Bits & Pieces: Florida vs Vanderbilt

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gators Get Back On Track With 38-14 Homecoming Victory Over Commodores!

…or

Meh, It Was Just Vandy!

Of, course, no real poll or option, quasi- or otherwise, would be complete without perennial favorite “ham sammich,” but you get the picture. On one hand, 495 total yds, 38 pts that covered the spread, 215 yds rushing after being shut down the previous week by UK, and Mertz throwing for 254 and 3 TDs could be cause for at least a sigh of relief if not a minor celebration. But on the other hand, last week’s juggernauts from Lexington got thoroughly pantsed in Athens last evening 51-13, surrendering 608 yds of offense to the Mutts. How’s that for a dose of perspective?

It becomes tiresome saying and hearing, particularly as our decade-plus thirst for the return to our rightful post among the SEC and the elite of college football’s elites has yet to be quenched, but we aren’t there, not really close yet, and it‘s going to take a game at a time approach of building and sustaining improvements to get there. But I find myself wanting to think like SOS used to and maybe “Meh, It Was Just Vandy” is appropriate. We used to always get by them, usually not in spectacular fashion, but then played really well against the next team. Could that be the trajectory upcoming against USCe next week? It would certainly make for the trend and storyline the Gators and Billy in particular need about now. Last week, I asked for us to put together back-to-back wins…well, the first step is in place.

Even though it was “just Vandy,” we showed a little more life and versatility offensively, the little jet sweeps to Tre Wilson was a nice addition and also identified another emerging playmaker. I can’t say that we went bananas stretching the field, but Mertz has found a good go-to guy in Boardingham and at least the short stuff to the flanks is getting in the hands of guys who can set up a block and/or make people miss for some good yardage. And it was good to get back on track rushing the ball, even without Etienne, as Montrell Johnson picked up 135 yds and a TD on 18 carries. Treyaun Webb added 70 on 4 touches and showed some pretty good speed and explosion. From that, you could say that the OL had a little better game from that perspective, but pass pro is still too shaky at times, even in max pro, and we seem to be compounding our problems and stalling drives with procedure and personal fouls (hands to the face, holding, etc.). We might beat Vandy with these mistakes, but not other teams looming ahead. The OL’s got to show steady progress this week with no backing up. A large task, but very necessary.

Defensively, If you take away two possessions, or really one play that went for a score and the other possession they scored right after we did, the defense would have had a nice afternoon. Billy kind of shook off the long ball that saw the Vandy receiver grab Marshall’s face mask and separate to the football, haul it in, and race to the end zone untouched with #3 jogging along behind. Should it have been offensive interference? Hell yeah, but welcome to Florida! Don’t lope along feeling sorry for yourself, bust your @ss trying to hawk him down! That’s the effort that needs to be on display, every play, every game! Hopefully that will be a learning point, among many, that becomes instilled in this green and still growing bunch. I get that Billy has got a lot of learning and growing to instill, but we’re at the halfway mark heading into the meat grinder, so finding a way to expedite and congeal much of the needed learning and growing is paramount for obvious reasons.

* If Mertz can stay healthy and the passing O expands even a bit at a time, we’ve got a chance in our remaining games. Of course the Dawgs are playing on another level right now and their QB seems to be hitting his stride, but you’ve got to expect us to show up for a big rival. But the others on the remaining SEC schedule aren’t exactly showing lock-down defenses. That begs the questions of can we move and score against them, but more importantly, can we stop them, at least once more than they stop us? I don’t know if that can be answered beyond one game at a time. There’s just not enough consistent evidence to go along with the current growth and any perceived potential just yet. Thus, the take it a game at a time approach. Feels a lot like the 70’s again in several respects.

* Was glad to see the tackling to be better and the Vandy run game held in check (64 yds rushing). Holding them 0/3 on 4th down conversions was a big stat for us. The LB play was better and we were able to get some pressure on their QB at times (2 sacks), but that’s going to have to improve each week if we’re going to have success. This is all reminding me of teaching our kids to ride their bikes. Still getting some skinned knees and pile-ups on the sidewalk, but the training wheels are off!

* Didn’t specifically keep up with Spec Teams gaffs, which have been an unfortunate theme, but can only recall @Zambo ’s “banana in the tailpipe” reference on the cover guys breaking down on the faircatch feint that allowed the ball to trickle in the end zone for a touchback instead of being downed potentially inside the ten. Yeah, could‘ve been handled better, but comparatively speaking, there didn’t seem to be the gaff-a-palooza we’ve been treated to previously. Kicking and punting right now is pretty solid and dependable and as long as we don’t back up from that, we’ve got a little advantage in one area.

* I really hope the smoke that’s trickling about an OC being added next season comes to fruition. I want to believe that UK was a big wake up in that regard, despite any perceived success in play calling/scheme against Vandy. In pressure situations and/or when things aren’t going according to plan, the tendency is to double down on what you do and who you are, e.g. run off tackle on 3rd and 9. Billy‘s got too many other things to attend to. Put the play calls in other hands is a priority upcoming.

Next up, the Cocks at Williams-Brice. Saturday in South Carolina with Rattler slinging it around and us looking for a consistent identity and a chance to string together back-to-back wins should be a challenge, but one we’ve got to be ready for on the road back to relevance. The road runs through it. Whatcha got Gators? What else…Beat those Cocks!

:chomp:

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The thing with this offense is that when we can grind forward with our rushing attack or even the little dink and dunk passing game, we can generate some fairly satisfying long drives for scores. The problem is that when you get behind in the score, or even just behind the sticks due to a penalty (which is still happening too frequently), we seemingly have zero ability to get any chunk yardage. Not that we don't even run any plays that result in big gains, it just seems that those always happen on first down or second and short.

Mertz, as someone (maybe ox) pointed out elsewhere, looks like two different qbs. A terrible pocket passer and a surprisingly accurate thrower on the run. He missed a few WFO receivers yesterday from the pocket that would have been huge gains or TDs. Between that and our O-line's poor blocking its easy to see why we don't have much of a middle or deep passing game. Imagine if you will, instead of a 'serviceable' QB back there we had a dude with not only a strong accurate arm but also the wheels to take off as a running threat....this exact same offense is twice as good. I'm glad we were able to get Mertz here to fill the gap at the QB position but really hoping Lagway or someone else shows up to put us into another gear.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
First game I have attended in about 3 years. Lots of empty seats but the enthusiasm was there. I saw some OLD ASS people there. I wanted to shake their hands and compliment them on their tenacity. Oddly enough many seemed to be on their own and many were women. Also saw some very rough looking gator fans and lots of college gals that had much ripped clothing or tops to reveal their womanly parts in the northern quadrant. Now to the gridiron clash. They gashed us on some long passes but the def. played well. But it was vandy and their best RB gashed us last week playing for UK. I have a confession here. I don't know if it is my age and lack of gator news from my old Gville Sun or the product on the field that makes me less of the fan I was. I had a good time, good seats but the level of excitement that Steve and urban even Dan at times brought to the offense just aint there. I will say this. From the team I saw LOTS OF enthusiasm and I like that. And from this coaching staff. We keep this incoming class intact and keep boys here (like Wilson and Ettiene ) we are gonna be more and more fun to watch............Mertz and Pearsal are warriors..................go gators.....

BeachGator

Mar 10, 2018
Good writeup, Cover. Yes, we are still in a learning process and need to show steady improvement, but maybe, just maybe we are beginning to see the light. Coming to Columbia is not going to be easy. Hopefully, the Gators can build on this past game against the commodores.
Go Gators.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Always good stuff @cover2 Cover.

I thought a bit and yeah, Meh, Vandy. But I went and looked at a couple of things this morning. The stats here are only updated prior to yesterday's game. But Vandy was #108 in total defense compared to USCe at #118. I see it a couple of ways. UF took care of it as they should and also it pretty much like you say Meh. Most of our games left are definitely winnable. Just, which team is going to show up? If these kids learned anything about getting bytch slapped like up at UK and grow from it, we can have some success on the road. The Cock's will be ready, just can these kids take a punch early and consistently?

But in all a good game, workman like, nothing super spectacular. But here we sit at 4-2, better than many thought. As you say, game to game. With a team this young and learning, it's all they can do to learn and build from it. Take the success and the punches in the face so far from the year and learn from it. Also, it wouldn't hurt if the staff and do some of that as well.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Good write up as always.

I didn’t get to see the whole game, but one of the most encouraging, sort of overlooked, series of plays was from Jakeem Jackson. Gives up the long pass to the 5, and then four plays later makes the critical pass break up on 4th down. As a Fr it would be very easy to get down on yourself and be rattled at least the rest of that possession or even the whole game. His bouncing back shows good mentality. It’s also a contrast from recent years where guys were getting beat because they simply weren’t great players. This was more Joe Haden 2007, imo. He will perhaps be our best corner in years and may be starting by the fsu game.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Good job Cover

Was nice to see our tight end contribute in a big way, some big time recruits there yesterday. Let’s finish this season out strong ,keep these guys in the fold and add a few more.
IMG_0828.jpeg

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the write up Cover, I had some obligations yesterday so I saw only small parts of the game.

I'm am so thrilled we won the game and won it handily with recruits at the game!!

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Good summary Cover.

It was a good win. Not real pretty but it did the job. Reminded me of an old guy I did business with in my younger days. I would always ask how is business, and he would answer. " Business is like sex, when it is good it is good. When it is bad it is still good" .
That is how I feel about beating Vandy, or anyone on our schedule.
I do not see many more wins especially on the road. I don t believe we are good enough to beat the good teams left on our schedule. We could steal one along the way but I think we will need to beat the Hogs and the Semis in the Swamp to get to 6-6. I keep waiting for us to open up the offense and throw the ball downfield with success. But I see more UK games where we get behind to good (not great teams) on the road and can never catch up. Our defense has athletes but largely under achieves , and cannot generate enough pressure to create turnovers for our young secondary,
We are what we appear to be . Nothing more, nothing less. 5-7 or 6-6.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks @cover2 another great analysis, as usual.

While it was encouraging to see the eventual outcome, I'm afraid that I'm going to need some medication to deal with all the sideways passing game stuff. We are dancing on the fine line of giving up a bunch of turnovers with the way we're pitching it so close to the line behind the QB. Between that and the OL not even knowing their own fricking snap count, and giving up a bunch of idiotic false start yards, I've just about developed a nervous twitch.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Next up, the Cocks at Williams-Brice. Saturday in South Carolina with Rattler slinging it around and us looking for a consistent identity and a chance to string together back-to-back wins should be a challenge, but one we’ve got to be ready for on the road back to relevance. The road runs through it. Whatcha got Gators? What else…Beat those Cocks!

:chomp:
Thank you!

If we do not win at SC, I do not see how we get to 7 wins. Four of our final six are on the road against teams that score 20+, then we have georgia at Jax and fsu at home. Unfortunately fsu looks like a pretty good team. Even if we win at SC, I don't see us faring well against the remaining 5 teams but to have a puncher's chance at 7, seems like we have to win next week.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good take on the game ------ Meh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics