Bourbon and Booze

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
You're comparing something that's 84pf to something that's 116pf and you want to compare "smoothness"?

ee1df3402375f972aae4ddf7521f047e.gif
Honestly, caught that after my post. I’ll punish myself... with another round of WT.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I hate to put this out there for fear I won't be able to find any in the near future....

If you get a chance, pick up a bottle of Wilderness Trail Wheated Bourbon. Bottled in Bond, Single Barrel. Its about 45.00 and worth every dang penny as far as I'm concerned. This stuff may have displaced Angel's Envy from the top spot in my drink list. Maybe. It will be a tough fight either way.

I hear their Rye and Small Batch bourbon (non wheated) is just as good or better. I'm sticking with the single barrel wheat. To quote Ron Simmons....Damn....

wilderness-trail-bourbon-shot.jpg

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hate to put this out there for fear I won't be able to find any in the near future....

If you get a chance, pick up a bottle of Wilderness Trail Wheated Bourbon. Bottled in Bond, Single Barrel. Its about 45.00 and worth every dang penny as far as I'm concerned. This stuff may have displaced Angel's Envy from the top spot in my drink list. Maybe. It will be a tough fight either way.

I hear their Rye and Small Batch bourbon (non wheated) is just as good or better. I'm sticking with the single barrel wheat. To quote Ron Simmons....Damn....

This stuff is great and they are supposed to rapidly expanding. Their rye is cask strength and awesome. Wasn't as big a fan of their rye bourbon, but it's still good. Trust me, this bourbon isn't some secret. Very popular in KY along with New Riff.

Want something not super popular yet? Try Woodinville

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I don’t get the love for Angels Envy, but hot sauce probably burned out my tasters.. ;) always just thought it was average. But probably why there is more than one noice. Haha.

now I need to go to the store

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This stuff is great and they are supposed to rapidly expanding. Their rye is cask strength and awesome. Wasn't as big a fan of their rye bourbon, but it's still good. Trust me, this bourbon isn't some secret. Very popular in KY along with New Riff.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on New Riff. My wife surprised me with a bottle of it a few months back and I thought it was very average. I‘ve learned in this thread I may not have the best palette when it comes to whiskey. But it seemed like the $50 price point was high to me. What’s your take?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018

Ive heard good things about Woodinville. Some folks on a whisky fb page have been touting it. They have it in the stores up here. Can't bribe anyone for a sniff of Blantons or anything by Buffalo Trace. Not even Wellers.

As soon as Castle and Key release their first batch I'll look to pick up some of that.

Folks in NC aren't able to find Wilderness Trail at all...said the ABC stores there don't even know what it is. Crazy stuff.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting to hear your thoughts on New Riff. My wife surprised me with a bottle of it a few months back and I thought it was very average. I‘ve learned in this thread I may not have the best palette when it comes to whiskey. But it seemed like the $50 price point was high to me. What’s your take?
Well your palate may not be the issue. People like what they like.

I like most bourbon, except those with pronounced licorice profiles and general crap stock.

I've never had the bottled in bond New Riff, but I've had at least 4 different single barrel tastings. Loved them all. The bottle i bought took a significant amount of time to open up. Initially very hot with tons of cinnamon, ethanol, and green peanuts. But after it opened up, layered sweetness, cherry, almonds, with some rye spice.

Their single barrels give great variety around a flavor wheel though. One sample I had tasted like one of those buttermints at a restaurant on the entry. Another one was real fruity, and another one had hints of leather.

Definitely one you have to let open up and try again over time. People tend to love it because it is well crafted, diverse, and only 4 yrs old, so there is some love for its potential with further aging. Also, the trend is that the more whiskey you try, you tend to shade more towards rye. So the higher rye content may be something you have to ease into. Also, I got my single barrels for less than $40 in KY, so I'm not complaining.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ive heard good things about Woodinville. Some folks on a whisky fb page have been touting it. They have it in the stores up here. Can't bribe anyone for a sniff of Blantons or anything by Buffalo Trace. Not even Wellers.

As soon as Castle and Key release their first batch I'll look to pick up some of that.

Folks in NC aren't able to find Wilderness Trail at all...said the ABC stores there don't even know what it is. Crazy stuff.
I personally think Buffalo Trace and Blanton's are overrated. Not bad, but there is a ton of heat on them. I personally think Blanton's may be one of the most overrated bourbons on the market, but I do like Buffalo Trace as a buy for under $25. However, I think Eagle Rare is a must get at $30.

If you like some rye notes, catch some Wild Turkey 101. If not, try some Evan Williams white label. Two of the best bargains in bourbon. Never tried BT and EW White side by side, but I have 101 and BT, and 101 smoked it in my opinion. Still BT is a real solid bourbon.

Don't sleep on the staples, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, etc. The new Four Roses Small Batch Select is nice at the price, but wish it was cheaper.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Another vote for Wilderness Trail. It's really good!

I'm currently enjoying a bottle of George T. Stagg.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I personally think Buffalo Trace and Blanton's are overrated. Not bad, but there is a ton of heat on them. I personally think Blanton's may be one of the most overrated bourbons on the market, but I do like Buffalo Trace as a buy for under $25. However, I think Eagle Rare is a must get at $30.

If you like some rye notes, catch some Wild Turkey 101. If not, try some Evan Williams white label. Two of the best bargains in bourbon. Never tried BT and EW White side by side, but I have 101 and BT, and 101 smoked it in my opinion. Still BT is a real solid bourbon.

Don't sleep on the staples, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, etc. The new Four Roses Small Batch Select is nice at the price, but wish it was cheaper.

Agree with everything here, but I do like Blanton’s just not for the price point.

WT 101 is very underrated in my opinion. Good clean taste without the sweetness

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Well your palate may not be the issue. People like what they like.
Alcoholica is right on the money with this statement. I mentioned this once in the wine thread, but I once had a conversation with well-known wine critic Robert Parker and I have never forgotten a piece of advice he gave me: Trust your own taste. If you like it, it's good. Don't worry about what someone else thinks about it. Above I read how @G8trwood is not impressed with Angel's Envy. I have heard that from others as well, but I happen to like it as do others I know. I regularly drink Larceny which I think is a great value for the money. I have no doubt others on here will think it's crud. I also find I like things differently at different times. Years ago, my in laws gave me a bottle of Glenlivet Archive, a 21 year old single malt. I have always enjoyed single malt scotch and this one was exceptional. I drink it sparingly and still have half a bottle left. I had a glass the other night and for whatever reason, it did not seem all that good. Que Sera, sera.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Another vote for Wilderness Trail. It's really good!

I'm currently enjoying a bottle of George T. Stagg.

First, fcck you. Second, nice get, I’m just jealous.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Alcoholica is right on the money with this statement. I mentioned this once in the wine thread, but I once had a conversation with well-known wine critic Robert Parker and I have never forgotten a piece of advice he gave me: Trust your own taste. If you like it, it's good. Don't worry about what someone else thinks about it. Above I read how @G8trwood is not impressed with Angel's Envy. I have heard that from others as well, but I happen to like it as do others I know. I regularly drink Larceny which I think is a great value for the money. I have no doubt others on here will think it's crud. I also find I like things differently at different times. Years ago, my in laws gave me a bottle of Glenlivet Archive, a 21 year old single malt. I have always enjoyed single malt scotch and this one was exceptional. I drink it sparingly and still have half a bottle left. I had a glass the other night and for whatever reason, it did not seem all that good. Que Sera, sera.
Oxidation can be a bitch. If you are drinking a bottle sparingly. Consider gassing with something like wine preserver. The lower the bottle, the quicker the oxidation. You can also do transfers to smaller bottles to reduce headspace.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
First, fcck you. Second, nice get, I’m just jealous.
I popped it for my 50th birthday. I came across a couple bottles of George T. Stagg last year at a small premium to retail but far less than what they go for in the secondary market. I jumped.

My review: The smell is great, it smells like what bourbon should be. Rich with notes of caramel and some spice. First taste was super hot at first. Lots of cherries and despite the heat it finished smooth. I had another glass and sealed it up for a month. My glass the other night was better, it needed to oxidize a bit I guess.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I haven't told this story in awhile, so I'll type it now, and it confirms your story for me...

I got my consulting job through the guy who wrote the book for Junior Military Officers transitioning to civilian jobs because I emailed him a question. The job, and the guy, were in Marin County, California. He was a HUGE wine guy to the point that 1/3rd of his house in San Anselmo was actually a bonded winery (something like that). He had a source for Russian River old vine grapes (from Italians that had planted when they emigrated to Cali 100 years ago). He had a group of amazing people from lowly me up to a Cali Supreme Court Justice that would go help pick the grapes, come back to his place, do the crush, then he'd ferment into Port and Red Zin, then we'd bottle with him, then he'd do a big cookout for all of us in his yard. They had a game for this dinner, and these people were true "wine nuts." The game was, "bring the best bottle of CHEAP wine" and it was all amazing wine. There was one bottle of Red Zin that was phenomenal, and it was $7/bottle. That's when I learned to read labels and the difference between "bottled by", "vinted by"... and everything in between. Turns out, for this $7 stuff (that they all loved), you can go out, buy an odd lot of say 3000 gallons that a big house can't use for a run at $2/gallon, buy some bottles, get a nice label, bottle it, and sell it for $7 (eventually climbed to $12 due to popularity). It was great wine, not because it was cheap and good enough, but because it was good and tasted good.

I've always been a "trust your taste" guy... I'm NOT going to like your wine, vodka, or anything else, just because it's $50+ bottle and I'm supposed to say, "Wow! That's good!" when in fact it tastes like bad, homeless, ass! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.