Bourbon and Booze

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I believe this can only be found in Tennessee. It can’t be shipped here, and I think the only way I can get it is to have a big rig with a black Trans Am blocker bring some to Denver in 28 hours.

If you are in Tennessee, or somehow find this in a local shop...do not walk..run and buy all of it you can. It’s very small batch and I don’t know that he made much after his 8yr and 12yr batches.

upload_2020-8-30_11-4-33.png

BTW - I liked the 8 yr better than the 12 yr, but that’s a personal preference.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I believe this can only be found in Tennessee. It can’t be shipped here, and I think the only way I can get it is to have a big rig with a black Trans Am blocker bring some to Denver in 28 hours.

If you are in Tennessee, or somehow find this in a local shop...do not walk..run and buy all of it you can. It’s very small batch and I don’t know that he made much after his 8yr and 12yr batches.

BTW - I liked the 8 yr better than the 12 yr, but that’s a personal preference.

yeah, tough to find. Not sure who made it for him.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
This is easily one of the best craft vodkas around and can't beat the price (usually $15-20 at most FL liquor stores).

Made in St Pete from FL spring water and corn, with a sweet aftertaste. Drinking now to celebrate the Tampa Bay Lighting Stanley Cup victory (also had post-Gator victory this Saturday).

Highly recommended.
20200928_231554.jpg

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
This is easily one of the best craft vodkas around and can't beat the price (usually $15-20 at most FL liquor stores).

Made in St Pete from FL spring water and corn, with a sweet aftertaste. Drinking now to celebrate the Tampa Bay Lighting Stanley Cup victory (also had post-Gator victory this Saturday).

Highly recommended.
Thanks for the recommendation. I like Tito's a lot but always looking for local hooch.

St Augustine Gin is pretty good as well for a home grown product.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Thanks for the recommendation. I like Tito's a lot but always looking for local hooch.

St Augustine Gin is pretty good as well for a home grown product.

Being a native Texan, Tito's will always have a place in my selection; but have to admit: this is better. Buy a bottle and see for yourself!

Second the St. Augustine distillery--I live in Jax and that's a really good local(ish) spot. As good of a beer town as Jax is, we don't have a ton of good spirits options. Manifest Distillery is ok and has a few good ones, but would never say they're elite.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015

Highly recommended.
I remember made in Florida Vodka from the 70’s. You would shake it and it looked like a snow globe as everything settled... maybe Winter Haven??

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember made in Florida Vodka from the 70’s. You would shake it and it looked like a snow globe as everything settled... maybe Winter Haven??
There's a Florida Distillers down at Lake Alfred I think, maybe they made it

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Best Bourbons in the $60ish price range. Used the G'ville Total Wine for pricing.

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel - it's just so damn good. Store picks are usually phenomenal if the store has anyone worth a damn picking the barrel. Just try it.

Belle Meade Reserve - Cask strength and basically MGP juice, but worth a try. Used to be able to find for $50 from time to time.

Wilderness Trail - more expensive in FL than some other states, but still worth the price.

Old Forester 1920 - 115pf of pure deliciousness. Not a Brown Forman fan, but this is outstanding.

Four Roses Small Batch Select - would prefer this one come in around $45, but still worth it, and easily may favorite from the year round line.

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit - a stretch for me at $60, but sure beats the **** out of Blanton's

Rebel Yell 10 yr Single Barrel - seasonal and ok to come by, but this may be one of the better wheaters out there for the price.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof - easily the best in this price range, but distributors are starting to dick over the independents on price. If you can find for $70 or less, I highly recommend. If you aren't into high proof, buy it anyway and keep on hand in case you decide to not be a pussy

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
So I found this tucked away in an obscure corner of a Kroger liquors. It appears to be white dog PBR. No...I did not buy it. Nope. Big ole bag of nope.

20210501_163816.jpg

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
How in the hell did he pull that off?? I didn't think they sold individual barrels to the public.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Instead I picked up the barrel proof 9 yr Knob Creek. Its gonna be a tussle finishing this one. Its...fierce.

So the Knob Creek Single Barrel is 120pf...not technically barrel proof. Although, many of the barrel picks I hear about only have to be watered down 8pts or less. If you run across the Knob Creek 25th anniversary, they are legit barrel proof bottles. I believe there is also a 12yr cask strength limited edition Knob Creek released last year. Never could find it.

Regardless, the off the shelf single barrel used to be a best buy. It was around $40 and just a great bottle, but everything is going up now.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How in the hell did he pull that off?? I didn't think they sold individual barrels to the public.
So, it's the three tier system. They are actually selling it to a distributor, who is then selling to a retailer. They all have their own arrangements with someone, because that's how the gift shop works at all the distilleries.

Before the boom, barrels could be purchased pretty readily. From my understanding, Buffalo Trace wants you to work your way up. So buy a barrel of Buffalo Trace, then Weller Antique, then Eagle Rare, etc. But now everything is just bat sh1t crazy. More than likely, if that is a personal barrel, he knows someone fairly high up, or he's bought before. Barrel's of Blanton's don't happen easily. Although, it could be as simple as he was on a list and his name came up.

I read an article about Eagle Rare a few years back. Talked about the process of picking a barrel. At the end, they offered to send the barrel to Corazon Tequila to age a barrel for him, if he wanted to purchase. How cool is that, using the same barrel for both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb