Austin Appleby article: Parting Thoughts

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
(not going to cut and paste the whole article, pretty good stuff....but one comment stood out):

Parting Thoughts I: Appleby reflects on 2016 season with Gators

https://florida.rivals.com/news/parting-thoughts-i-appleby-reflects-on-2016-season-with-gators

ITG: Taking a look back at your season in Gainesville, do you feel transferring to Florida was the right decision for yourself?

Appleby: Absolutely, and it’s on a number of different levels. I got my degree at Purdue and sitting back with everything that had transpired in my great four years there, I soon told my family what I decided. I know what kind of player I am, I know how good I am, I know the kind of work I’ve put in. I really want to go put all the chips in when I was going through the transfer process and had all of the options of where I was going to go. I could go to a number of different teams and be guaranteed starting – they already gave me the keys to the car. I can go play my 12 games and win a bowl game and be really great.

But, what I was looking for was I want to go play with the very best against the very best, and be coached by the very best, and go compete for a championship. Nothing was ever promised here at Florida. Coach Mac gave me nothing more than an opportunity to compete and earn the respect of my teammates and come help this football team in any way that I have to do so.

I took a gamble on myself, and I am 100% proud of the decision that I made. Getting the chance to be half done with my master’s degree in sports management here is unbelievable. My teammates, these guys that I've met and only known for about a year, are my best friends in the world. The relationships I’ve built these guys are absolutely second to none. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Then from a football standpoint, it didn’t necessarily start the way that I had intended. They had their mind up from the very, very early point that they were going to start Luke. I don’t know how much of a competition it really was, being candid. But again, it’s about me trusting my preparation and my process, earning the respect of my teammates and knowing that the cream rises to the top and when I was going to get my opportunity, I was going to make the most of it.

That opportunity came, and I really feel like I seized it. I ultimately led us to Atlanta and have a chance to play for a championship and capped it off with a bowl win. So looking back, it was one heck of a year.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let me know when a QB that is actually worth a schit says that :thumbup:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
And the question is, are they going to do the same with Zaire and Franks? I want those 2 to battle it out rather than one of them being handed the job. I shouldn't count out LDR with the way the staff loves him, but I can't fathom him getting a chance to start again.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They had their mind up from the very, very early point that they were going to start Luke.
Well, to be fair, AA didnt even know the playbook. I suspect that they were (and are) going to play LDR regardless, and I recognize that giving AA first team reps would have allowed him to pick up the book faster. However, he got to finish his career as the starting QB for UF.

He didnt look great at QB but no QB has ever looked good in Nusschump's offense. Not sure why we have AA hate here. If he had another year of eligibility he'd probably still be the most talented quarterback on the staff. I guess some wish to project the offensive crap to someone than the dude he gets paid big bux to fix it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
#LDRisyourQB

Mac might not have enough faith in Franks to start him the 1st game against Michigan and Zaire might not pick things up enough in 3 weeks of practice. That will be a sight to behold.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I could be more articulate by calling our ex-QB Shyte and using masturbatory emojis, but you already mastered that literary genre.
Or you could just articulate in general rather than just disliking a post and running off.

Face it, Appleby is not a good QB...neither is LDR.
There is a reason they were for LDR ahead of Appleby. While Appleby has a stronger arm, he had virtually no grasp of the playbook, furthermore he IS a turnover machine, that was a known for Appleby prior to the season, and an unknown for LDR prior to the season. These were our two options, and they both sucked. Sorry some of your aren't willing to admit that.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I never thought that saying Appleby was a bad QB would be such a negative thing to say for the dumpers :bwahaha:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I never thought that saying Appleby was a bad QB would be such a negative thing to say for the dumpers :bwahaha:

He was the only bright spot of our shyt offense. You just don't like that he said LDR was predetermined as a starter.

You'll see on opening day. :suspect2:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He was the only bright spot of our shyt offense. You just don't like that he said LDR was predetermined as a starter.

You'll see on opening day. :suspect2:
No, LDR and Appleby were our ONLY options last year.
Appleby is not a good QB...has never been a good QB. His stats are abysmal. In 19 games across 3 seasons that he played significant time or started, only 4 has he thrown more than 200 yards and not thrown an INT, and many of those were multiple INT's. In no game for Florida did he throw for more than 200 yards and not have an INT. NONE!
Appleby has decent arm strength, but lacks in accuracy, and initially lacked in playbook knowledge, and had a proven history as a turn over machine.
LDR has weaker arm strength, was marginally more accurate, but knew the playbook better than Appleby...the only other legitimate option at the beginning of the 2016 season.

Appleby was schit. LDR is schit. Disliking my posts for stating what should be obvious to anyone with a brain says a lot about your allegiances :whistle:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No, LDR and Appleby were our ONLY options last year.
Appleby is not a good QB...has never been a good QB. His stats are abysmal. In 19 games across 3 seasons that he played significant time or started, only 4 has he thrown more than 200 yards and not thrown an INT, and many of those were multiple INT's. In no game for Florida did he throw for more than 200 yards and not have an INT. NONE!
Appleby has decent arm strength, but lacks in accuracy, and initially lacked in playbook knowledge, and had a proven history as a turn over machine.
LDR has weaker arm strength, was marginally more accurate, but knew the playbook better than Appleby...the only other legitimate option at the beginning of the 2016 season.

Appleby was schit. LDR is schit. Disliking my posts for stating what should be obvious to anyone with a brain says a lot about your allegiances :whistle:

And what allegiances are those?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And what allegiances are those?

The "let's throw out the dumbest ideas and state them as fact because I hate this coaching staff" allegiances ;)

I see you are no longer debating Appleby as being anything other than a bad QB :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.