Auburn to the east?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Bama would never sign off on losing the Tennessee game. Never. And if they aren't signing off on it, it's not happening. But yes, a 9-game conference schedule would solve all the problems, including the idiotic 11-12 years it takes to get a return trip out of an opponent and the fact that 5-year seniors will still not play every SEC team in their career under the current schedule format.

Edit: Case in point. Freshmen this year and next year will never play Arkansas unless we meet them in Atlanta. That's fundamentally wrong.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Bama would never sign off on losing the Tennessee game. Never. And if they aren't signing off on it, it's not happening. But yes, a 9-game conference schedule would solve all the problems, including the idiotic 11-12 years it takes to get a return trip out of an opponent and the fact that 5-year seniors will still not play every SEC team in their career under the current schedule format.

Agree....and that is why I think this happens as soon as we go to 9 games....which, Alabama (i.e. Nick Saban) has already signed off on. Honestly, I'm not sure what the SEC is waiting for (on going to 9 games). Commissioner Saban made it clear this is what he wanted 3 or 4 years ago.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Years between road trips to SECW teams for UF:

MSU: 9 years (09-18)
Auburn: 13 years (11-24)
Ole Miss: 13 years (07-20)
TAMU: 10 years (12-22)

And we don't currently have return road trips to Arkansas or Bama scheduled in advance, which the future schedule goes forward to 2025.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
UGA would still play Auburn every year, but their new permanent Western rival would be Missouri. Woof. :kiffin:

They would be downgrading perma opponent... Because either Tennessee or UGA is getting Missouri or TA&M. Which benefits neither.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If they did make the change without going to 9 conference games, then the new annual match-ups will probably be Tenn vs Arkansas and UGA vs Missouri with the other games staying as is.

I personally have no issue with the change. I think it makes sense geographically, but I agree that it's probably not going to happen.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If they did make the change without going to 9 conference games, then the new annual match-ups will probably be Tenn vs Arkansas and UGA vs Missouri with the other games staying as is.

I personally have no issue with the change. I think it makes sense geographically, but I agree that it's probably not going to happen.

Do you think either Tennessee or UGA is going to want to trade the money that comes in with Bama and the Barn, for Arkansas and Missouri?

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
With the College Football Playoff system I think we should drop the most recent additions to the SEC: Mizzou, USC, A&M, Arky, and play a nine game conference schedule. Winner takes all. I expect the CFP to expand to six, maybe eight teams. With that happening, what's the point in a conference playoff?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree, but the better plan is the team w/ the best Division record wins the Division. That way you won't have LSU b*tching that they have to play us every year, for example. If you go 6-0 in the Division you should win the Division....or even if you have the best Division record.
I'd be good with that as well, but the way the divisions are now, where you have to have the best record overall is illogical when each division team plays different west opponents. Anything would be better than how it is now.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
With the College Football Playoff system I think we should drop the most recent additions to the SEC: Mizzou, USC, A&M, Arky, and play a nine game conference schedule. Winner takes all. I expect the CFP to expand to six, maybe eight teams. With that happening, what's the point in a conference playoff?

Money. It's an extra game.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'd be good with that as well, but the way the divisions are now, where you have to have the best record overall is illogical when each division team plays different west opponents. Anything would be better than how it is now.

Absolutely agree. I think we lost the East one year under Zook but had the best Division record.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Years between road trips to SECW teams for UF:

MSU: 9 years (09-18)
Auburn: 13 years (11-24)
Ole Miss: 13 years (07-20)
TAMU: 10 years (12-22)

And we don't currently have return road trips to Arkansas or Bama scheduled in advance, which the future schedule goes forward to 2025.
I assume the players would hope to never roadtrip to M'ssippi or Trailerbammer, but maybe that's just me projecting.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Auburn's closest rivals were always in the east, UF/Georgia/Tennessee, but since the elephant run this conference they won't give up that auto win over the vols.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
It makes the most sense to me, but how long did it take to get the Braves out of the NL West? And the Cowboys are still in the NFC East.

Auburn would become Bama's permanent opponent. No-brainer. UGA & AU retain their longest rivalry.

Ut & UGA would have to line up with Mizzou & aTm - and whoever gets Mizzou gets off easiest. Neither has any history or is a natural rival.

And yes, it would balance the conference a bit better as it stands now. But over the long haul UF & UGA should bounce back.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
how long did it take to get the Braves out of the NL .
Far to long and same for when the falcons and panthers were in the west. Would still be there in both if not for realignment and expansion.

Which brings me to the point on Auburn is that you can't keep expanding with a limited number of games without having to give up traditions. I kinda miss playing auburn yearly and all the other like Ole miss/Uga and such but would rather them just do away with it and rotate them constantly. Go to the 9 game schedule and rotate 3 yearly. That way it's even for everyone

With our luck though they will ship vandy and Missouri west for both Alabama and auburn and give vandy to Tennessee as their rival.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.