Bill Carr DEAD; remains to be spread over the Suwannee River

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Former Florida athletic director Bill Carr, an All-America center and team captain for the Gators in 1966, died Saturday night. He was 78.

The university confirmed Carr's death Sunday.

Carr was the school's AD for seven years (1979-1986). He left voluntarily and served as the executive director of a youth advocacy group and as vice president at Raycom Sports before returning to college athletics as Houston's AD in 1993.

Carr was born in Gainesville and spent time in Vero Beach and Pensacola before returning to his hometown for college. He was a three-year starter for the Gators and was Steve Spurrier's roommate as a senior.

"I was fortunate to see him just a couple of weeks ago, and he was battling some health issues," Spurrier said in a statement. "His teammates called him 'Willie C,' and he loved the school and everyone around him. We loved him back and all of us have so many wonderful memories of Bill."

Carr was a fourth-round draft pick (106th overall) by the New Orleans Saints in 1967. He left the Saints later that year to fulfill his military service obligation. He spent two years in the Army and served in the Seventh Infantry Division in Korea. He returned to the Saints after serving and was cut following the preseason.

Carr moved back to Florida in 1970 to serve as a graduate assistant for the football team while earning a master's degree in education. In 1974, he became an assistant to Florida AD Ray Graves. When Graves retired in 1979, Carr was promoted and became the youngest AD in Division I at the time.

He's credited with helping lead Florida's athletic department out of debt and spearheading the construction of the school's basketball facility as well as an expansion of the football stadium.

"Bill's fingerprints are all over the foundation of this program," former Florida AD Jeremy Foley said. "I had a front-row seat to witness his impact and vision during his time as athletic director, especially in the area of facilities.

"He was one of my first mentors and had a huge impact on my career."

SPurriers Center and All American.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Pensacola boy made good. Oh, 10 and 1 is his most famous response to a question.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
He led us through momentous and tumultuous years, often criticized as ADs inevitably are, but a great Gator and man.

God bless and keep him and comfort all who mourn his loss.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
"Bill's fingerprints are all over the foundation of this program," former Florida AD Jeremy Foley said. "I had a front-row seat to witness his impact and vision during his time as athletic director, especially in the area of facilities. He was one of my first mentors and had a huge impact on my career."
Emotion Reaction GIF

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was almost afraid to open for fear I'd read what I did. I'm a big Bill Carr fan. He was the last home-grown AD who actually played football. Great guy, great AD, a very sad day for all Gators. RIP.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As an addendum, Carr hired Pell, oversaw a massive overhaul of Florida Field, the opening of the O'Dome and helped usher in an immensely prosperous period for UF football. He knew what the eff he was doing.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As an addendum, Carr hired Pell, oversaw a massive overhaul of Florida Field, the opening of the O'Dome and helped usher in an immensely prosperous period for UF football. He knew what the eff he was doing.

Also completely revamped how the athletic department raised money, creating an increase of funds to allow for projects to happen.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Carr was a fourth-round draft pick (106th overall) by the New Orleans Saints in 1967. He left the Saints later that year to fulfill his military service obligation. He spent two years in the Army and served in the Seventh Infantry Division in Korea. He returned to the Saints after serving and was cut following the preseason.

Carr moved back to Florida in 1970 to serve as a graduate assistant for the football team while earning a master's degree in education. In 1974, he became an assistant to Florida AD Ray Graves. When Graves retired in 1979, Carr was promoted and became the youngest AD in Division I at the time.

RIP Willie C. The above is what a college scholarship was intended to produce. Committed, successful, responsible adults contributing to society at the highest level.

Fxxk the idiots who are only in it for themselves and a shot at "the league"

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Bill-Carr.jpg

Snapped the ball to quarterback Steve Spurrier. Made All-SEC and All-American. Can you remember when SEC centers were that size? True grit and determination. Named UF AD at age 33. There may have been equals in UF folklore but no one was more Gator than Bill Carr.

Sam

Aug 5, 2016
He went to my church, in Gainesville, in the late 70's.

One time, around '77 or '78, I was standing on Florida Field during a break from class. He recognized me and walked over and we chatted.
He motioned toward the south end zone bleachers and said, 'one day we are going to bowl all that in'.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Met him once at a game about 5 years ago. We both sat at the same table in the bull gator deck to eat. I was using a friend’s tix. We talked about Gator sports and Gainesville changes through halftime. He seemed to be a very genuine and good guy. Just a pleasure to speak with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.