Bourbon and Booze

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I haven't told this story in awhile, so I'll type it now, and it confirms your story for me...

I got my consulting job through the guy who wrote the book for Junior Military Officers transitioning to civilian jobs because I emailed him a question. The job, and the guy, were in Marin County, California. He was a HUGE wine guy to the point that 1/3rd of his house in San Anselmo was actually a bonded winery (something like that). He had a source for Russian River old vine grapes (from Italians that had planted when they emigrated to Cali 100 years ago). He had a group of amazing people from lowly me up to a Cali Supreme Court Justice that would go help pick the grapes, come back to his place, do the crush, then he'd ferment into Port and Red Zin, then we'd bottle with him, then he'd do a big cookout for all of us in his yard. They had a game for this dinner, and these people were true "wine nuts." The game was, "bring the best bottle of CHEAP wine" and it was all amazing wine. There was one bottle of Red Zin that was phenomenal, and it was $7/bottle. That's when I learned to read labels and the difference between "bottled by", "vinted by"... and everything in between. Turns out, for this $7 stuff (that they all loved), you can go out, buy an odd lot of say 3000 gallons that a big house can't use for a run at $2/gallon, buy some bottles, get a nice label, bottle it, and sell it for $7 (eventually climbed to $12 due to popularity). It was great wine, not because it was cheap and good enough, but because it was good and tasted good.

I've always been a "trust your taste" guy... I'm NOT going to like your wine, vodka, or anything else, just because it's $50+ bottle and I'm supposed to say, "Wow! That's good!" when in fact it tastes like bad, homeless, ass! ;)
I suppose we should let it go that you know what bad, homeless ass tastes like. On another note, is there another kind homeless ass other than bad?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
So bought Larceny today. I like it. Strong spice to it but not an overpowering bourbon. Not may favorite but I am glad I tried it. I think I have seen it discussed here but what do you guys think?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
So bought Larceny today. I like it. Strong spice to it but not an overpowering bourbon. Not may favorite but I am glad I tried it. I think I have seen it discussed here but what do you guys think?

I tried some yesterday evening. I got the spice too, which is odd for a wheated bourbon. I'd drink it again...but I like others better.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@alcoholica , whats your opinion on Makers 46? I just finished a pint of it and like it quite a bit.
It’s alright. Been a while since I drank it. Definitely a step up from the original. Really want to try their 101. Seems like they get better with proof.

definitely better bourbons for cheaper, but $35 or under is not bad in this day and age. Maker’s gets a bad rap, I just think it’s been priced too high. Now that Suntori is pulling the sales push, it’s in the low $20’s rather than high $20’s. Still better bourbons out there, but $20 is reasonable for regular Makers. 46 should really be in the $28 range.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Tried Russell’s 10 Year Reserve. Not bad. Got it on sale for upper 20s (can not remember exactly, bought it a few weeks ago) and really enjoyed it. Not sure I would pay $39 (what it is generally around here) but would buy at sale price again.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tried Russell’s 10 Year Reserve. Not bad. Got it on sale for upper 20s (can not remember exactly, bought it a few weeks ago) and really enjoyed it. Not sure I would pay $39 (what it is generally around here) but would buy at sale price again.

I like the 10 yr, but there’s too much oak and char for me. I’ll either let it oxidize or mix it with some 101. Or my favorite thing to do is drink oaky bourbons after I drink barrel proof. The barrel proof numbs the receptors and usually oak is one that gets numbed out

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I am enjoying a dram of 10 year old Talisker single malt scotch this evening to unwind after driving from Ocala to Greenville SC today. Smoky and peaty, one of my favorites. Very nice, very satisfying, very relaxing.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I like the 10 yr, but there’s too much oak and char for me. I’ll either let it oxidize or mix it with some 101. Or my favorite thing to do is drink oaky bourbons after I drink barrel proof. The barrel proof numbs the receptors and usually oak is one that gets numbed out
Sounds suspiciously like... well, you know. ;)

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Picked this pair up on sale. Pretty stoked. Haven’t tried either but I hear good things.
If you don't mind me asking, how much were they? I'm still learning what bourbons I like, but trying to stay in a certain price range.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
The blind taste tests are pretty enlightening. If they are not blind they are just advertising.

That said, everyone’s taste differ, do you like the spice from rye, the cleansing of high proof, smoother wheated etc

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Picked this pair up on sale. Pretty stoked. Haven’t tried either but I hear good things.

I find EC Small Batch to be one of the most unique tasting bourbons that I’ve ever had in that price range. I think you’ll like it.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I find EC Small Batch to be one of the most unique tasting bourbons that I’ve ever had in that price range. I think you’ll like it.
It's funny you say that, because most people call EC, along with Buffalo Trace, quintessential classic bourbon. Just funny how can people's tastes can differ.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The blind taste tests are pretty enlightening. If they are not blind they are just advertising.

That said, everyone’s taste differ, do you like the spice from rye, the cleansing of high proof, smoother wheated etc
true, people just need to be aware when they drink bourbons in succession, that the prior bourbon can affect the taste of the bourbon they are drinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb