Battle of the sexes? Brittney Griner wants to play DeMarcus Cousins 1-on-1

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Griner would pull out her schlong, and the sight would stun Cousins long enough for him to lose focus.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the only women that could beat male contemporaries in their sport are possibly the Williams sisters. And they wouldn't beat the elite players like Nadal or Sampras. But I think they would be able to beat some of the mail pros on the circuit.

Griner would get demolished.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know whether other teams do this but the UConn women practice against a male team of former high school basketball players...all of whom are fellow UConn students. Sometimes the women win...sometimes they don't. When they first started this practice in 1994, the starting UConn guards couldn't even get the ball across mid-court. Some years UConn's only losses would be to this boys team of good high school players of less than Div. I talent. Can't imagine Griner living through a match-up against Cousins. Laughable really.

This was really interesting. So I actually had to look it up. It looks like it started with Uconn but a lot of other teams do it now. They are told that they cannot do certain things in practice like dunk.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2004/03/0...e-men-lots-of-guts-but-little-glory.html?_r=0

Here's an article from 1997 when they first implemented the process.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/02/20/s...-uconn-s-no-1-basketball-team-get-better.html

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It looks like the WNBA stocks their practice squads with former male college practice squad players and current high school male basketball players. So basically scrubs. Which makes the entire idea even more ludicrous.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It looks like the WNBA stocks their practice squads with former male college practice squad players and current high school male basketball players. So basically scrubs. Which makes the entire idea even more ludicrous.

And on off days when they have free-range pick-up games the women are the last ones picked.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
This was really interesting. So I actually had to look it up. It looks like it started with Uconn but a lot of other teams do it now. They are told that they cannot do certain things in practice like dunk.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2004/03/0...e-men-lots-of-guts-but-little-glory.html?_r=0

Here's an article from 1997 when they first implemented the process.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/02/20/s...-uconn-s-no-1-basketball-team-get-better.html

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...VXIioQ7M-_djoEV9g&sig2=wyU8pjJgUast0cXRph24FA

A quote from The New Haven Register:

"The concept of using former high school boys' players enrolled at the school to push the powerhouse women's team was an idea hatched in the 1994-95 season, when starting point guard Jen Rizzotti asked if her future husband, a fellow UConn student, could take part in practice with some of his friends.Auriemma, always looking for ways to challenge his players, loved the idea. His eyes still glisten with delight when he tells the story of how Rizzotti and Pam Webber couldn't get the ball over midcourt."

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think the only women that could beat male contemporaries in their sport are possibly the Williams sisters. And they wouldn't beat the elite players like Nadal or Sampras. But I think they would be able to beat some of the mail pros on the circuit.
:lmao2:

I guess you never saw this.

https://www.theguardian.com/observer/osm/story/0,,543962,00.html

Women tennis players, even the best in the world, have no chance against male pros. Completely different ballgame.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2:

I guess you never saw this.

Women tennis players, even the best in the world, have no chance against male pros. Completely different ballgame.

That's a dead link. I'm just saying if there's a sport that could have equitable pros it's tennis. The Williams both have powerful serves. Just as powerful as some of the lesser males in the pro circuit. I think it's possible. Again, obviously not against the top guys.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
J, I clicked on it and read it. Is it a dead-link because that guy has lied or is it from The Onion ?
Think back when Women's tennis was complaining about getting so much less prize $ than men.
I never saw anyone come to the defense of men's pay, contrasting the extra # of hours' work men
did in the broiling sun. Plus the extra excitement/fan interest generated by the obvious power and
lightening speed of the men's game. ??

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
J, I clicked on it and read it. Is it a dead-link because that guy has lied or is it from The Onion ?
Think back when Women's tennis was complaining about getting so much less prize $ than men.
I never saw anyone come to the defense of men's pay, contrasting the extra # of hours' work men
did in the broiling sun. Plus the extra excitement/fan interest generated by the obvious power and
lightening speed of the men's game. ??

Rog, maybe I'm the exception but I much rather watch women's tennis than mens. Why? They play at a pace where you can study their technique; the talent is widely distributed and not concentrated in 3 or 4 players (Serena excepted), and many look like supermodels prancing around in tiny skirts flashing their panties and bouncing their boobs.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That's a dead link. I'm just saying if there's a sport that could have equitable pros it's tennis. The Williams both have powerful serves. Just as powerful as some of the lesser males in the pro circuit. I think it's possible. Again, obviously not against the top guys.
Is this a dead link?

In 1998, a man ranked 203 in the world whipped one Williams sister 6-1, and the other one immediately following at 6-2. Their serves cannot compare to any pro male tennis player - they just don't have the same physical strength for serves and returns, even a couple of manly chicks like the Williams sisters. From the article:
Both sisters are great tennis players and hit the ball extremely well. However, if you've been playing on the men's tour there are certain shots you can play that are going to put them in difficulty. Try and put a lot spin on the ball - I was hitting the ball with a degree of spin they don't face week-in, week-out. Another key is to chase down every shot. In our match, they were putting shots into the corners that on the women's tour would be winners but I was able to return them.
This isn't a slap at women....I think they are the bees knees. It's just reality.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is this a dead link?

In 1998, a man ranked 203 in the world whipped one Williams sister 6-1, and the other one immediately following at 6-2. Their serves cannot compare to any pro male tennis player - they just don't have the same physical strength for serves and returns, even a couple of manly chicks like the Williams sisters. From the article:

This isn't a slap at women....I think they are the bees knees. It's just reality.

I can't read that article. Maybe you're a paying member of the guardian?

Here's an article that compares serves between men and women.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sport...e_explains_why_female_tennis_players_can.html

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I can't read that article. Maybe you're a paying member of the guardian?

Here's an article that compares serves between men and women.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sport...e_explains_why_female_tennis_players_can.html
J, you know you're my favorite poster, but female tennis players have absolutely no chance against men. It would be an embarrassing blowout, just as bad as a WNBA player against an NBA player.

Here's the whole damn article:
It was the 1998 Australian Open and the Williams sisters, Venus and Serena, had seen some of the male players practising. On the basis of what they saw, they were convinced that they could beat a man ranked around 200 in the world and wanted to set up a game. At the time I was ranked 203 so the men's tour manager mentioned the possibility of a challenge to me, thinking that I was the perfect candidate. I didn't take much persuading, it seemed like a fun thing to do.

My advice if you're ever in a position to play a match of this nature is be patient - don't be annoyed or surprised if your match against the Williams sisters is cancelled, as they both have very busy schedules. My game against them had to be re-organised at least a couple of times.

Preparation is crucial. Remember that a game like this is light-hearted - taking it too seriously would be a mistake. My training regime consisted of a leisurely round of golf in the morning followed by a couple of shandies. I turned up on court feeling suitably laid-back.

My first game of the afternoon, just a one-set match, was against Serena. A hint: try and play your match somewhere quiet, where you're not going to be pestered by big crowds or lots of press - we were out on one of the back courts at Melbourne Park, No 17 I think it was. I felt so relaxed that I didn't even warm up properly. We started playing and I raced into a 5-0 lead.

At this point Venus turned up to watch. She had just finished a press conference after a quarter-final loss against Lindsey Davenport. In the end I won my game against Serena 6-1 but by the time we were at the net shaking hands, Venus was on court, ready to have a go against me as well. The game against Venus was very similar. I ended up winning 6-2.

Both sisters are great tennis players and hit the ball extremely well. However, if you've been playing on the men's tour there are certain shots you can play that are going to put them in difficulty. Try and put a lot spin on the ball - I was hitting the ball with a degree of spin they don't face week-in, week-out. Another key is to chase down every shot. In our match, they were putting shots into the corners that on the women's tour would be winners but I was able to return them.

In the end I won, but neither myself, nor Venus or Serena took the game too seriously - we were just having a bit of fun.

Apparently, after the game, Serena and Venus immediately told the press they wanted to challenge a male player again. This time they revised the ranking of the man they wanted to face, to 350 in the world. I informed the journalist who told me this that in the next week I was set to lose a lot of ATP points and drop down to 350 in the rankings. I told him that if Venus and Serena waited just one week they could challenge me all over again!

That never came about, but when I saw Venus a few months later at the French Open she came up to me with a big smile on her face and said, 'You know that thing in Australia - it never happened!'

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
J, you know you're my favorite poster, but female tennis players have absolutely no chance against men. It would be an embarrassing blowout, just as bad as a WNBA player against an NBA player.

Here's the whole damn article:

That's hilarious. I was wrong about this one.

There's a bit more challenges that happened in tennis. The idea of Andy Murray playing Serena was floated but Serena said she wouldn't even win a point. It says that the guy from your article smoked a pack a day.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis)

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah the only sports women could equally compete with and beat men are ones that don't involve as much strength, or ones that involve repetitive action. So like bowling, archery, darts, auto racing, etc. Not a knock on women at all, it's just genetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.