Billy Napier - UF Head Football Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Some perhaps, especially with turmoil at LSU, Okie, maybe UT and Ole Miss to come. But it's going to be a kid here or there.

There is no saving this class. This class was lost by Mullen in the summer. Nor would it matter if he landed all the kids that Mullen was circling in on, and ended up with another Mullenesque 12th-15th ranked class.

Next year matters though and next year he will have a shot at some elite kids that could change the trajectory of the program.

9-2 and second in the east is ok for Mizzu or Kinfuchsy, but it is not Gator Football.
Right. Evidently, Gator football is 6-6 and second to last in the East.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well, not my first choice (or second), but he seems like a decent blue collar guy who is gonna work hard. We could do worse, and have.

I've been vocal about not wanting the guy as our coach. That being said, at least all signs point to him earning his paycheck here unlike the last two guys. Even if he ends up being a dud in the W-L column due to his offense, I think he'll at least get the infrastructure in place for us to compete on the recruiting field.

And because of that, I'm gonna have some of dem der french fried pertaters tomorrow for dinner. Mmmhmm

Thought Criminal

Lifetime Member
Jul 31, 2018
we are an eight or nine win team with a 6 win coach.
Right, and that's why there shouldn't be talk of some "7 year rebuild". When you still out-talent three quarters of your schedule AFTER hiring three straight buffoons, it's not crazy to expect winning and entertaining football soon if the team is competently run. Love that he said he "embraced the expectations".

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Love that he said he "embraced the expectations".

They all say that. Easy to "embrace the expectations" when you are punished by getting an 8 figure check by sorely underachieving said "expectations".

7 year rebuild my @$$. Whether he gets fired by year 4 or stays a long time will be obvious once he signs the 2023 class, which most of it shapes up next summer / fall. By the end of next year will know.

Thought Criminal

Lifetime Member
Jul 31, 2018
7 year rebuild my @$$. Whether he gets fired by year 4 or stays a long time will be obvious once he signs the 2023 class.
Yep. There's been a lot of talk on here about having "patience" and "trusting the process"... one Napier pumper said to lower our expectations and that our best hope would be to contend for championships around year 7. That isn't how things work here, or how they should work. There's too much talent in this state for a 7 year rebuild, or even a 4 year rebuild.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Hell, I'm on board. Sounds like no one is going to outwork him which is exactly what we needed after suffering through the last bizarrely pathologically lazy snarky dooshbag. Napier's work ethic is a breath of fresh air.

The team clearly hated Numbnuts as much as we did with none of the usual reports of team anger, threatening to sit out, having his back, etc when their coach gets fired. And seeing how they came out for the FSU game, they seemed thrilled to be playing with Mullen out of their way. I have to believe Napier will be very well received by the team, and they are probably looking forward to getting some actual coaching.

And I'm looking forward to his final assistant coaching staff announcements, but the names being floated sound very promising. We have something we haven't had in a long time, hope and potential. Now let's hope it translates into wins and eventually championships.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bammer doesn't want him.

Why are you so concerned about this positionless project?

Is he from your home town? We wont miss that Kick Returner, I promise.
Mullen recruited him as a WR but the kid is an outstanding corner.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Stricklin interviewed just one coach (as has been rumored) and didn't gauge someone like Lincoln Riley's interest he should be fired.

It's very Foley/Butters if what is rumored is accurate.
Should have already been fired for not firing Dan for cause…not recruiting.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Because if he has a great year here next year he could be a 1st rounder?

Fair enough, but that seems a narrow goal. It would make more sense (to me) if it were moving up from 4th-5th to 1st-2nd. Or, maybe he’s shooting for top 15 or something.

In any case, I’d welcome him. The transfer portal brings opportunity to capitalize on any early buzz, the new facilities, etc.

Edit: He’s a hidden gem. 6’2” guy who went JuCo as a safety and has the coverage skills to be a lock-down corner. If he came he’d be a big help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.