Billy Napier - Paul Finebaum Interview

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
In case y'all have missed it Coach Nap seems to be a Christian that not only talks the talk but walks the walk. Let's hope he can find us a good Christian QB like Danny Wuerffel or Tim Tebow.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He did well. All the questions were softballs except for the “how did recruiting get this bad?”. He ducked that one and wisely so.

Thought Criminal

Lifetime Member
Jul 31, 2018
I thought he was excellent. Couple of quick things that jumped out to me in the interview as well as a couple other random things from the past couple of days:

1) I'm 100% guilty of judging this guy based on presentation... metering, dialect, all that intangible stuff because he doesn't talk a mile a minute. But the actual words that come out of his mouth are spot on. It's easy (for me at least) to mishear slow speech as something other than careful, methodical and certain, but this is a really smart dude.

2) ...and too smart a dude to have wasted a shot at Gibson if he wanted him. He knows something about Gibson that I don't, and it probably had to do with the relationship with Evers and that look-at-me mama bear over there.

3) Someone on Finebaum said he's really hard to dislike, even for opponents and it's a great point. He just comes off as a really humble, likeable guy. As real as it gets. Somebody I'd have my kid play for. Hard to negative recruit against him... he's not looking to jump to the NFL, he's not unstable or a dick, just a good dude who seems like he would make himself comfortable in anybody's living room.

Last edited:

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I thought he was excellent. Couple of quick things that jumped out to me in the interview as well as a couple other random things from the past couple of days:

1) I'm 100% guilty of judging this guy based on presentation... metering, dialect, all that intangible stuff because he doesn't talk a mile a minute. But the actual words that come out of his mouth are spot on. It's easy (for me at least) to mishear slow speech as something other than careful, methodical and certain, but this is a really smart dude.

2) ...and too smart a dude to have wasted a shot at Gibson if he wanted him. He knows something about Gibson that I don't, and it probably had to do with the relationship with Evers and that look-at-me mama bear over there.

3) Someone on Finebaum said he's really hard to dislike, even for opponents and it's a great point. He just comes off as a really humble, likeable guy. As real as it gets. Somebody I'd have my kid play for. Hard to negative recruit against him... he's not looking to jump to the NFL, he's not unstable or a dick, just a good dude who seems like he would make himself comfortable in anybody's living room.
I mean...I'll take a dick that wins. Spurrier anyone?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’m a fan. I have questions about certain things this week but still feel better about this hire than any we’ve seen since Meyer.

Thought Criminal

Lifetime Member
Jul 31, 2018
SOS wasn’t a dick. He simply talked shyt & backed it up. There’s a big difference.
Agreed. Somewhat unrelated, it's funny how much we (including me) think about whether a coach has "relatability" to these kids... I don't know if this was big news at the time but one time SOS thought he'd hype the boys up by playing "I Hope you Dance" in the pregame locker room. It was probably before 52-20, so winning will literally relate anybody to anything.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Agreed. Somewhat unrelated, it's funny how much we (including me) think about whether a coach has "relatability" to these kids... I don't know if this was big news at the time but one time SOS thought he'd hype the boys up by playing "I Hope you Dance" in the pregame locker room. It was probably before 52-20, so winning will literally relate anybody to anything.

That was during the Jesse Palmer years.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I1) I'm 100% guilty of judging this guy based on presentation... metering, dialect, all that intangible stuff because he doesn't talk a mile a minute. But the actual words that come out of his mouth are spot on. It's easy (for me at least) to mishear slow speech as something other than careful, methodical and certain, but this is a really smart dude.

Fact, Furman is NOT a diploma factory. If you get a bachelors or anything higher there, you've earned it.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
'Zero surprises': Family, hard work and learning led Billy Napier up the college football ladder as Florida's new head coach

This is a good article about Billy Napier and his family that was in the Dalton (GA) paper recently = after he was hired at Florida. A lot of you know that Dalton is close to Chattanooga on I-75, If you exit off on US Highway 76 at Dalton and go about 15 miles east you will be in Chattsworth, Billy Napier's hometown. Chattsworth is a town that looks like it has seen its better days, but as the county seat of Murray County it has one of the most impressive courthouses in all of Georgia.

Napier was offered a football scholarship to Duke, so the linked article says, but he chose to go to Furman. He graduated from Furman with a degree in Exercise and Health Science. He could have gone to the Dalton School of Chenille Bedspreads but it wouldn't change the fact that he is an intelligent person who has an analytical mind.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

That was the 2000 season and it was a perfect message. I don’t like country music, but I’ll stop and listen to that song if I hear it because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.