Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Georgia

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks C2
Your addendum about the size and tackling is spot on. Our DL plays well against less mobile OL where speed kills, but if they are mobile, we don’t have the mass and power to fight of the blocks. The plays with Zuniga were just crazy, designed not to block him as they didn’t think the end could get there, but after a few plays...

Hopefully will get home tomorrow to watch the replay, need to see if our receivers still can’t get open or just not seen. We clearly need misdirects or gimmicks for long passes :(. Still thought FF TD pass was almost picked. The WR blocking was not near as good today.

We knew the DL was weak against a power run and that our LB , heck all the db are now weak in coverage. Huge cushions and still getting beat. Really showed yesterday. Despite all the miscues, they fought hard and were still in it until teh fourth.

QB, well I got nothing. My question would be who are our difference makers and are we getting the ball?

Go Gators
Thanks Wood. Your query about difference makers...I think Toney is an obvious one that we need to get more touches. Any of the WRs, but several seem to not shine as much against better secondaries. Some of that is on the QB. I think we had some open guys yesterday, but there were several passes behind the receivers and a few open but unnoticed. I'm biased, but I'd like to see Pierce get a few more touches.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
The Gators played with heart and passion but that is not enough against a good team and like it or not Georgia is a damn good team.
* Lack of a pass rush hurt and put way too much pressure on a very thin Defensive backfield.
* Turn overs led to 17 points for Ga.
* Franks played like his brain was in a fog for most of the game.
* failure to cover their tight end killed us all day
Good news is some of these things can be improved upon , guess we will see Sat.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
The Gators played with heart and passion but that is not enough against a good team and like it or not Georgia is a damn good team.
* Lack of a pass rush hurt and put way too much pressure on a very thin Defensive backfield.
* Turn overs led to 17 points for Ga.
* Franks played like his brain was in a fog for most of the game.
* failure to cover their tight end killed us all day
Good news is some of these things can be improved upon , guess we will see Sat.

Heart and passion might’ve been enough if we took better care of the ball.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One indication of a depth problem is this: with 50 seconds left in the first half, we had held Georgia to 100 yards of total offense.
The thing is we have some good players at some positions, but we have too many starters that are not good and we don't have any depth at all in some positions. Where that really manifests itself is the 4th quarter when we are hurt and exhausted and the game totally gets away.

Last edited:

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Great breakdown, Cover. With the exception of the turnovers, that game went pretty much like I expected. I was extremely concerned going into it because of the weakness and depth issues with our interior D. uga knows how to run the ball, and we finally wore down as the game went on. And Fromm is light years ahead of FF in the mental dept. We still don't have the talent or the bodies on D to chew bubblegum and walk at the same time. It seemed at times that we were picking our poison, and uga was exploiting our choices every time. However, I did not expect FF to completely sh!t the bed like he did in this game. I knew it was always a possibility, but I had fooled myself into believing that he was beyond that. Obviously, he is not. His poor play killed any chances to give our D rest and keep this game close until the end.

About Mullen.. like I have said before, he is a good coach, but I'm not convinced he is a great coach. I really like what he is doing overall with the program. he is building a very solid foundation. With elite recruiting results, we will become perennial contenders again. His playcalling still scares me at times. Great coaches call plays that actually have a chance for productivity. Mullen, at times, seems to be fine with calling a play just for the sake of burning a down. I will never be a fan of that. Like you mentioned, we REALLY needed to maintain momentum, which would have helped protect our defense. An example what I am talking about is Mullen calling ANY designed running play for Franks. Franks is truly one of the worst runners I have ever seen. He is a marginally decent 'scrambler' when protection breaks down, but he is an absolutely atrocious running QB. I realize Dan dreams of another Tebow running the ball from the QB position for us, but to ask FF to do it literally hurts the entire offense's ability to stay on the field.

Dear God, please don't ever let Dan call a running play for FF ever again. And, God... please send us another Ellis Johnson to play on the D line.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
This wasn't totally unexpected. This the same team that struggled to win 4 games last year and whose last 5 star recruit is now a senior. Kudos are in order for hanging with a very talented team for 3 1/2 quarters. Franks is gonna be Franks. The secondary has been seriously thin all season long. Overall, Mullen has done yeoman's work with duct tape and bailing wire. Given the choice, I'd rather have Dan than Kirby. Discerning Dawgs are starting to see the chinks in those bangs.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
So I guess Stewart was suspended. Rumors that Edwards also didn’t play (and he’s a better option than McWilliams). Can anyone confirm that? I know the lack of pass rush was a bigger problem, but the condition of our secondary may have limited what Grantham could do with his blitz packages.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We looked like Mullen's old MSU teams. Barely any passing game and the staff as a whole called a terrible game. WE GOT OUTCOACHED AND OUT TALENTED. WHY THE **** WOULD YOU RUN QB POWER WITH A QB YOU KNOW HAS BALL SECURITY ISSUES? OR THROW SCREENS ON 3 AND 9? OR LET THE DEFENSE PLAY OFF AND THEN GIVE THE TE 4 STRAIGHT CATCHES? FRANK'S IS WHO HE IS BUT HE WASN'T THE ONLY REASON WE LOST.

1. SCARLETT FUMBLED
2. MCWILLIAMS GOT MUGGED ALL GAME
3. COSTLY PENALTIES AND BAD PLAYCALLS
4. PASS RUSH
5. IF WE START EMORY WE GO 7-5. HE'S NOT ANYWHERE NEAR BEING READY.
6. ONCE FRANKS HAS THE MENTAL PART DOWN WE'LL BE CONTENDERS.

The constant blaming of Franks for everything is ridiculous

I need to watch the game at your house this week because your tv is showing you a completely different game than the rest of us watched.
After the game, as I listened to that borderline tard coach of UGA's talk about how much "caharrracccter" his team had, I thought about thankful I am that we have Mullen.
If the rosters were swapped, Mullen beats Muschamp's brother by 50 points.
We need players starting with a QB, we have a coach already.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Great breakdown, Cover. With the exception of the turnovers, that game went pretty much like I expected. I was extremely concerned going into it because of the weakness and depth issues with our interior D. uga knows how to run the ball, and we finally wore down as the game went on. And Fromm is light years ahead of FF in the mental dept. We still don't have the talent or the bodies on D to chew bubblegum and walk at the same time. It seemed at times that we were picking our poison, and uga was exploiting our choices every time. However, I did not expect FF to completely sh!t the bed like he did in this game. I knew it was always a possibility, but I had fooled myself into believing that he was beyond that. Obviously, he is not. His poor play killed any chances to give our D rest and keep this game close until the end.

About Mullen.. like I have said before, he is a good coach, but I'm not convinced he is a great coach. I really like what he is doing overall with the program. he is building a very solid foundation. With elite recruiting results, we will become perennial contenders again. His playcalling still scares me at times. Great coaches call plays that actually have a chance for productivity. Mullen, at times, seems to be fine with calling a play just for the sake of burning a down. I will never be a fan of that. Like you mentioned, we REALLY needed to maintain momentum, which would have helped protect our defense. An example what I am talking about is Mullen calling ANY designed running play for Franks. Franks is truly one of the worst runners I have ever seen. He is a marginally decent 'scrambler' when protection breaks down, but he is an absolutely atrocious running QB. I realize Dan dreams of another Tebow running the ball from the QB position for us, but to ask FF to do it literally hurts the entire offense's ability to stay on the field.

Dear God, please don't ever let Dan call a running play for FF ever again. And, God... please send us another Ellis Johnson to play on the D line.

These thoughts are the reason I did not want Cousin Eddie as HC. I saw it when he was OC here and when he was HC at Cowbell. He was, has been and is always good for about 3-5 head scratching play calls on offense per game that can actually be the deciding factor in a game. Your sentiments mirror mine and I thought I was one of the few who saw that in him from years back. I can name the plays in each game this season that have irked me b/c I view the game as a continuous flow and am always thinking game management, risk vs. reward, and the capabilities (or lack thereof) of your players. As you say, "for the sake of" is spot on. However I thought that there were only 2 mind numbing offensive calls against UGA. An improvement but I would like to see it at zero. To me it is not the result that makes it good/bad, but what is the thought process and why? However there were numerous defensive calls that bothered me, but even when at full strength on D, we are playing without a stacked deck at almost every level. I hope that those few plays we speak of will disappear each week, but until it does, it will always be my biggest concern. But to be fair he has called some beautifully timed plays the last 3 games, which is why I get some worked up when he throws in an obvious clunker that is hard to understand.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Great breakdown, Cover. With the exception of the turnovers, that game went pretty much like I expected. I was extremely concerned going into it because of the weakness and depth issues with our interior D. uga knows how to run the ball, and we finally wore down as the game went on.
Wore down? They pretty much had our way w us fom the beginning. We have been relying on turnover but most teams have had sucess bc we are weak vs run at DL and LB.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
These thoughts are the reason I did not want Cousin Eddie as HC. I saw it when he was OC here and when he was HC at Cowbell. He was, has been and is always good for about 3-5 head scratching play calls on offense per game that can actually be the deciding factor in a game. Your sentiments mirror mine and I thought I was one of the few who saw that in him from years back. I can name the plays in each game this season that have irked me b/c I view the game as a continuous flow and am always thinking game management, risk vs. reward, and the capabilities (or lack thereof) of your players. As you say, "for the sake of" is spot on. However I thought that there were only 2 mind numbing offensive calls against UGA. An improvement but I would like to see it at zero. To me it is not the result that makes it good/bad, but what is the thought process and why? However there were numerous defensive calls that bothered me, but even when at full strength on D, we are playing without a stacked deck at almost every level. I hope that those few plays we speak of will disappear each week, but until it does, it will always be my biggest concern. But to be fair he has called some beautifully timed plays the last 3 games, which is why I get some worked up when he throws in an obvious clunker that is hard to understand.
I agree with this.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
I need to watch the game at your house this week because your tv is showing you a completely different game than the rest of us watched.
After the game, as I listened to that borderline tard coach of UGA's talk about how much "caharrracccter" his team had, I thought about thankful I am that we have Mullen.
If the rosters were swapped, Mullen beats Muschamp's brother by 50 points.
We need players starting with a QB, we have a coach already.
You're MENTAL IF you think Kirby is WM. There's no sense in addressing you after this post

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
At this point,the question and hope is do we finish strong. End on a win streak, a game during the Holidays, the team acting and sounding like a family... I'm good. From there, all eyes on the recruiting trail, we obviously need to find some key alpha personalities with game. We have some pieces and have real practices again, now recruit a few face of the University leaders and we should be back for real.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Wore down? They pretty much had our way w us fom the beginning. We have been relying on turnover but most teams have had sucess bc we are weak vs run at DL and LB.

True. And we literally had nothing at the end of the game. That is why we really needed to dominate the TOP and keep our D off the field. Basically, we just weren't up to the challenge for a host of reasons

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
We looked like Mullen's old MSU teams. Barely any passing game and the staff as a whole called a terrible game. WE GOT OUTCOACHED AND OUT TALENTED. WHY THE **** WOULD YOU RUN QB POWER WITH A QB YOU KNOW HAS BALL SECURITY ISSUES? OR THROW SCREENS ON 3 AND 9? OR LET THE DEFENSE PLAY OFF AND THEN GIVE THE TE 4 STRAIGHT CATCHES? FRANK'S IS WHO HE IS BUT HE WASN'T THE ONLY REASON WE LOST.

1. SCARLETT FUMBLED
2. MCWILLIAMS GOT MUGGED ALL GAME
3. COSTLY PENALTIES AND BAD PLAYCALLS
4. PASS RUSH
5. IF WE START EMORY WE GO 7-5. HE'S NOT ANYWHERE NEAR BEING READY.
6. ONCE FRANKS HAS THE MENTAL PART DOWN WE'LL BE CONTENDERS.

The constant blaming of Franks for everything is ridiculous

Somebody is really feeling the pain after Clemson went in dry on his noles.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
End on a win streak, a game during the Holidays, the team acting and sounding like a family... I'm good. From there, all eyes on the recruiting trail,.
The game has changed.

Recruiting is mostly over in Dec now. Younwait and you are taking leftovers.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So I guess Stewart was suspended. Rumors that Edwards also didn’t play (and he’s a better option than McWilliams). Can anyone confirm that? I know the lack of pass rush was a bigger problem, but the condition of our secondary may have limited what Grantham could do with his blitz packages.

Yes, both Stewart and Edwards were suspended. The UAA/Mullen won't confirm they were suspended...but neither played a down.

I'm not sure how much better we would have played, but I can guarantee you McWilliams wouldn't have played as much...and likely would have been benched at some point.

It's gotta be weed. No other explanation. Selfish players. This "team" won't be a "team" until they get this sh*t settled. And that's a "players" issue.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
No, with 50 seconds left in the first half, UGA had only 100 yds of total offense. The score was off turnovers, not dominance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.