Recruiting Auburn set to open brand new $28 million "recruiting center"

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Florida releases 2017-18 athletic budget
GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The board for Florida’s University Athletic Association approved a record $128,228,987 budget for the 2017-18 fiscal year, up more than $5.5 million from the previous year.

That includes $33.15 million in revenue from the SEC for the past year.

The Gators will receive a one-time $6 million guarantee for playing Michigan in the 2017 AdvoCare Classic at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, to open the football season, with that money going straight to the football program.

Florida also received additional royalty revenue of about $1.7 million from its Fox/IMG sponsorship from the 2016-17 year that is not included in that $128 million budget.

Among the new expenditures is the addition of a 3D arena projection system ($350,000), which was rented out for the Gators’ home basketball game with Kentucky, and LED ribbon boards and additional scoreboards in the end zones of the football stadium.

Florida’s operating expenses are broken down as follows: sports ($25,053,153), scholarships ($14,029,629), support services ($7,472,450), administrative services ($17,830,888), auxiliaries ($868,750), capital projects ($750,000), salaries and fringe benefits ($48,003,976), OPS and temporary personnel ($2,347,279) and University of Florida support ($716, 347). The 2017-18 budget lists $9,465,800 in debt service.

The largest increases were in the categories of sports ($1,859,951), administrative services ($1,183,548) and salaries and fringe benefits ($2,848,410).

According to Gator Country, $82.5 million of that budget is allocated for football and “football related expenses,” with $13.48 million for basketball and $3.19 million for the Gators’ other sports.

The 2016-17 athletics operating budget was $122,635,858.

Obviously the more you get the more you have to play with and the more you can decide what to spend it on. Coaching changes cost money, not just because of buyouts but it seems to there was like $1,000,000 in moving costs. New scoreboards for the diving team. Crap like that. You have to decide where your priorities lie.
But a winning football team can really increase those revenues. Playoff appearances, bigger bowl payouts and merchandise really can bulge the coffers.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So much for the screencap. Anyway, it was 13m for 2016-17. To simply say we make 140m a year is ludicrous.
Total bullshyt.

Im talking about revenue.

I dont give a rats ass on how much the spend on gymnastics and softball and all the other things we spend football revenue on.

They are also fvkking with the numbers. They can try to pretend that gymnastics sells tshirts and merchandise if you want but everyone knows that football sells 90%.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Total bullshyt.

Im talking about revenue.

I dont give a rats ass on how much the spend on gymnastics and softball.

Theynare also fvkking with the numbers. They can try to pretend that gymnastics sells tshirts and merchandise if you want but everyone knows that football sells 90%.
GE shareholders said bullshyt when the take-home from 121b in revenue went from green in 2016 to red in 2017.

If you're gonna throw numbers around, use the net, not the gross.

BTW, Georgia spends even less of its football revenue than we do, 29 cents on the dollar to our 31. They're behind in facilities, too.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Football revenue would be after football expenses, not the others. The cost of paying 50 ex coaches is high;)

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Bottom line is that we make a ****load of money and how we spend it is largely discretionary. More could be funneled to football if that was the priority.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's problematic given our culture and tradition of being a school of all-sports excellence.

The obvious target area is nonoperating expenses, a huge chunk of which is an annual check to the UF Foundation. The 2017 amount was 19.2m. You add that to the existing expense figure and we're even with Alabama.

I'm not at all familiar with the rules of the road here. Are we obligated by charter or some other means to pay that much to the foundation? We're allowed to carry over a surplus and maintain our status as a non-profit.

ffc544fefc287d382d987dc48ff0919c.jpg

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Don't know if we're obligated or not but in the big scheme of things let's say we are. That still leaves $130M to do with as we wish.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Don't know if we're obligated or not but in the big scheme of things let's say we are. That still leaves $130M to do with as we wish.
C'mon man, you run a business. You can't just totally reshuffle the deck without upsetting the apple cart. You've got big pieces of that pie for salaries, wages, benefits, direct team expenses.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting tidbit from the 2016-17 financial statement.

36095bb886b5b7a3475549e7659d96b4.jpg

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
C'mon man, you run a business. You can't just totally reshuffle the deck without upsetting the apple cart. You've got big pieces of that pie for salaries, wages, benefits, direct team expenses.
Of course you can.
I do run a business. And I only put money into profit centers that give me the best ROI. The better the ROI the more investment. The stuff that's required by law gets the minimum.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Of course you can.
I do run a business. And I only put money into profit centers that give me the best ROI. The better the ROI the more investment. The stuff that's required by law gets the minimum.
I was looking for a more practical answer given the fact we're not dealing with a corporation but rather a public university. Yes, theoretically, you could try reinventing the wheel. Good luck getting that through the administrative hoops.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I was looking for a more practical answer given the fact we're not dealing with a corporation but rather a public university. Yes, theoretically, you could try reinventing the wheel. Good luck getting that through the administrative hoops.

I'm really not sure what you're trying to argue: that you're in line w/ Foley and the UAA's "not getting into an arms race", you're cool with our facilities being among the worst in the SEC, you don't think we make enough money to spend on upgrades? WTF are you even talking about? If Alabama, Auburn, Missouri, FSU, Kentucky, Miami, UGA, UCF, Clemson, Arkansas, Texas A&M, etc can afford to do it we DAMN sure can as well. Seriously, WTF are you talking about? You're actually defending the state we're in???

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm really not sure what you're trying to argue: that you're in line w/ Foley and the UAA's "not getting into an arms race", you're cool with our facilities being among the worst in the SEC, you don't think we make enough money to spend on upgrades? WTF are you even talking about? If Alabama, Auburn, Missouri, FSU, Kentucky, Miami, UGA, UCF, Clemson, Arkansas, Texas A&M, etc can afford to do it we DAMN sure can as well. Seriously, WTF are you talking about? You're actually defending the state we're in???
Don't be dense. I'm looking at the situation from a practical point of view and looking for a solution to bringing MORE money to football. Duh. You apparently absorbed very little of what I said.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Don't be dense. I'm looking at the situation from a practical point of view and looking for a solution to bringing MORE money to football. Duh. You apparently absorbed very little of what I said.
It's not reinventing the wheel it's writing a budget.

You bring in more money FROM football by winning.
You bring more money to football by writing a check to them and not to basket-weaving.
Winning generally requires expensive coaching staffs, a large staff of recruiting "analysts", competitive facilities and whatever else the hell football wants. In the mean time you spend less on, oh IDK let's say swimming scoreboards. The all-in-one is way behind, the money is there but 1/3rd of it's going to baseball/softball. F'ing baseball can play in HS parks for a year for all I care. Teams make alternate arrangements all the time when building new stadiums. Then they can have their nice shiny new empty stadium. Bulldoze the place and start on the all-in-ine now and spare no expense. While you're at it start raising money for a "recruiting center" and find a place to put it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's not reinventing the wheel it's writing a budget.

You bring in more money FROM football by winning.
You bring more money to football by writing a check to them and not to basket-weaving.
Winning generally requires expensive coaching staffs, a large staff of recruiting "analysts", competitive facilities and whatever else the hell football wants. In the mean time you spend less on, oh IDK let's say swimming scoreboards. The all-in-one is way behind, the money is there but 1/3rd of it's going to baseball/softball. F'ing baseball can play in HS parks for a year for all I care. Teams make alternate arrangements all the time when building new stadiums. Then they can have their nice shiny new empty stadium. Bulldoze the place and start on the all-in-ine now and spare no expense. While you're at it start raising money for a "recruiting center" and find a place to put it.
How much are you looking to redirect? Give me an approximate dollar figure.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Lots of emotions in here.
Look, we’re in a hole that took a loooong time to dig. It’s gonna take some time to fill it back up. Not excusing anything, but suggesting having the baseball team play in Mrs. Pitts back yard isn’t realistic and is purely emotional from the frustration of the current situation. We’re years away from a level playing field in regards to facilities.
Accept it and be thankful we’re finally doing something about it is my best advice.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting discussion with obvious parallels to the political landscape. Basketball, golf, tennis, softball, swimming, diving, et al seen as the welfare state.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't like losing the arms race. But I'm not sure we should be in it. In the next decade some of the obscene TV contracts are going to start drying up. Cable will struggle. ESPN and their ilk will struggle, and oops those schools with big fat debt will be left holding the bag.

I honestly don't know how much trouble (long term) TV revenue is in. But if it is, schools better be looking hard at long term obligations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.