Biggest reason I think Napier succeeds

Hollywood Bob

Lifetime Member
May 31, 2022
The biggest reason I think Napier succeeds is that I have come to learn that he's going to be adaptable.

Let me first start by saying I thought that about Dan Mullen to the extent of coaching offense when he was able to be successful on that side of the ball via a high octane passing offense and then had the ability to change to a pretty good run offense instead given a change in personnel. We have had plenty of offensive coaches around here that haven't been able to. But Mullen was too loyal to bad assistants. He never had answers on the defensive side and totally didn't want to deal with anything when it came to the program itself outside of really just coaching the kids.

Well the change I see is that Napier and his desire to surround himself with an army of people, is doing everything he can to mitigate any issues like that. Mullen didn't want to coordinate a staff of 60 or more people so even given the resources to do so he didn't do it. Napier is the coordinator of many coordinators around the program. I am sure he has some loyalty but I don't see him sitting around and allowing an assistant not to prove himself. They have every resource necessary to do their job at a high level.

But the biggest thing for me is that the army of people he has will allow for easy change to situations and change is one of the biggest things going on in college football. NIL, the SEC adding teams, transfer portal, dealing with scholarship counters, the things are relentless and he has an army of people to help with all of that.

And we are seeing it play out in Destin at the SEC spring meetings right now with his comfort level with these things. Outside of the SEC schedule for a 16-team league of which they are so many dizzying formats that they are considering and are very split on, the NIL is a huge issue as we saw play out between Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher last week. And there are several different things that programs and coaches are bringing up about it this week and not many can agree on.

And then there is Napier. All cool, calm, and collected about the matter and seemingly ready to make a move one way or another if he needs to...

“There’s a ton of grey area relative to what you can do and what you can’t do," Napier said in Destin Tuesday. "There’s no manual, there’s no parameters, guidelines. I’m using the term, ‘We’re living in a land with no laws.’ I think it very much continues to be a very fluid situation. You hear something new each day.”

“I’m a firm believer that this is a positive. We’re living in a different era,”

“If you go back to 1990, and I did some research the other day, each SEC institution got like $1.3 million a year from the league. Just 13 years ago, I think it was around $6 million or $7 million, and I think this (2024 TV) deal is in the high 60s or low 70s per year.

“One of the things about my career is I’ve been in the profession and observed this explosion. It’s foolish to say the players don’t deserve a piece of the pie. If there are no players in these stadiums, nobody’s showing up to watch, and they’re certainly not sitting at home watching it on TV. It all leads back to the money and I think the TV industry has the key to the castle. You’ve got to get a lot of people to the table and there’s a lot of dialogue and a lot of conversations that have to happen.”

That's a confident dude talking, not some sniveling 10 million a year coach that has been doing it under the table for who knows how long and doesn't like when everyone plays by the rules and some can match. Or the other coach that acts like it's not happening at all.

It seems like Napier's implying that there probably needs to be a revenue share here, but I also know that he's been hitting the state and finding some big time money people to lean on like those in the Gator Guard.

This guy is going to have a plan for all of this stuff because he makes sure to surround himself with people that can help him with whatever comes his way. And he's going to let the others just fuss about it.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bob, first of all welcome to the board! Second, thanks for your reporting and insight. I haven’t kept up with every detail of his build nor with all of the NIL implications. Thus, it’s good to hear your take and what you know. I’ll admit to some fears of an overall negative impact on the game, as much or more toward the obvious changes it will usher. Old guys like me sometimes like the way things are/were as opposed to what they’re going to be. But love of the game will keep me interested and I’ll adapt.

I share your opinion about Mullen and believe you sized him up pretty well, especially his disinterest or inattention to the program outside of the offensive side of the ball. I recall thinking when he was hired that “we could have done worse,” realizing later that we did! His lack of attention and effort toward recruiting was criminal as was the appearance that he might be “staging his own death” in order to collect a nice payout.

Any way, I feel like we’ve got a guy driven and becoming better equipped to compete against the upper echelon of the SEC and eventually that of CFB’s elite. I do realize that it’s not going to happen overnight, but I’m encouraged by the attention to details and the manpower to make sure it is both consistent and growing.

Hope you’ll visit frequently!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
6f5c2507-405b-4f08-926f-53014bf0b421_text.gif

Hollywood Bob

Lifetime Member
May 31, 2022
Bob, first of all welcome to the board! Second, thanks for your reporting and insight. I haven’t kept up with every detail of his build nor with all of the NIL implications. Thus, it’s good to hear your take and what you know. I’ll admit to some fears of an overall negative impact on the game, as much or more toward the obvious changes it will usher. Old guys like me sometimes like the way things are/were as opposed to what they’re going to be. But love of the game will keep me interested and I’ll adapt.

I share your opinion about Mullen and believe you sized him up pretty well, especially his disinterest or inattention to the program outside of the offensive side of the ball. I recall thinking when he was hired that “we could have done worse,” realizing later that we did! His lack of attention and effort toward recruiting was criminal as was the appearance that he might be “staging his own death” in order to collect a nice payout.

Any way, I feel like we’ve got a guy driven and becoming better equipped to compete against the upper echelon of the SEC and eventually that of CFB’s elite. I do realize that it’s not going to happen overnight, but I’m encouraged by the attention to details and the manpower to make sure it is both consistent and growing.

Hope you’ll visit frequently!
Thanks for the kind words.

I think most people outside of the players are scared of the changes that the NIL could bring. I believe the NCAA got so scared of the lawsuits that were about to come down from some players about not being compensated that they just left the door wide open. It will get reined in at some point, but Napier and company need to take every advantage they can muster at this point and then like I wrote above i feel they can adjust with the people he has around him.

As for Mullen. I gave him the benefit of the doubt with recruiting in the first couple of years in because he handled the brand new transfer portal pretty well. I thought that the portal might be the niche he could really take advantage of by getting older proven players on programs that weren't succeeding and show them that they could play right away for a better team in Gainesville. He was able to bring those types of players pretty much throughout, but the recruiting got worse.

The kicker for me for me was the end of the 2020 season and then the start of the 2021 calendar year. The LSU game in 2020, I felt like he absolutely didn't prepare his team for that game because he thought there was no way to lose and then the bowl game against Oklahoma where they were just miserable. In January it was clear that he was NFL job searching and I was steamed that he wasn't willing to squash that stuff in the media shortly after it was clear that he had no chance at the NFL as a head coach. He just didn't care at that point. I was done with the guy before the 2021 season ever started.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t know anyone that isn’t excited about all the changes and the appearance of the UAA loosening the purse strings to allow us to get up to par with the other programs we compete with. That said, his success or failure will rely on his ability to recruit at a top 5 level.

Hollywood Bob

Lifetime Member
May 31, 2022
I don’t know anyone that isn’t excited about all the changes and the appearance of the UAA loosening the purse strings to allow us to get up to par with the other programs we compete with. That said, his success or failure will rely on his ability to recruit at a top 5 level.
I'm really confident that will happen.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Thanks for the kind words.

I think most people outside of the players are scared of the changes that the NIL could bring. I believe the NCAA got so scared of the lawsuits that were about to come down from some players about not being compensated that they just left the door wide open. It will get reined in at some point, but Napier and company need to take every advantage they can muster at this point and then like I wrote above i feel they can adjust with the people he has around him.

As for Mullen. I gave him the benefit of the doubt with recruiting in the first couple of years in because he handled the brand new transfer portal pretty well. I thought that the portal might be the niche he could really take advantage of by getting older proven players on programs that weren't succeeding and show them that they could play right away for a better team in Gainesville. He was able to bring those types of players pretty much throughout, but the recruiting got worse.

The kicker for me for me was the end of the 2020 season and then the start of the 2021 calendar year. The LSU game in 2020, I felt like he absolutely didn't prepare his team for that game because he thought there was no way to lose and then the bowl game against Oklahoma where they were just miserable. In January it was clear that he was NFL job searching and I was steamed that he wasn't willing to squash that stuff in the media shortly after it was clear that he had no chance at the NFL as a head coach. He just didn't care at that point. I was done with the guy before the 2021 season ever started.

Every one of our fired coaches has a defining game from which you knew they would never recover. For Zook it was ut 2004(um ‘03 to a lesser degree). McElwain was Mich 2017. WM was Gsu 2013(uga 2011 for me and others). Mullen had some highs and lows. But nothing compares to 2020 lsu. I said that night that it would be the game people would reference later when he was actually fired as a catalyst. I don’t know a single UF fan than doesn’t bring it up any time his dismissal is talked about. He was never coming back from that.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
My question to all of the insiders or suckholes is that they always think the new-est coach is the guy. I have no idea about Sling Blade, but why on gawd's green earth would anyone have thought anything good about Cousin Eddie? Bad enough that we have an incompetent athletic admin that Fooley destroyed and Strichnice is continuing to burn it down, but Cousin Eddie was shyt from the time he was an asst. here in the mid 2000's? Play caller? He sucked. His ability to manage games as a play caller then as a head coach was awful. Forget about his laziness as far as building a program and being loyal to assts. that sucked. He was loyal to assts that sucked b/c no one and I repeat no one with any sense wanted to work for or with that jackA$$. he is a known arrogant A$$hole and a shyt coach and a loser. Please tell me why all the so called insiders were too stoopid to see it from years of watching it right in front of their very own eyes?

Cousin Eddie was NFL job searching? Give me a break! What for? Cleaning the toilets of an NFL locker room? Give me a break. They floated that shyt b/c they knew that only Fooley and Strichnine are stooooooopid enough to fall for that. Not even the worst NFL owner, aka Jerruh, would entertain hiring a dypshyt like Cousin Eddie. Some of you "insiders" are and I will be kind are Gullible.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
First, glad to have you posting Bob. But, Florida has a culture problem and it’s in the media when these are not just your views but prevailing views in the Gators media:

Let me first start by saying I thought that about Dan Mullen to the extent of coaching offense

As for Mullen. I gave him the benefit of the doubt with recruiting in the first couple of years

These tales are bad in retrospect, but they were also bad at the time. Mullen proved to us what he was both as to his non-adaptive offense and his lack of recruiting well before he showed back up at UF.

While everyone is more positive now about the Gators, your basis for optimism is essentially the same thing you did for the last guy. Pick the most public thing he’s doing well (here the “army”) and highlight it.

We all hope you’re right, but the track record doesn’t suggest expertise as much as a buyer of party narrative. I wish our local media inquired more than re-sold the teams story.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think another concern some people have with Napier is he's gonna coach the QB's and the offense. I have zero problems with this. Apparently he's been chomping at the bit to call plays in the SEC. I believe Lincoln Riley and Jimbo Fishers have model'd their staffs similarly. I honestly can't remember who was technically the qb coach during the spurrier years. They definitely didn't get any credit.

Edit: we're glad to have you aboard, Mr Bob.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My question to all of the insiders or suckholes is that they always think the new-est coach is the guy. I have no idea about Sling Blade, but why on gawd's green earth would anyone have thought anything good about Cousin Eddie? Bad enough that we have an incompetent athletic admin that Fooley destroyed and Strichnice is continuing to burn it down, but Cousin Eddie was shyt from the time he was an asst. here in the mid 2000's? Play caller? He sucked. His ability to manage games as a play caller then as a head coach was awful. Forget about his laziness as far as building a program and being loyal to assts. that sucked. He was loyal to assts that sucked b/c no one and I repeat no one with any sense wanted to work for or with that jackA$$. he is a known arrogant A$$hole and a shyt coach and a loser. Please tell me why all the so called insiders were too stoopid to see it from years of watching it right in front of their very own eyes?

Cousin Eddie was NFL job searching? Give me a break! What for? Cleaning the toilets of an NFL locker room? Give me a break. They floated that shyt b/c they knew that only Fooley and Strichnine are stooooooopid enough to fall for that. Not even the worst NFL owner, aka Jerruh, would entertain hiring a dypshyt like Cousin Eddie. Some of you "insiders" are and I will be kind are Gullible.

Mullen was the ex girlfriend that you dumped for all the right reasons and were happy to have moved on from. But the fallback temptation, in times of desperation, makes at least some sense in the moment. There aren’t any secrets or unknowns and you try to focus on the good times you remember. Even then, you’re aware that it won’t be great and likely won’t end well. The coke problem is still there. Her Korean mother is still just the absolute worst person on earth to hear speaking. You even know the car she’s driving you back to the parking garage in is probably delinquent as of the upcoming Wednesday and you’ll be stroking a check to avoid repossession. But things didn’t go as well as you’d hoped that night and based on recent events you probably need to lay low with Cheetah and Rachel’s. So you start to rationalize that maybe kimchi and dried squid have become better over the last few years and begin to convince yourself that things will somehow fall together this time. That’s Dan Mullen at UF.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

Yes. 1000 Yeses. Yet, a few posts here and so many forget.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Napier comes across as a guy that would politely listen, then completely ignore suggestions that an idiot like Foley, and Stricklin to a certain extent, would offer. A big plus.

Hollywood Bob

Lifetime Member
May 31, 2022

Whether the NFL was interested in him or not is not what I said. Everything was out there in print about the NFL interest and more so his interest in the NFL. He chose not to distinguish that smoke. Those are facts.

I mentioned my one question about Napier in terms of being the offense and quarterback manager as well as the head coach. Only one guy has done that around here at the level that it need to be done. I also mentioned that I thought that the way Anthony Richardson looked in the spring game helped calm some of those fears.

I guess Urban Meyer was a ****ty coach here because he let Mullen do his thing here as the OC and drug him around to to other stops he made along the way to get to Gainesville? I wasn't happy with the Mullen hire and then he turned things around really quickly with some transfers and some McElwain and Muschamp players. But the time ran out on those players and we saw the consequences of his disdain for recruiting. Stricklin would have ended up with Chip Kelly if he could have and an even worse roster at this point in time.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
8EE92F49-1B41-4D25-8BA3-1C32F7D19895.jpeg

Apparently this will standard issue at the next OxCamp. FFS. Anger management;)

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Love Ox creating fake accounts of Gator beat writers to drum up activity. Heard Bates and Doering are creating accounts soon as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator