Berns Steakhouse Restaurant, Tampa

Jun 2, 2015
My son and daughter-in-law took me to dinner on Thanksgiving day @ Berns. Wow. The dessert room upstairs is unusual and the desserts are decadent. We had a bottle of wine from 1971 which was really good. Also took a tour of the kitchen and wine cellar. There were 4 middle-aged men at a table near ours and they had flown down from Vancouver (one of them owned the plane) just to eat and drink wine @ Berns. Must be nice. I could learn to live like that!

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My brother gifted me with a gift certificate last year for house/pet sitting so Sas and I went last fall. The first visit for both of us and we definitely enjoyed. Took advantage of the tour and dessert room as well. Definitely a must do. Some may say it's overrated but I think it's somewhere everyone should go at least once if presented with the opportunity.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
Heard good things but never been. Guy I work with goes a few times a year, he's above my paygrade though. Be dropped my level cash for prime and wagyu and it's been awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Wife and I went there while dating and as SQ indicates "everyone should go at least once if presented with the opportunity." That was easily 15-18 yrs ago and we still talk about someday going back. Expensive, yes. Worth it for that special dinner once in a (great) while, absolutely.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The most absurd wine collection anywhere, and fantastic food. Dynamite restaurant.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I've never been to Bern's...but when this bullsh*t ends I think I'm going to hop a flight from DCA to TPA and have dinner there with my wife!

We stayed at the Epicurean Hotel across the street from Bern's a couple of years ago but the wait to get into Bern's was about 3 hours, so we didn't go (we didn't know the hotel was that close to Bern's, we booked it after visiting family in Sarasota and flew out the next morning).

Anyhow....if not Bern's we may just hit Fleming's here in the DC area.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've never been to Bern's...but when this bullsh*t ends I think I'm going to hop a flight from DCA to TPA and have dinner there with my wife!

We stayed at the Epicurean Hotel across the street from Bern's a couple of years ago but the wait to get into Bern's was about 3 hours, so we didn't go (we didn't know the hotel was that close to Bern's, we booked it after visiting family in Sarasota and flew out the next morning).

That's assuming either of them make it and reopen.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
That's assuming either of them make it and reopen.

Ooooof!

200.gif

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

I usually stay at the Courtyard in Tysons across from the Galleria when I'm in the DC area.
There's a Fleming's attached to the hotel. It's pretty good but way overpriced.
I think you've mentioned before you're not too far away from McLean.

Honestly I would head over to the Capital Grille or even Ruth's Chris before I'd hit Flemings.
Better yet, make that trip to Tampa and hit Bern's. And be sure to hit the Dessert Room.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I usually stay at the Courtyard in Tysons across from the Galleria when I'm in the DC area.
There's a Fleming's attached to the hotel. It's pretty good but way overpriced.
I think you've mentioned before you're not too far away from McLean.

Honestly I would head over to the Capital Grille or even Ruth's Chris before I'd hit Flemings.
Better yet, make that trip to Tampa and hit Bern's. And be sure to hit the Dessert Room.

It's funny you mentioned that Flemings. We actually ate there the last night you could really go out before the "lockdown" (so, Saturday night March 14th). For some reason, we get $50 gift cards from that Fleming's about 3 times/year. That's the only time we go. I love it! I'm not a big steak eater, I usually eat less than 10 steaks a year. So when I do eat steak I like to go to a quality place. I agree, it's way over priced - so is Ruth's Chris, Capital Grill, and all of the other 'fancy' steak houses. I've never done Bern's, so I want to hit that place at least once. In the financial forum we had a thread on 'what do you consider an expensive meal?' - it was a good read.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bern's is nice got to go their for free because a vendor wanted us to use their services.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
It's funny you mentioned that Flemings. We actually ate there the last night you could really go out before the "lockdown" (so, Saturday night March 14th). For some reason, we get $50 gift cards from that Fleming's about 3 times/year. That's the only time we go. I love it! I'm not a big steak eater, I usually eat less than 10 steaks a year. So when I do eat steak I like to go to a quality place. I agree, it's way over priced - so is Ruth's Chris, Capital Grill, and all of the other 'fancy' steak houses. I've never done Bern's, so I want to hit that place at least once. In the financial forum we had a thread on 'what do you consider an expensive meal?' - it was a good read.

I remember that thread... it was a good read.
If you like Indian/Pakistani food, there is Sapphire in the same complex as that Courtyard.
It used to be a Bennigan's and was still a Bennigan's until about two years ago (I thought they had all gone out of business). The same owners just changed it over to what they do best.

Sapphire Tysons

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I was a bit disappointed last time I was there. The steak was top notch, but the service has slipped.

I felt like I was on a conveyor belt. There was no finesse to the service: just give me my 3 courses, and get us out the door so the next customer can hop on the Berns O’matic steak dispensary.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve been there a couple times. Actually took my wife last year for our anniversary. The experience is great. Kitchen tour and wine cellar tour is cool and the desert room upstairs is excellent. We shared dessert with a fight of bourbon.

Their best steak is the Châteaubriand.

They’re not nearly my favorite restaurant in Tampa though. Not even the best steakhouse. Flemings, Charlie’s, Capital Grille, and Ocean Prime are superior steak restaurants IMO.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve been there a couple times. Actually took my wife last year for our anniversary. The experience is great. Kitchen tour and wine cellar tour is cool and the desert room upstairs is excellent. We shared dessert with a fight of bourbon.

Their best steak is the Châteaubriand.

They’re not nearly my favorite restaurant in Tampa though. Not even the best steakhouse. Flemings, Charlie’s, Capital Grille, and Ocean Prime are superior steak restaurants IMO.

Capital Grille is the best chain steakhouse steak imo.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Went there a bunch of times on an expense account. Always enjoyed it.” I don’t know if they still have the huge fish tank in the kitchen where they kept the absolute freshest fish you could find. As in still alive.

I once ordered the chateaubriand for two for myself. :fatnanner:

Last edited:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Went there a bunch of times on an expense account. Always enjoyed it.” I don’t know if they still have the huge fish tank in the kitchen where they kept the absolute freshest fish you could find. As in still alive.

I once ordered the chateaubriand for two for myself. :fatnanner:

They kill it for you at the table?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator