Bits & Pieces: Florida vs Vanderbilt

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The reason the running game got back on track is because the OL didn’t play like complete crap. Kam Waites made a huge difference.

If we can get Barber and Waites as our tackles and Macczzua as LG, Leonard/George as RG, and Egauken at center - then we’ll be ok.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
The reason the running game got back on track is because the OL didn’t play like complete crap. Kam Waites made a huge difference.

If we can get Barber and Waites as our tackles and Macczzua as LG, Leonard/George as RG, and Egauken at center - then we’ll be ok.
George switched to the left side to make way for Waites.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
First game I have attended in about 3 years. Lots of empty seats but the enthusiasm was there. I saw some OLD ASS people there. I wanted to shake their hands and compliment them on their tenacity. Oddly enough many seemed to be on their own and many were women. Also saw some very rough looking gator fans and lots of college gals that had much ripped clothing or tops to reveal their womanly parts in the northern quadrant. Now to the gridiron clash. They gashed us on some long passes but the def. played well. But it was vandy and their best RB gashed us last week playing for UK. I have a confession here. I don't know if it is my age and lack of gator news from my old Gville Sun or the product on the field that makes me less of the fan I was. I had a good time, good seats but the level of excitement that Steve and urban even Dan at times brought to the offense just aint there. I will say this. From the team I saw LOTS OF enthusiasm and I like that. And from this coaching staff. We keep this incoming class intact and keep boys here (like Wilson and Ettiene ) we are gonna be more and more fun to watch............Mertz and Pearsal are warriors..................go gators.....
So … you’re saying you saw some boobs, eh?
smash GIF

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Most of the boobs I see are in here. But there were a few trying to escape at the game...........i was pulling for them to get away.........

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Most of the boobs I see are in here. But there were a few trying to escape at the game...........i was pulling for them to get away.........
Those dudes are often unsteady on their feet, one little "accidental" bump and you could have seen them spill out for you.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I keep waiting for us to open up the offense and throw the ball downfield with success.
When we’ve tried to go downfield, Mertz either misses the throw, misses the read, or doesn’t trust himself and checks down.

The only way to improve that is to practice it a ton and it’s pretty clear they don’t.

Still, he’s pretty effective in that 10-15 yard range and can hit guys in stride, generating YAC. That loosens things up a bit, but it’s hard to live on nearly perfect 75-yard drives.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

It does seem like the last few years the girls at games are showing a lot more skin the past few years than I remember. Last year there was a girl walking in front of us with just a thong on, with like a 3-4 inch “skirt” that barely covered the whale tail.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is relatively minor overall but another ongoing special teams issue is the fair catch.
What ever happened to the rule of thumb regarding the ten yard line?

Vandy gets the ball on the opening possession of the game, gets a couple of first downs and then punts to Pearsall standing on the ten yard line.
Ricky then drifts back to the five yard line and fields a fair catch versus letting the ball go into the end zone. Can’t blame this on youth since Ricky is probably the oldest player on the team.

This offense doesn’t need to increase the degree of difficulty of sacrificing twenty yards of field position.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll say this, I think on offense we are actually pretty close. We are sorely lacking depth. We are building depth at WR with this class. I can’t help but think that Wilson in the UK game changes things. He adds an extra dimension.

We still need to prepare better for the road, but I really think depth and better OL recruiting can get us real close. Billy still should hire an OC.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
This is relatively minor overall but another ongoing special teams issue is the fair catch.
What ever happened to the rule of thumb regarding the ten yard line?

Vandy gets the ball on the opening possession of the game, gets a couple of first downs and then punts to Pearsall standing on the ten yard line.
Ricky then drifts back to the five yard line and fields a fair catch versus letting the ball go into the end zone. Can’t blame this on youth since Ricky is probably the oldest player on the team.

This offense doesn’t need to increase the degree of difficulty of sacrificing twenty yards of field position.
I agree with you in the main, and we've actually been pretty good about the "10 yard line rule" this year, but that one was basically right in front of me (from the side view) and I actually think him fielding it at the 7 (not 5, relatively speaking a big difference) saved us from starting on the 1 or 2 yard line given the trajectory and where the Vandy players were. I do not think that ball would have crossed the goal line if he let it hit at the 7

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I agree with you in the main, and we've actually been pretty good about the "10 yard line rule" this year, but that one was basically right in front of me (from the side view) and I actually think him fielding it at the 7 (not 5, relatively speaking a big difference) saved us from starting on the 1 or 2 yard line given the trajectory and where the Vandy players were. I do not think that ball would have crossed the goal line if he let it hit at the 7
And that’s really something you have to trust your punt returner to do. Sometimes he’ll be wrong, but you’ll just have to live with that.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
When we’ve tried to go downfield, Mertz either misses the throw, misses the read, or doesn’t trust himself and checks down.

The only way to improve that is to practice it a ton and it’s pretty clear they don’t.

Still, he’s pretty effective in that 10-15 yard range and can hit guys in stride, generating YAC. That loosens things up a bit, but it’s hard to live on nearly perfect 75-yard drives.
Right. Maybe they do practice the long plays and Mertz is just that bad. But you might then ask, why did the staff choose him? I would rather see us go 3 and out occasionally trying long pass plays than three and out running the ball third and 7. What's the difference?

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Right. Maybe they do practice the long plays and Mertz is just that bad. But you might then ask, why did the staff choose him? I would rather see us go 3 and out occasionally trying long pass plays than three and out running the ball third and 7. What's the difference?
Have you read the rules on interceptions and run backs?

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This game played out exactly what I expected.

USCe is a scary game, only because it's on the roads. They have no running game and if we pressure ghost-boy, we win easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator