Armistice Day is Tomorrow

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
At 11 O'clock, on the 11th Day of the 11th month of 1918, the Armistice that ended the fighting in World War 1 took effect. The soldiers on both sides literally tried to kill each other right up to the very moment of that treaty. Artillery fire registered on earthquake monitors above 2 on the Richter scale at 1059 and dropped to zero at 1100. Such is the nature of war and the consequences for those who do their nations' bidding in wartime; it is terrible and sometimes irreversible. In honor of those men (and lately women) who have served and lived to return, we commemorate tomorrow as Veterans' Day. To those who have gone in Harm's Way and are still with us, remember their sacrifice and thank God that He made such men and women.

BeachGator

Mar 10, 2018
I was fortunate enough to get to visit the USS Arizona four weeks ago. It was as awesome as I expected.
Visited the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial back in 1984. Such a solemn sight and experience. To this day, I still have the eerie feeling of seeing the fuel still leaking, knowing full well that several thousand souls were still in the ship below. I saw a lot of tears flowing that day, both American and Japanese.
Feel blessed to have been able to be there.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Thank you Veterans for your service.

On Monday we buried mom's husband in a touching military service.
He was a good man that loved God, family and country. This was taken from his obituary.

In 1962 he was chosen as an F-106 instructor assigned to the newly forming Combat Crew Training Squadron at Tyndall AFB, Panama City, Florida. where his first mission was not training new pilots, but flying intercepts during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Four years later, he was assigned to Takhli, Thailand, and Nha Trang, Vietnam to fly combat in the F-105 where he was decorated with the Air Medal. In 1968 he returned, and was again assigned to fly intercepts in the F-106, this time to Loring AFB, Maine. In 1969 he was assigned to the Operations Staff of Tyndall AFB back in Panama City, then operations officer in Havre, Montana, then Senior Director, 20th NORAD, in Petersburg, Virginia. and was awarded the Air Force Commendation Medal. This completed 20 years of active military service, and he received an honorable discharge on January 31,1977 at the rank of Major.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Thank you Veterans for your service.

On Monday we buried mom's husband in a touching military service.
He was a good man that loved God, family and country. This was taken from his obituary.

In 1962 he was chosen as an F-106 instructor assigned to the newly forming Combat Crew Training Squadron at Tyndall AFB, Panama City, Florida. where his first mission was not training new pilots, but flying intercepts during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Four years later, he was assigned to Takhli, Thailand, and Nha Trang, Vietnam to fly combat in the F-105 where he was decorated with the Air Medal. In 1968 he returned, and was again assigned to fly intercepts in the F-106, this time to Loring AFB, Maine. In 1969 he was assigned to the Operations Staff of Tyndall AFB back in Panama City, then operations officer in Havre, Montana, then Senior Director, 20th NORAD, in Petersburg, Virginia. and was awarded the Air Force Commendation Medal. This completed 20 years of active military service, and he received an honorable discharge on January 31,1977 at the rank of Major.
How long was he and your mom married? And, did you consider him to be your step-father or just your mom's husband?

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Visited the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial back in 1984. Such a solemn sight and experience. To this day, I still have the eerie feeling of seeing the fuel still leaking, knowing full well that several thousand souls were still in the ship below. I saw a lot of tears flowing that day, both American and Japanese.
Feel blessed to have been able to be there.
In 1970 I stood on the Memorial platform that straddles the Arizona and thought of the souls entombed within that colossal wreck. The oil seeping up reflected colors as it hit the suface and dissipated, and I wondered—28 years after she went down—that there was still oil enough remaining in 1970 to find its way to the suface. They tell me it leaks out still, after 82 years.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
In 1970 I stood on the Memorial platform that straddles the Arizona and thought of the souls entombed within that colossal wreck. The oil seeping up reflected colors as it hit the suface and dissipated, and I wondered—28 years after she went down—that there was still oil enough remaining in 1970 to find its way to the suface. They tell me it leaks out still, after 82 years.
I can confirm that the oil is still a visible presence coming up from the Arizona. It also has a fairly strong odor too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator