Atlanta Falcons choose Raheem Morris; Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Allegedly Blank was going to talk it over with Rich McKay, who is a smart guy. But this is a real head shaker. Morris is probably the 33rd option in my mind. He's gone in a few.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Falcons didn't interview Belichick.

He interviewed them. Same with Harbaugh.

Perhaps a popular school of thought although I'm not convinced that's how it played out. The Falcons are a good fit for what Belichick sought. It appears there were concerns about how much power he sought and how much McKay was willing to cede, along with of course his age. Blank wanted him.

But Raheem? Good grief. :lol:

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps a popular school of thought although I'm not convinced that's how it played out. The Falcons are a good fit for what Belichick sought. It appears there were concerns about how much power he sought and how much McKay was willing to cede. Blank wanted him.

Atlanta is no better off than New England. They have no QB.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Atlanta is no better off than New England. They have no QB.

But they've got #8, which is plenty of striking power. They can get Fields and a draft pick for that.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps a popular school of thought although I'm not convinced that's how it played out. The Falcons are a good fit for what Belichick sought. It appears there were concerns about how much power he sought and how much McKay was willing to cede, along with of course his age. Blank wanted him.

That’s my thought as well. It’s not that they didn’t go with Belichick. It’s that they went with Morris over Belichick. It has to be one of the worst hiring decisions in history of the NFL.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That’s my thought as well. It’s not that they didn’t go with Belichick. It’s that they went with Morris over Belichick. It has to be one of the worst hiring decisions in history of the NFL.

Not to mention it just seems so randomly off the wall to immediately default to Raheem Morris after Bill Belichick, as if that's the natural progression. I feel like I'm watching an SNL skit.

cartman302

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2017
Not to mention it just seems so randomly off the wall to immediately default to Raheem Morris after Bill Belichick, as if that's the natural progression. I feel like I'm watching an SNL skit.
The Falcons HC search was aggravatingly reminiscent of the Jeremy Foley Embarrassment Tour in 2001 when he was flying around hither and yon advertising that he wanted to hire Stoops to replace Spurrier. He made a colossal ass of himself and the only thing he accomplished was giving the Sooners time to react and keep Big Game Bob. We looked like a joke when he pulled Zook out of his ass.

I think at last count the Blank and Co. had interviewed 13 candidates at least once......and the best they could do was Morris? Seemingly every day was another ridiculous announcement of whoever else they were going to interview.

Terrible.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Falcons HC search was aggravatingly reminiscent of the Jeremy Foley Embarrassment Tour in 2001 when he was flying around hither and yon advertising that he wanted to hire Stoops to replace Spurrier. He made a colossal ass of himself and the only thing he accomplished was giving the Sooners time to react and keep Big Game Bob. We looked like a joke when he pulled Zook out of his ass.

I think at last count the Blank and Co. had interviewed 13 candidates at least once......and the best they could do was Morris? Seemingly every day was another ridiculous announcement of whoever else they were going to interview.

Terrible.

With Blank I can understand. He's the classic meddling ignoramus owner. But McKay? He built the Tampa Bay Bucs team that won XXXVII from the ground up through the draft. He's well respected around the league.

I can hear his dad now. Execution? I'm all for it.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Belicheck wants complete control over the org. GM authority as well as HC. He's a great HC but horrible GM. Noone should ever agree to him doing both.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The word is out from the very top of the NFL. They went with Morris because he’s black and didn’t want to hire the old white man who wanted complete control. How many black HCs are they up to now?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Diversity hire?

Raheem was brought in before the 2002 season by McKay to serve as a defensive quality control coach under new Bucs head coach Jon Gruden. He and McKay go a long way back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator