Bourbon and Booze

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@alcoholica , That's some great information there! Thank you for passing that info along to me...I had no idea. Learned something new!!
You have to be careful with Jim Beam special editions. Basil Hayden special editions have flopped and the Knob Creek 15 y/o and vintage editions (labeled w/year) have flopped.

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
So, it's the three tier system. They are actually selling it to a distributor, who is then selling to a retailer. They all have their own arrangements with someone, because that's how the gift shop works at all the distilleries.

Before the boom, barrels could be purchased pretty readily. From my understanding, Buffalo Trace wants you to work your way up. So buy a barrel of Buffalo Trace, then Weller Antique, then Eagle Rare, etc. But now everything is just bat sh1t crazy. More than likely, if that is a personal barrel, he knows someone fairly high up, or he's bought before. Barrel's of Blanton's don't happen easily. Although, it could be as simple as he was on a list and his name came up.

I read an article about Eagle Rare a few years back. Talked about the process of picking a barrel. At the end, they offered to send the barrel to Corazon Tequila to age a barrel for him, if he wanted to purchase. How cool is that, using the same barrel for both.

Great insight, and it never hurts when you are “related” to someone who’s high up in the company!

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great insight, and it never hurts when you are “related” to someone who’s high up in the company!
Is that the case?

to be fair, I don’t know what’s available in their barrel program. I know Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Weller Antique and Blanton’s. Not sure beyond that.

if you have a local liquor store that gets barrel picks, make sure they actually pick the barrel. Some store just want a “store pick” and let the distillery pick. Higher failure rate on those.

I trust Dorn’s in G’ville on store picks. They are almost always better than the regular label. But I know I’ll never get that honey barrel bottle from them. They tend to slide more to approachable at the expense of flavor. But still really good picks. And that’s what you’ll notice about stores, they’ll have a reliable picking style.

There are also stores who’ll go off profile for picks just to be different and others will try to stay on profile with better picks.

I really like a good store pick.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Is that the case?

to be fair, I don’t know what’s available in their barrel program. I know Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Weller Antique and Blanton’s. Not sure beyond that.

if you have a local liquor store that gets barrel picks, make sure they actually pick the barrel. Some store just want a “store pick” and let the distillery pick. Higher failure rate on those.

I trust Dorn’s in G’ville on store picks. They are almost always better than the regular label. But I know I’ll never get that honey barrel bottle from them. They tend to slide more to approachable at the expense of flavor. But still really good picks. And that’s what you’ll notice about stores, they’ll have a reliable picking style.

There are also stores who’ll go off profile for picks just to be different and others will try to stay on profile with better picks.

I really like a good store pick.
Gainesville Liquors got a pretty nice store pick of Knob Creek. I grabbed a bottle a month or so ago and picked another up when we went up for move out last week. 120 proof, a little burn, vanilla, a touch of cinnamon with that Beam peanut aftertaste thing. Definitely worth a try at $56ish a bottle, but they didn't have much left. Seems to be a good outfit, they have a nice store and a nice selection.

Gator Liquors didn't have anything except an overpriced bottle of ECBP. I didn't go by Dorn's.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gainesville Liquors got a pretty nice store pick of Knob Creek. I grabbed a bottle a month or so ago and picked another up when we went up for move out last week. 120 proof, a little burn, vanilla, a touch of cinnamon with that Beam peanut aftertaste thing. Definitely worth a try at $56ish a bottle, but they didn't have much left. Seems to be a good outfit, they have a nice store and a nice selection.

Gator Liquors didn't have anything except an overpriced bottle of ECBP. I didn't go by Dorn's.
It’s bad for liquor in G’ville. Most independents are Indian and they like to push up the prices.

it’s hard to get a bad pick of KC. I have a couple KC Rye picks from Fred Noe that are really good, as you’d expect.

different labels have different levels of success. KC and Russell’s picks tend to be hard to pick poorly. Elijah Craig picks and Buffalo Trace picks can get wonky to the point that the standard batch offer is far superior.

Rule of thumb is the higher the proof the less variance. Mainly because you’re adding less water.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
It’s bad for liquor in G’ville. Most independents are Indian and they like to push up the prices.

it’s hard to get a bad pick of KC. I have a couple KC Rye picks from Fred Noe that are really good, as you’d expect.

different labels have different levels of success. KC and Russell’s picks tend to be hard to pick poorly. Elijah Craig picks and Buffalo Trace picks can get wonky to the point that the standard batch offer is far superior.

Rule of thumb is the higher the proof the less variance. Mainly because you’re adding less water.
We have the Patel cartel down here too. They've entered insanity mode at this point with anything allocated. I can get almost anything I want in Palm Beach County if I am willing to pay. But the markups are absolutely crazy. An old white guy owns 2 stores I get some stuff from. He's hit or miss on pricing, sometimes it's ok and other times he's battling the Cartel with his ludicrous numbers.

All the ECBP I've had is a solid 8. I'd say the KC pick is equal to those, maybe with a thinner mouthfeel. Not the best I've had but damn sure worth the $ at the insane prices I see today.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We have the Patel cartel down here too. They've entered insanity mode at this point with anything allocated. I can get almost anything I want in Palm Beach County if I am willing to pay. But the markups are absolutely crazy. An old white guy owns 2 stores I get some stuff from. He's hit or miss on pricing, sometimes it's ok and other times he's battling the Cartel with his ludicrous numbers.

All the ECBP I've had is a solid 8. I'd say the KC pick is equal to those, maybe with a thinner mouthfeel. Not the best I've had but damn sure worth the $ at the insane prices I see today.
I absolutely love ECBP, but it has recently been getting a huge price bump. Not near as good a value

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Was “forced” to consume a flight of single barrel picks last night. Woodford double oak, Old Forrester and Buffalo Trace. First time trying an OF, it was surprisingly smooth for the proof. Thought the BT was a solid meh, but the boss lady liked it the best.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Was “forced” to consume a flight of single barrel picks last night. Woodford double oak, Old Forrester and Buffalo Trace. First time trying an OF, it was surprisingly smooth for the proof. Thought the BT was a solid meh, but the boss lady liked it the best.
As good as Buffalo Trace products are...they are the most hyped distillery. Buffalo Trace is a quintessential bourbon from a flavor profile. In other words, just a generic bourbon profile...good quality flavors, but it is just meh.

I have not had the opportunity to find any OF store picks, and historically I haven't been a Brown Foreman fan. However, I do really like the double oaked Woodford Reserve, and OF 100 is one of my best value bourbons (if you can find under $25). The OF 1920 is also a best value of mine at $60 and under.

What was the proof on the OF? I think they have new barrel proof picks now, and increased the regular from 90 to 100pf.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
As good as Buffalo Trace products are...they are the most hyped distillery. Buffalo Trace is a quintessential bourbon from a flavor profile. In other words, just a generic bourbon profile...good quality flavors, but it is just meh.

I have not had the opportunity to find any OF store picks, and historically I haven't been a Brown Foreman fan. However, I do really like the double oaked Woodford Reserve, and OF 100 is one of my best value bourbons (if you can find under $25). The OF 1920 is also a best value of mine at $60 and under.

What was the proof on the OF? I think they have new barrel proof picks now, and increased the regular from 90 to 100pf.
It was 100

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was 100
Heard good things about the new picks. If you liked the OF then I’d definitely recommend trying the regular OF 100.

also, I’ve been told that the Woodford picks are a blend of at least two barrels, because the Master Distiller doesn’t want to offer single barrels of it at all...go figure. But if you’re in that part of KY go for the tour where you taste the whiskey at each point of the process. You actually get to try straight from the barrel and it’s fantastic bourbon

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

This is some tasty stuff. I go to it when angels envy isn't available.
Used to b able to get it for $30. Not sure now

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yea they are based in Seattle...I think they poached their master distiller from Makers.
If they did, they did Maker's a favor. Maker's hired Denny Potter away from Heaven Hill a couple years ago, and he was great. In fact, since he's been at Maker's they started the wood finishing series, Maker's 101, so it's turned out well for Maker's.

All that said, Woodinville was a pleasant surprise for me.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
BIL collects bourbon and has so many of the Makers Mark special edition bottles from UK and Keeneland. Here’s a photo of his basement wall.

3CF8F0FD-3230-432C-B3F4-5CE927196434.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb