Arizona Cardinals hire away DC Patrick Toney; Austin Armstrong new DC

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
So, where's the new WR and TE coach? Defense is passe anyway in modern college football. I hate to go here but even Georgia gave up 40+ points to OSU and they had the greatest D ever in history by their account.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
So, where's the new WR and TE coach? Defense is passe anyway in modern college football. I hate to go here but even Georgia gave up 40+ points to OSU and they had the greatest D ever in history by their account.
Everything runs in cycles. IMO, and no one here will agree, but maybe the solution to the "complicated, sophisticated" offense in not to continue making the defenses more and more complicated, but to simplfy and overwhelm the offense AT THE LOS. Or something similar. Not sure of the body types and measurables... but someone is going to find the solution.

I hate these defensive schemes.

WR coach will be interesting. The last guy recruited really well.

TEs... can't one of the two OL coaches do that?
(being facetious)

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Has anyone on this board argued the DC leaving was a bad thing? Or the TE coach?

The WR coach leaving was disappointing because of his recruiting. He had a proven track record of on field coaching too. That one stung.

Toney leaving was a great thing. It wasn't working. Whatever the reasons.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Everything runs in cycles. IMO, and no one here will agree, but maybe the solution to the "complicated, sophisticated" offense in not to continue making the defenses more and more complicated, but to simplfy and overwhelm the offense AT THE LOS. Or something similar. Not sure of the body types and measurables... but someone is going to find the solution.

I hate these defensive schemes.

WR coach will be interesting. The last guy recruited really well.

TEs... can't one of the two OL coaches do that?
(being facetious)
I agree with you. Often you’ve got about 2 seconds to disrupt the QB and you’ve got to have gap discipline to stop the run. Disguising coverages and pressure is much of the game.

And yes, the TEs can work with the OT coach. UM3 had Addazio doing both, and we were pretty creative with the TEs as receivers and runners at the time. Jump pass, shovel pass, pitches. Of course, we had a lot of talent in CI and AHern, but didn’t Tate Casey catch that first jump pass?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Here's a fluff piece on the new DC.

He has at least a couple of redeeming qualities
Q: What's a perfect meal?
A: New York Strip, medium rare.

Q: What's your music?
A: I'm an old soul. I'm 29 going on 59. When you grow up in the South, you are exposed to so much music and culture. I'm an old rock guy. I love Bob Seger, the Rolling Stones. I love all the old Motown stuff. The greatest generation ever is '90s country

Last edited:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I heard Shane Matthews say during the playoffs, “No one can play defense anymore, the way the rules are now.”
He's pissed:

angry cuttino mobley GIF

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
How I learned to stop worrying and love the youth movement.
Maybe Napier's on to something. Our success rate with experienced coaches hasn't been great. You could argue that experienced coaches are hit or miss (mostly miss) throughout the league. So might as well go for a kid that shows promise. At least they're cheaper and you can swap them out every year.

Yeah. Yeah, I'm going with that if only to keep my sanity.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
How I learned to stop worrying and love the youth movement.
Maybe Napier's on to something. Our success rate with experienced coaches hasn't been great. You could argue that experienced coaches are hit or miss (mostly miss) throughout the league. So might as well go for a kid that shows promise. At least they're cheaper and you can swap them out every year.

Yeah. Yeah, I'm going with that if only to keep my sanity.
Cheaper how? Toney was making a mint to suck out loud here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator