Basketball: Florida Gators vs Eckerd College (Exhibition)

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Shake some bugs out game....don't panic, yet.......

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gators WIN 91-63!! Whew that was a close one!! Cancel the panic party. Looks like we go undefeated now. Go Gators!!

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Here is a quick recap I put together.

Recap: Florida- 91 Eckerd College- 63

1st Half: The Florida Gators came out slow and tentative. 3 point shots were missing the mark, dunks clanged off the rim, offensive goal tending took points off the board, and the defense was slow to react and gave up too many fast break points to Eckerd. The Gators were playing a press man to man defense but rarely looked to cause havoc on defense. It was more of a run the clock press. It did its job, but the Gators just couldn't make consecutive stops for much of the half. On the offensive end everything went wrong. Turnovers were rampant lead by Egbunu's 4. To go along with the turnover barrage, the offense looked exactly like it did last season. Missing open shots, bricking 3 pointers and missing one and ones (3 in a row at one point). The bad shooting added to the fact that Egbunu and Hayes were in early foul trouble and spent most of the half on the bench, culminated in a 1 point halftime deficit. What appeared to a major problem that needs to find a solution quick (a healthy Kasey Hill) was that the offense seemed bogged down and mostly playing half court offense instead of the fast pace, run and gun that most of us expected.

1st Half Grade: D

2nd Half: The offense was unleashed. Following another slow start to the half the full court defense turned on the jets and the rest was history. With a flury of steals and easy baskets the Gators took the lead and didnt look back. The offense made a more concentrated effort to drive to the basket and get easy baskets. It worked perfectly. By the end of the game everyone contributed in some fashion or another. The defense really fueled the offense and that might be a key to this team going forward. Allen was a beast in the press collecting 6 steals. Also in the second half, Egbunu stayed out of foul trouble and was the monster inside we all love to see, ending with 18 pts and 13 rebounds. Overall, it was a group effort with Robinson (12 pts), Allen (13 pts), Chiozza (11 pts), Leon (11 pts), and Barry (11 pts) all scoring in double figures. Barry started a little slow but in the end he showed that he has a complete game and will be much needed help in all areas (both offensively and defensively). The team just looks different when they play with passion and energy. The Gators will thrive this year as a fast break, run and gun team.

2nd Half Grade: A

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Thanks for keeping us informed, Lee! And I agree. We got to give teams 60 minutes of hell and spread the ball around.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Didn't we have a football player transfer to Eckerd to play basketball?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Ok since we could not see the game how about a few things from the box score:

1. Good small sample FT shooting. The key was Leon going 6 for 6. If he goes his usual 2 for 6 from last year then that 76% shooting falls to 62%. Allen was right on his average. Barry was excellent as expected. Robinson made his one and he is a good FT shooter. Chiozza, Egbunu, Hayes and Stone were a collective 4 of 9. Particularly of concern is Chiozza and Egbunu who need to be able to play late in games when UF has a lead.

2. Outside shooting may again be a concern. UF was 27 of 49 inside the arc, but only 5 of 18 outside the are.

3. UF forced 24 turnovers. Against this competition I will not get too excite, but 24 is a lot of turnovers to force.

4. Chiozza took care of the ball with just 2 turnovers in 31 minutes. The bigs had too many turnovers as UF had 14 in total.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Come on man, we're talking about practice...... practice...

:bart:

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We're gonna have the same issues as last year and our home games are cut in half. I seriously doubt we make the tourney unless we learn how to slow games down and grind em out.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Caught shoplifting a pack of baseball cards from that drugstore. Pretty good ass-whooping came after that.

That's great ... you got an Ernie Banks for '57 when he hit 44 home runs?
I was caught before I could get that one.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Was the first half bad primarily due to the Egbunu and Hayes foul trouble causing mixed lineups?

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Was the first half bad primarily due to the Egbunu and Hayes foul trouble causing mixed lineups?
The mixed lineups were happening regardless, what really hurt was not having a backup pg. So when Chiozza went out no one could run the offense well.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
I think it's about 2 weeks until basketball season. HURRRAYYYY! I'm always ready for a break from football these days with our unentertaining (don't think thats a real word) football performances.

Unfortunately, the basketball teams game against Eckerd was not on tv or radio so all I really got to see were some stats. I wasn't thrilled to see that we were down 1 to Eckerd in the first half, even though we did end up blowing them out 91-63.

One of the big improvements I wanted to see this year was the 3 point shooting. We went what was pretty typical for us last year, 5-18, 28%. I know it's just one game, but once Kasey Hill gets put back into the lineup I don't expect that percentage to get a lot of help. So at this point it is a concern for me. Free throws were better, around 75% as a team thanks to mostly Barry and Leon who went a combined 13-14.

The weird thing is that I really don't think we take bad three point shots. I think last year, our team was very good at passing and finding the open man, but then the open man would miss that wide open shot. Anyway, fingers crossed that this was just a fluke. If it'snot a fluke then I anticipate another struggle to get into tournament contention. Hope everyone's week is going well so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.