Are we going to be any good this year?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n256820 said:
Did anyone see the "best case/worst case" prediction by the guy on the SECN. He said worst case was 6th in the East if we struggled at QB play, OL and LB. Then he said if we get good QB play, the OL gels, a playmaker emerges and the defense is good our best case is 3rd in the East. Not a ringing endorsement, is it?

I saw it. I can see why they think that. If we somehow did lose to KY we would end up 6th in the East probably.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw;n256839 said:
How anyone can think we'll be worse than last year I have no idea. And how he thinks we can possible be around Vandy level bewilders me. I see our worst care scenario being 4th/5th, going 6-6. Best case scenario we could be 9-3 provided the OL gels well and is serviceable and our LB's play well. Not worried about QB at all. We have two young but good quarterbacks there imo.

It's quite possible we could be worse than last year if the OL and QB positions are bad. I think we'll be better, but I still think our record is the same as last year...7-5.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n256843 said:
I saw it. I can see why they think that. If we somehow did lose to KY we would end up 6th in the East probably.

Agreed...but the upside is that I think there's only two "good" teams in the East this year. Missou and the Dwags. UK and Vandy are the usual cellar dwellers. I think the Cocks will struggle again and as usual, the Vols will be 7-6.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n256922 said:
Agreed...but the upside is that I think there's only two "good" teams in the East this year. Missou and the Dwags. UK and Vandy are the usual cellar dwellers. I think the Cocks will struggle again and as usual, the Vols will be 7-6.

I think the Vols could pull some upsets if that QB doesn't regress but I know I am in the minority on that here. SC is the big wildcard I think as Spurrier is talking like they have a contender for the East and usually he doesn't do that too much.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n256927 said:
I think the Vols could pull some upsets if that QB doesn't regress but I know I am in the minority on that here. SC is the big wildcard I think as Spurrier is talking like they have a contender for the East and usually he doesn't do that too much.

He was talking the same thing last year.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
MJMGator;n256915 said:
It's quite possible we could be worse than last year if the OL and QB positions are bad. I think we'll be better, but I still think our record is the same as last year...7-5.

I saw McElroy's comments as well. I really don't see how we could be worse. I'm cautious entering the season, and fully expect it to be a bumpy road. But the OL being bad wouldn't be unique to this year. It's been bad for much of the last 5 years. Even QB play being bad would still be on par with what we've seen recently. If Mac is any better at coaching/motivating, I don't see how we could actually be worse.

Let's be honest. The Lsu and Usce games were wins with even a slightly above average head coach. Mizzou was literally handed the game by a completely mentally and physically broken QB. Any improvements in those categories and we're at 8 wins, and 2-3rd place in the East last year. Replacing a Tuscaloosa road game with a home game against OM is an improvement in itself. I tend to think like you. 7-5 is probably our range. I just think we're more likely to be at 8 wins than 6, barring a monumental rash of injuries.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The news on Morrison certainly is troubling. Anzalone should be able to fill in well, but obviously depth here is a huge concern . Q Powell looked pretty good in the spring game, so hopefully he can be a capable back up. Too much injury history here to be thrilled about .We can't really count on guys like Rolen at this point. I suspect with the exception of the LSU game we will be in Nickel 4-2-5 most of the time. This will highlight our strength in the secondary, and cover up the lack of bodies at LB. At least until we play a two back team that likes to run it between the tackles 40 times a game.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
JimtheGator;n256313 said:
Did no one click on the link? I give you the answer to the question that has confounded us since he asked it and it falls on deaf ears. From the website - So, there you have it! Midline is not only one of the best plays in all of football, with a few tweaks it can also be one of the most versatile plays in all of football. If you are only running one version of the midline, you are sorely missing out on some grand opportunities at one of the most versatile plays in all of football!

You can thank me later.

I clicked it. Thanks for sharing it. Now maybe that dead horse will be spared further beatings.

I think the majority of people here want to completely discredit Muschamp as if he was completely unqualified and as though he knows less about football than they do. While I'm glad that our program has moved on, I do find it ironic that it was used to mock him as if he was ignorant, when he was in fact (wrongly or not) using it to remind the media / public that they don't know as much as he does.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the question was, "Are we gonna get any good players this year?"

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw;n256839 said:
How anyone can think we'll be worse than last year I have no idea. And how he thinks we can possible be around Vandy level bewilders me.
We have an OL that at best will be below average and will include probably 5 freshmen including several true freshmen. With an injury or two the will probably be the worst the SEC has seen in modern history.

The defense has basically the same situation at LB. Some talent but everyone has a severe injury history. DL is average at best. Safeties have been atrocious at times.

And both coordinators suck.

Other than that, we are in good shape.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
fd1aa6599c33ae397681bae211710bd0.jpg

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Law98gator;n257067 said:
We have an OL that at best will be below average and will include probably 5 freshmen including several true freshmen. With an injury or two the will probably be the worst the SEC has seen in modern history.

The defense has basically the same situation at LB. Some talent but everyone has a severe injury history. DL is average at best. Safeties have been atrocious at times.

I wish you would just switch teams and go talk all your misery on some other board. This crap really gets old.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n257040 said:
I think the majority of people here want to completely discredit Muschamp as if he was completely unqualified and as though he knows less about football than they do. While I'm glad that our program has moved on, I do find it ironic that it was used to mock him as if he was ignorant, when he was in fact (wrongly or not) using it to remind the media / public that they don't know as much as he does.
Didn't know as much as he does? HE HAD JUST LOST TO GEORGIA SOUTHERN. The man had enormous gall showing any arrogance at all after the worst loss in the history of the program. He had enormous gall even showing up to the press conference, for that matter. We'll never recover from that day. Ever. They'll be talking about it 100 years from now.

Alvin Dork at head coach should be able to beat FCS teams.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n257107 said:
I wish you would just switch teams and go talk all your misery on some other board. This crap really gets old.
I'm a Gator, not just a person who picked a team to root for because I liked the colors or whatever. Coaches and ADs get "switched."

Misery? Reality. Try it some time. I live in a world of facts. It's pretty easy to assess each position group and come to an opinion as to what is likely to happen.

It's not like I'm out on a limb all by myself. We are underdogs in 7 games and predicted to finish in the bottom 3 of the SEC by basically every analyst and the coaches. ESPN thinks Kintucky is one of our biggest games.

I'm sorry if it offends you that I agree with them. Would it really change anything if I didn't? Surely you are not one of those people who think the analysts are also some of my many minions. It's just me exerting my incredible influence to get them to fall in line?

I wonder how many of you will be sadly disappointed when you don't see double digit wins. The other side of the coin is that I don't expect Mac or anyone can win with what was left.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Law98gator;n257067 said:

images

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Law98gator;n257112 said:
I'm a Gator, not just a person who picked a team to root for because I liked the colors or whatever. Coaches and ADs get "switched."

Misery? Reality. Try it some time. I live in a world of facts. It's pretty easy to assess each position group and come to an opinion as to what is likely to happen.

It's not like I'm out on a limb all by myself. We are underdogs in 7 games and predicted to finish in the bottom 3 of the SEC by basically every analyst and the coaches. ESPN thinks Kintucky is one of our biggest games.

I'm sorry if it offends you that I agree with them. Would it really change anything if I didn't? Surely you are not one of those people who think the analysts are also some of my many minions. It's just me exerting my incredible influence to get them to fall in line?

I wonder how many of you will be sadly disappointed when you don't see double digit wins. The other side of the coin is that I don't expect Mac or anyone can win with what was left.

You WANT this team and its coaches to fail. I have faith they will turn things around. Im not blind to what the analysts are saying yet I have hope they are wrong. There is a difference in realizing we have weaknesses and hoping we overcome and trashing our coaches and players which you do on a regular basis. You arent happy with anything and I assume your life just sucks. Your negativity sucks and it really, really, really gets old.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mehhh... I'm just setting the bar low, because that's what my head says. I'll be the one jumping for joy if we beat UK and UT.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Law98gator;n257151 said:
Mehhh... I'm just setting the bar low, because that's what my head says. I'll be the one jumping for joy if we beat UK and UT.

I would like to see what your "jumping for joy" looks like....I have a feeling winning the NC wouldnt make you do that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator