Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Louisiana State

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I saw that too and was screaming mad

May not have changed the overall final result but at that point that was a huge call. Every week that gets called like clockwork on the other side of the field from the play much less the same side the ball goes to.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
May not have changed the overall final result but at that point that was a huge call. Every week that gets called like clockwork on the other side of the field from the play much less the same side the ball goes to.
It was a huge missed call. We likely score if it’s called and there’s no telling what happens after that. Maybe burrow starts rushing his throws? Maybe luck goes our way and the defense actually gets a turnover after being inspired by the offense? Someone predicted in the prediction thread that a turnover or two might be the difference - looks like they were right!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
There’s a narrative that Trask was moving the ball when EJ was put in in the 3rd qtr.
Trask had just gone 3&out with a sack. And then LSU scored quickly.
I suspect that EJ was put in as a change of pace and slow the game. Also EJ had a TD in his previous drive.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
There’s a narrative that Trask was moving the ball when EJ was put in in the 3rd qtr.
Trask had just gone 3&out with a sack. And then LSU scored quickly.
I suspect that EJ was put in as a change of pace and slow the game. Also EJ had a TD in his previous drive.
:exactly:

I pointed that out yesterday but it was glossed over because it didn’t support the narrative. The Trask drive before was the one that they called holding on first down and negated a great screen to Perine. Drive went nowhere after that, probably due to running up the middle on first and 20.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
:exactly:

I pointed that out yesterday but it was glossed over because it didn’t support the narrative. The Trask drive before was the one that they called holding on first down and negated a great screen to Perine. Drive went nowhere after that, probably due to running up the middle on first and 20.
Exactly. The run on first and 20 was Mullen giving up the drive. It was outrageous and fire-able.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I heard that same sentiment about Mac. Remember when he told the basketball crowd that he was going to kick the door down in Atlanta? :rotfl:
Well, the receivers were running around wide open and we were going to explode once we switched from LDR to Franks.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Exactly. The run on first and 20 was Mullen giving up the drive. It was outrageous and fire-able.
Was definitely a confusing call. I’m guessing he thought he could get a chunk as LSU hadn’t loaded the box but Perine went to dancing behind the line and got stuffed when no hole opened. Perine has definitely shown himself to be a receiving threat but I can’t wait for pierce to get back and start taking Perines carries.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So, Trask appears to be a decent, perhaps even good, pocket passer (certainly he is not particularly mobile, but has a fairly good arm). We have an OL that provides serviceable pass protection. We have some good receivers. Why, then, oh why doesn’t CDM call plays based upon those realities? Why not design the system around the personnel?
I think you and @ThreatMatrix answered this in following posts! Really, you've got to have a run game that you can call upon for a variety of reasons. No.1 for me would be that the D only has one leg of the offense to concern themselves if we can't/don't run it. They sit in 2 Deep Man/Under or Man/Free and rush with four or five. For a great deal of the second half, they only rushed four and our five OL guys had a heckuva time blocking them (e.g. our C got pushed on top of the QB about the time the snap got to him on a few occasions - this scenario also allowed a LB to jam or hold :) Pitts and disrupt his routes some, part of why he seemed to vanish in the second half). No. 2, the ability to run the ball on your opponent can be viewed as a show of superior strength and fortitude. TD passes hurt, but nowhere near as much as having the ball surgically extracted from your hind parts after the opponent has shoved it up there over and over. Establishing this part is a mental edge that can certainly be critical. Also, most runs are designed to get the backs into space with a head of steam and in a match up with a DB. No.3, when you need a yard (or six inches), you've got to be able to get a push to get it. Nothing pops a balloon like getting stuffed in these situations.

A lot of the preceding sounds like old school football thinking, and I guess maybe it is, but in spite of the emphasis on the passing part of offensive football, there'll always be a need for the run and therefore some balance. Maybe not 50/50 (though you'd be surprised how close it is in many games), but you can't get away from it, even if your OL is not good at it ;). While we're on the subject, I watched Mullen's Monday presser and he said something to the effect we rushed it a little better than we had. Didn't say he was satisfied by any means. Stats say we rushed 40 times for 146 and a 3.7 average per carry. It may be slightly better, but it's still just enough to get you beat! I'm not sure we (the fans) didn't fool ourselves into thinking that we were good enough to beat good teams without being able to run it. Until we can show otherwise, the better teams will find us easier to prepare for than one might think given our passing attack with a good QB and a great stable of receivers.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I think you and @ThreatMatrix answered this in following posts! Really, you've got to have a run game that you can call upon for a variety of reasons. No.1 for me would be that the D only has one leg of the offense to concern themselves if we can't/don't run it. They sit in 2 Deep Man/Under or Man/Free and rush with four or five. For a great deal of the second half, they only rushed four and our five OL guys had a heckuva time blocking them (e.g. our C got pushed on top of the QB about the time the snap got to him on a few occasions - this scenario also allowed a LB to jam or hold :) Pitts and disrupt his routes some, part of why he seemed to vanish in the second half). No. 2, the ability to run the ball on your opponent can be viewed as a show of superior strength and fortitude. TD passes hurt, but nowhere near as much as having the ball surgically extracted from your hind parts after the opponent has shoved it up there over and over. Establishing this part is a mental edge that can certainly be critical. Also, most runs are designed to get the backs into space with a head of steam and in a match up with a DB. No.3, when you need a yard (or six inches), you've got to be able to get a push to get it. Nothing pops a balloon like getting stuffed in these situations.

A lot of the preceding sounds like old school football thinking, and I guess maybe it is, but in spite of the emphasis on the passing part of offensive football, there'll always be a need for the run and therefore some balance. Maybe not 50/50 (though you'd be surprised how close it is in many games), but you can't get away from it, even if your OL is not good at it ;). While we're on the subject, I watched Mullen's Monday presser and he said something to the effect we rushed it a little better than we had. Didn't say he was satisfied by any means. Stats say we rushed 40 times for 146 and a 3.7 average per carry. It may be slightly better, but it's still just enough to get you beat! I'm not sure we (the fans) didn't fool ourselves into thinking that we were good enough to beat good teams without being able to run it. Until we can show otherwise, the better teams will find us easier to prepare for than one might think given our passing attack with a good QB and a great stable of receivers.

Don't disagree with anything you've said C2; our running game is a weakness. But I think people, including Dan Mullen, aren't focusing enough on the real culprit; our defense. LSwho ran and passed on us at will.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

I get it Ox. After we beat Auburn you had to spend the week telling the wife how Auburn was the best team in the country and LSU was crap, Burroughs was crap, and we'd blow LSU out. So against all logic you had us blowing them out. Must have been extra painful in the Bland household after the game. Your armchair QBing tho' is at a special level.
  • 1st & 10 at FLA 25
    (6:48 - 3rd) Trask, Kyle pass complete to Perine, Lamical for 27 yards to the LSU48, PENALTY FLORIDA holding 10 yards to the FLORIDA15, NO PLAY.

• 1st & 20 at FLA 15
    (6:25 - 3rd) Lamical Perine run for 1 yd to the Fla 16

• 2nd & 19 at FLA 16
    (5:58 - 3rd) Kyle Trask pass incomplete to Tyrie Cleveland

• 3rd & 19 at FLA 16
    (5:45 - 3rd) Kyle Trask sacked by Marcel Brooks for a loss of 8 yards to the Fla 8

• 4th & 27 at FLA 8
    (5:06 - 3rd) FLORIDA Penalty, Delay of Game (-4 Yards) to the Fla 4

• 4th & 31 at FLA 4
    (4:56 - 3rd) Tommy Townsend punt for 48 yds, fair catch by Derek Stingley Jr. at the LSU 48
First and 20 in your own ednzone, LSU showing blitz but Mullen is giving up the drive by handing off to Perine.
jlaw.gif

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Kind of like taking a timeout on 4th down and 12 when you are punting anyway and avoid the delay of game penalty just to save 5 yards early in the game

Bringing up game management decisions that even Pop Warner coaches would not make does not go over well here.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't disagree with anything you've said C2; our running game is a weakness. But I think people, including Dan Mullen, aren't focusing enough on the real culprit; our defense. LSwho ran and passed on us at will.
Without question. The lack of pressure on Burrow is somewhat understandable considering no Greenard and a limited Zuniga, but the DB play was not good. The TD given up by Henderson was embarrassing. A guy who's been mentioned as a possible first-rounder should never allow that to happen. We know our safeties are average to inconsistent. Poor tackling raised its head among this group once more. The LBs have somewhat avoided heavy scrutiny, but they were exposed and were definitely a factor in giving up 218 yards and 3 TDs on 24 carries (6 of which belonged to Burrow for 43 yards). We were most certainly not elite on this side of the ball in Baton Rouge.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
No pressure on Burrow all night is why we lost. Im not happy about some of the offensive play calling at the end of the game, and the bad throw by Trask when we could have tied up it hurt, but despite those things, we lost because our defense got absolutely no pressure on Burrow all night. His jersey was just as clean after the game as it was before. That is why we lost.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
First and 20 in your own ednzone, LSU showing blitz but Mullen is giving up the drive by handing off to Perine.
Only you would defend that play call. Literally, only you.

In the last 10 years needing 20 yards to get a first down would have finished the drive, period. Now this team can easily get 20 yards in 3 plays by PASSING the football. The call was inexcusable and defending it should get someone imprisoned at Pelican Bay.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
My biggest issue is with the OL is weak as it is, we need to be using the pass game to set up the run. I understand this goes against everything Mullen believes in but no one is scared of our running game and we have elite receivers...use them.

Also, some tempo would be nice. Not sure why we slowly walk up to the line and snap it with 8 seconds left when we need a quick score

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
No pressure on Burrow all night is why we lost. Im not happy about some of the offensive play calling at the end of the game, and the bad throw by Trask when we could have tied up it hurt, but despite those things, we lost because our defense got absolutely no pressure on Burrow all night. His jersey was just as clean after the game as it was before. That is why we lost.

There was one play on second down(Q3 I think) where we'd stopped them for a loss on !st, and then forced Burrows out of the pocket and there was literally no one there. He runs for like 20, goes out of bounds untouched. I really felt that drive, which netted a TD for them was a killer and maybe decided things. Against an O like that, you only get so many chances to force a 3-and-out. We had one, at a critical juncture, and failed.

Contrast that with the 1st and 20 drive that has some so up in arms, and that's the difference. They made the needed stops when they had to, and we didn't. Ftr, not my favorite call because it failed. But I'd tell you that about 80% of coaches would run the ball on a 1st and 20/3rd and 20 play. Maybe a draw would've been better, but the idea is to go against the grain of what they're expecting. And considering the basis behind the argument against that call is that our passing game was lights out, at worst it still gives us 2 downs(through the air) to pick it up. If we'd run it 3 plays there, yes, that's conceding. Trying to catch them flat footed and thinking pass is fine. It just didn't work.

theoriginalmadgator

Aug 16, 2019
We made several mistakes that would have made the game closer and perhaps a win for us. Trask missed a wide open receiver in the back of the end zone and missed the same throw earlier in the game. We missed a chip block by the back that destroyed a promising play. As always our run blocking and oline were serious issues, as is our front seven not being great. SC will be a real test, we should win but a loss would send the season in the wrong direction.

That chip block missed by Perine wasn't the only missed block he made that night.....he was horrible in pass protection all night

theoriginalmadgator

Aug 16, 2019
Agreed!! I think we are the best team in the East. Watching UGA (understanding it was a bad game for them, but also seeing bad games for them before this) I think we can retake the East this year. If we make it to the SECCG, we really don’t have a chance to win it, but we put out foot down in that place and come back next year to win.

Georgia definitely has more talent top to bottom on their roster but they are not light years ahead of us and we could certainly beat them on any given night....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator