.5 times as many passing yards as on the ground this year. You can’t beat really good teams with that kind of imbalance.

We’ve known for awhile the run imbalance was an issue. Our offensive line leaves much to be desired. It needs to get fixed, and fast.

Defensively, we’re not getting enough push from the line absent blitzes, and our linebackers ... I don’t even want to go there.

There’s a reason why people love Mullen and why they loathe him. You get a first-year bump, then a flatline. We’re flatlined. How long do you go stuck in third gear before you say eff it?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Worse. We’re scoring the same and giving up six more, but the big difference is offensive distribution and how it impacts the defense.

We were nearly a 50/50 team in total yards a year ago, which kept the defense off the field longer. We have 2.5 times as many passing yards as on the ground this year. You can’t beat really good teams with that kind of imbalance.

We’ve known for awhile the run imbalance was an issue. Our offensive line leaves much to be desired. It needs to get fixed, and fast.

Defensively, we’re not getting enough push from the line absent blitzes, and our linebackers ... I don’t even want to go there.

There’s a reason why people love Mullen and why they loathe him. You get a first-year bump, then a flatline. We’re flatlined. How long do you go stuck in third gear before you say eff it?
Until the facilities are done and you find the real deal.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

I didn't want to be the one to say it because everyone thinks I want some kind of Winged T offense or something but you hit the nail on the head. Despite Trask being a far superior passer were not really any better as a team......hmmmm.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Of course we are worse. We should be. Lost most of our O-LINE. Worst aspect is that the O-LINE doesn't seem to have improved over the course of the season.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Worst aspect is that the O-LINE doesn't seem to have improved over the course of the season.
Puzzling too since there was some experience even though 4 were new starters. They've been around CFB and the weight room/training table. Hell were not small upfront except at Center yet we push NO ONE around....what gives?

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
:tard:

You are losing it.

Your Alzheimer’s is flaring up. Franks turned a corner and his last five games looked good with an occasional great. He had a great bowl game. You are letting his bad start this year taint your memory.

He accounted for 31 (24 passing) TDs last year to 6 picks, with 345 rushing yards (7 TDS). Trask has 21 and 6, with 0 rushing TDs and -45 yds rushing. Those are 13 games compared to 10, but in the end those are going to be very similar production numbers.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Your Alzheimer’s is flaring up. Franks turned a corner and his last five games looked good with an occasional great. He had a great bowl game. You are letting his bad start this year taint your memory.

He accounted for 31 (24 passing) TDs last year to 6 picks, with 345 rushing yards (7 TDS). Trask has 21 and 6, with 0 rushing TDs and -45 yds rushing. Those are 13 games compared to 10, but in the end those are going to be very similar production numbers.
Numbers are one thing, having to watch him play was another. He wasn't nearly as good as those stats suggest. Not even close.

I know you're still pining for him (kind of like your weird obsession with Butters that is still there), but he's not coming back to save us. Neither is Butters.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
OL is significantly worse. Secondary is somewhat worse. RB position is slightly worse. Overall talent is arguably a little worse. QB is GREATLY IMPROVED. Team chemistry and overall cohesion/maturity is probably better - not losing to KY and Misery is certainly evidence of some improvement in that area. Fairly close to a wash really, with the major caveat that KT has been a huge asset while FF was the most maddeningly inconsistent/mistake-prone QB in recent UF history. If the two teams played, the performance of FF Vs. KT could very well determine the outcome.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Numbers are one thing, having to watch him play was another. He wasn't nearly as good as those stats suggest. Not even close.

I know you're still pining for him (kind of like your weird obsession with Butters that is still there), but he's not coming back to save us. Neither is Butters.

:lmao2:

More Alzheimer’s...it a shame it’s kicking in so quickly. You didn’t look a day over 60 when I saw you last.

I’m a Trask fan - he’s so much better in this offense than Franks, and I love his story. I despise the sharkfker more than you. I know you are doing this because how hard you fell for my Tua trolling yesterday. :lol:

#marchtoamillion

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BNA, Trask did it in spite of everyone from here to East Ishkabib knowing he was going to throw on the key downs. Franks had the luxury of a running game.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
To answer the thread title...nope. Our passing game is better, running game is ass. Defensive backfield has taken steps back. DL has shown flashes, but has also been absolutely wrecked at times. UK, Carolina, Mizzou, Vandy have all been worse. LSU improved, UGA stayed about the same. Looking at performance versus how opponents have trended, I can't say we are better, just taking advantage of a more favorable schedule with a much better passing attack.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
BNA, Trask did it in spite of everyone from here to East Ishkabib knowing he was going to throw on the key downs. Franks had the luxury of a running game.
Franks has the luxury of a run game because he was a threat to run. Trask doesn’t because he isn’t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.