Bits & Pieces: Florida vs Kentucky

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Again I’ll start with a couple of apologies. First, I’m going ahead and posting the article now instead of in the morning. No ‘Breakfast’ version unless you’re busy drinking, doing the crossword, or something to take your mind off of today’s setback. Second, I’m not inclined to talk about firing and hiring and so forth. There’s already enough of that going on in other threads, chats, etc. At this point I’d rather not keep chewing that same mouthful of cabbage. What I’d rather do is stick to some of the specifics of why UK had such an easy time with us.

I don’t believe you have to be a football savant to grasp the fact that we were dominated by UK’s OL and DL that allowed them to rush for 329 yds against us and score 33 pts while limiting us to 69 yds rushing and 14 pts. Their rushing total was predominantly on the shoulders (and legs) of Vandy transfer Re’Mahn Davis, who ran over and around us for 280 yds, Lord knows how many came after contact, on 26 carries, scoring three times. It was clear that our front seven were effectively blocked or cut off on most every rushing attempt early on which left run support squarely on the safeties (and other secondary) who, after getting blasted by Davis, exhibited quite a bit of grabbing, wildly diving as he ran by, or simply following him with no real intent to catch or engage. Not the same effort we displayed in a very nice defensive performance against UT or even McNeese. The question is WHY?

I have couple of theories, not pulled from my nether regions, but based on years dealing with high school athletes at various stages of learning to compete and win. I wouldn’t dare to say that my examples are identical, but I believe there are physical and psychological similarities that bear consideration. First of all, I believe our overall dependence on so many young players has an impact on performance, particularly when considering the size, athleticism, strength, and cohesion of the OL/DL units we faced today. There wasn’t much slow-playing, reading, etc. There was a helluva lot of GATA’ing and pressure placed on our OL and D as a whole. In that vein, I’d say we thought we had a pretty good plan going into the game, but it got quickly thrown out the window when the Cats started continuously punching us in the mouth. Younger teams, regardless of how physically talented they may be or how potentially good they will be, generally do not have that experienced leadership base that has been run through the sawmill, learning from those that came before and had it to pass along. I don’t believe we’ve had enough of that, if any, based on the state of the team dynamics that resulted from the recent coaching transitions to include transfers out preceded by piss poor roster management.

This does not mean Billy and staff get a pass; rather, it means he better get damn creative in a hurry. Right now, we have 3 wins, which is the high water mark several pundits have allowed when making predictions for the season. We are also squarely in a struggle to stay out of the SEC cellar. I think it’s doable, but certainly not a given if we nut up against a strong, aggressive, well-prepared team. Another fear that comes from a game like this is will a similar performance transfer to a lesser team on the schedule?

Now how do you fix this predicament? Time and hanging onto your better players is important. You have to recreate in preparatory practices what you expect the other teams will throw at you, which schematically is the easy part, but replicating speed and physicality is the problem. So Billy’s got to be creative in making sure our kids are prepared somehow to get hit in the mouth and start hitting back. He’s got the template dumped in his lap. It should be a daily/weekly part of their training and development for every game going forward. Successful football depends on a high level of sustained aggression to include being able to impose your will on your opponents consistently.

I should probably stop there since I sincerely believe this is the most fundamental challenge we face that is holding back chances for successes throughout the entire scheme, but there were a couple of notable things that were somewhat good that occurred. Mertz can do a lot more than we were initially lead to believe, particularly with his arm. It was nice to see a semblance of a passing attack. He made a couple of nice throws intermediate and over the top and has shown he can check down when necessary. I wish it would have come earlier in the game and perhaps it will moving forward. Mertz can handle it and when teams are able to stymie your ground game, you’ve got to have a foil, especially if your D is getting its stool pushed in and you’ve got to find a way to both match their scores and maybe stretch the field and give your D time to regroup. We’ve got some good young receivers coming who need the game reps as part of their development.

To close, games like this always yield more questions than answers and we seem to have had too long a span of these experiences. I’m going to throw out an immediate goal for Billy, the staff, and the team…start with a win and follow it up with another one. Find a way to convince us tangibly that we are making progress. I think we all get that the kids are learning to trust each other and are trying to get better each week. We just need a way to better see it.

Go Gators!

:chomp:

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, but that just feels like an excuse for an unprepared team that got dominated. Worst loss to UK since 1979…when we went 0-10-1. Today was the day Billy was officially put on notice.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, but that just feels like an excuse for an unprepared team that got dominated. Worst loss to UK since 1979…when we went 0-10-1. Today was the day Billy was officially put on notice.
”Unprepared” was precisely the point I was making.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Cover, I love ya bro. Good to have you back!!
Thanks for your take on the game.

I disagree with the "Young" take. We simply aren't inspired, don't go into a game with intensity and focus, regardless of the age of the players.
The scheme is suspect offensively.
Defense, FEEDS off fire and intensity. There was none today and thats a common theme for Sunbelt Billy.

Ive watched several games today. Big games in the SEC, these teams are HYPED!, to say the least.
Colorado fell behind early but dayuummm, The fire!, Intensity and will to win almost pulled off a huge upset.

I haven't seen that adrenalin twitch from a Napier team, in his entire tenure at Florida.

I'm done with this guy. As much as I was with Mac.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover, I love ya bro. Good to have you back!!
Thanks for your take on the game.

I disagree with the "Young" take. We simply aren't inspired, don't go into a game with intensity and focus, regardless of the age of the players.
The scheme is suspect offensively.
Defense, FEEDS off fire and intensity. There was none today and thats a common theme for Sunbelt Billy.

Ive watched several games today. Big games in the SEC, these teams are HYPED!, to say the least.
Colorado fell behind early but dayuummm, The fire!, Intensity and will to win almost pulled off a huge upset.

I haven't seen that adrenalin twitch from a Napier team, in his entire tenure at Florida.

I'm done with this guy. As much as I was with Mac.
We did it against UT. Why not UK?

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I think, The Team fed off the crowd. Nothing the staff did, nothing the coaches did, just the intensity of the crowd itself.
Which could explain the complete meltdown of the team on the road, and the lackluster performances against lesser talent, in the swamp.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Good write up cover!

You know Billy has put himself in a bind, if he’s worth retaining he will work his way out of it. All we can do is wait and see.

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
I 100% agree with what you are saying about physicality and younger guys. You would think with Billy's background, mindset, and offensive philosophy the one thing you would see in a Napier team is that they are physical. Maybe you could chalk it up to it being his second year and there has been a lot of turnover on the roster, meaning lack of depth to go that hard in practice.

Its an apples to oranges comparison but Bama, Georgia, and even Florida under year two of Meyer seen the hard nose toughness emerge.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Because UT might have a more retarded defensive staff than our offensive staff. The key to beating a Billy coached team is stacking the box and forcing us to throw consistently to beat you. Those who follow that blueprint beat us. Those who don't get the first half of the UT game.

Coincidentally, Coach Hambone tried the same approach we used for UT against Kentucky today and it blew up in his face. What was that approach you ask? He tried to win the battle at the LOS with an undermanned box. We were constantly left with 6 in the box against their 8, and it showed up on the stat line and in the end zone. By the time we adjusted, Kentucky already built a sizeable lead, much like we did against UT. Our game plan for Kentucky ironically should have mirrored theirs; stack the box and force an inconsistent passing game to beat us.

The UT game will continue to be the fool's gold that people point to as proof that the process is working, when in all reality it should be the warning sign that there are fundamental flaws on this team that goes way beyond the talent/ability of the players. Our offense trying to constantly establish the run against stacked boxes isn't a talent issue, it's a coaching issue.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
He mentioned the lack of physicality and it is not fitting with his type of football. A big reason his system is failing.

he definitely looks shell shocked in presser. As he should.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Because UT might have a more retarded defensive staff than our offensive staff. The key to beating a Billy coached team is stacking the box and forcing us to throw consistently to beat you. Those who follow that blueprint beat us. Those who don't get the first half of the UT game.

Coincidentally, Coach Hambone tried the same approach we used for UT against Kentucky today and it blew up in his face. What was that approach you ask? He tried to win the battle at the LOS with an undermanned box. We were constantly left with 6 in the box against their 8, and it showed up on the stat line and in the end zone. By the time we adjusted, Kentucky already built a sizeable lead, much like we did against UT. Our game plan for Kentucky ironically should have mirrored theirs; stack the box and force an inconsistent passing game to beat us.

The UT game will continue to be the fool's gold that people point to as proof that the process is working, when in all reality it should be the warning sign that there are fundamental flaws on this team that goes way beyond the talent/ability of the players. Our offense trying to constantly establish the run against stacked boxes isn't a talent issue, it's a coaching issue.
I’ll go a step beyond what you say and remark that Heupel is an O guy and his team is reflective of that. His gig is to simply outscore you, not necessarily stop you. Stoops is a D guy and his team is reflective of that. His over-arching goal is to keep you from moving up and down the field and scoring against him. It just so happens he’s found himself a pretty good OC, at least he was today. But recall Stoops was also famous for leaving receivers uncovered and losing games. Crazier things have happened, but he’s found a home in Kentucky and has his program in better shape than ours currently, which is a helluva thing to have to address! Still, I’m not willing to dismiss the UT win. There are facets of it that are transferable, particularly defensively, that have value.

I certainly agree that the plan to win against us starts with pressing the LOS to stop the run. Without a plan to attack with the pass, we’ll lose more than win for certain.

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll go a step beyond what you say and remark that Heupel is an O guy and his team is reflective of that. His gig is to simply outscore you, not necessarily stop you. Stoops is a D guy and his team is reflective of that. His over-arching goal is to keep you from moving up and down the field and scoring against him. It just so happens he’s found himself a pretty good OC, at least he was today. But recall Stoops was also famous for leaving receivers uncovered and losing games. Crazier things have happened, but he’s found a home in Kentucky and has his program in better shape than ours currently, which is a helluva thing to have to address! Still, I’m not willing to dismiss the UT win. There are facets of it that are transferable, particularly defensively, that have value.

I certainly agree that the plan to win against us starts with pressing the LOS to stop the run. Without a plan to attack with the pass, we’ll lose more than win for certain.
I'm not completely dismissing the UT win, but this was two years in a row now where the UT defensive staff went against what better defensive minds put on film as a way to stop our offense. You could excuse the UT staff for the first year Billy was here, but I'm having a hard time making a legitimate excuse for them this year.

As for Kentucky, they just simply have the better coaching staff. Stoops isn't doing anything at Kentucky he couldn't reproduce here as the coach, and he'd have better talent to work with to boot. It's frustrating to be in this position as a Gator, which is largely why I'm venting.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I recall a former player (Siler?) said he was down on the field prior to UT and the team was lackluster. Said he had to get them all rev'd up. We're lacking leadership.
:exactly:

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As a side note, I do hope you're feeling better, cover2, and thanks for taking the time to do a writeup still. It was a tall order given the mood of the board, but it's much appreciated.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good write up Cover2........

I don't disagree with anything you said. But Football is a complex and dynamic game and trying to reduce all the crap we are seeing down to a couple simple reasons is very, very hard to do.

I think those who only focus on play-calling and lack of discipline are wearing blinders..... And those who only see lack of emotion are missing other aspects also.

What I see as being the over-riding issue is Stubbornness! An unwillingness to put your players in the best position to win. Trying to fit a round peg into a square hole! Not designing schemes and plans based on what your players can or can't do. Saying, " my way is the only way!" Even Saban had to change his method, he recognized his offense was getting left behind so he hired Kiffin....... So far Billy is trying to be what Bama was 10 years ago without the benefit of Bama Talent! Even when our talent level improves, the system will still suck because Billy is too stubborn to change!

I like Billy the person and I think he is a great recruiter but he is not the Coach UF needs or deserves. ( He needs to change or go away!)

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As a side note, I do hope you're feeling better, cover2, and thanks for taking the time to do a writeup still. It was a tall order given the mood of the board, but it's much appreciated.
Thanks. I’m pretty washed out on the weekend after chemo on Fridays, but I try not to post while I’m on my dose of steroids. Best not to share the rage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.