Bourbon and Booze

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by alcoholica, Nov 23, 2017.

1. alcoholica

alcoholica I'm what Willis was talking about
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $7,576
    Ratings:
    +15,581 / -688
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not so much a rye drinker as I am a rye/bourbon drinker vs. wheated bourbon. I like Basil Hayden's okay. It's a little light on the proof for me. If you like higher rye whiskey's, check out the Four Rose's Small Batch and single barrel editions. Their store picks are awesome usually. They have 10 different recipes and the store picks can pick individual recipes.

Boone County 12 y/o is another nice rye forward bourbon. Blanton's, Elmer T Lee and Rock Hill Farms are all solid bourbons, but hard to get. There are a couple nice high corn rye whiskey's in Pikesville and Russel's Reserve Single Barrel. The Wild Turkey products are higher rye as well, and I love them.

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator Well-Known Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $13,026
      Ratings:
      +21,104 / -154
      What’s the matter with you guys? Ya buy a bottle of Detroit’s own (forced over to Windsor by stupid Constitutional amendment) Canadian Club and call it done! My grandma lived on rye and water for Christ’s sake! I can still hear her voice calling out to 7 year old me, “Pour me a jigger!” ;)

She used to ride the train from Ottawa down to the train station in Windsor which is in the shadow of the Hiram Walker & Sons distillery where the smell was strong... first stop at the tunnel to Detroit was Duty Free where she’d load up on the rye!

#142 Detroitgator, Mar 9, 2019
      Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
      • GatorFL

GatorFL Well-Known Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,477
        Ratings:
        +1,566 / -62
        I have a lot of interests in great bourbon. My favorite daily drinker is Stagg Jr, it is fantastic. I also like Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. I have an extensive collection of bourbons, ryes, etc. including come George T. Stagg, a couple of the Pappys, some Willett, Wellers, etc.

• alcoholica

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $7,576
        Ratings:
        +15,581 / -688
        [​IMG]

• alcoholica

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $7,576
          Ratings:
          +15,581 / -688
          [​IMG]

Damn, Stagg Jr. is your daily drinker. Well done sir.

• GatorFL

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,477
            Ratings:
            +1,566 / -62
            It's not super expensive. I buy all I can find when I find it so I always have some to drink. I just acquired 2 bottles of George T. Stagg for my collection. That was kind of pricey but still less than half of what I see it for on the secondary market.

• alcoholica

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $7,576
              Ratings:
              +15,581 / -688
              Haven't been able to get any Stagg Sr., tried it at a bar and it really was amazing. I've couple a couple of big boy Weller's, and those are my best bottles probable. Have a couple old bottles of Booker's from the early 2000's too. I have a few bottles of Stagg Jr. Like you, I buy it when I see it. Same with the Elijah Craig barrel proof. To me those are the sweet spot of the bourbon market, $50-60, barrel proof. 8-12 years old. Booker's would be there too if they hadn't bumped their price. Not barrel proof but close, the Russel's Reserve single barrel, especially if you can find some good store picks.

• GatorFL

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $1,477
                Ratings:
                +1,566 / -62
                Previously I was a scotch drinker. The Russell's Reserve Single Barrel and also Knob Creek Single Barrel are what really got me interested in good bourbon. I cycled through a variety of bottles and while I didn't try anything terrible, I did develop a taste for a certain profile.

• alcoholica

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $7,576
                  Ratings:
                  +15,581 / -688
                  I can't really say I gravitate toward a certain profile. I have a lot of different bottles and I try to keep different bottles open so depending on my mood. I definitely tend toward the high proof stuff. One of my favorite bottles right now is an OESV Four Roses store pick, but some days I'd prefer some 1783 to just have a drink with. Many times I wish I had one favorite, it'd make it easier

• soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $21,800
                  Ratings:
                  +32,832 / -283
                  I have the regular Four Roses Single Barrel and Blantons. Have to try the others. Good to know about the store picks. One of the best bourbons I’ve ever had was a unique Woodford small batch recipe that a restaurant in Gville was offering.

Thanks for the reccos. If i ever feel like a Whiskey expert, this thread will quickly remind me how much of a novice I actually am.

• alcoholica

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $7,576
                    Ratings:
                    +15,581 / -688
                    Woodford is one of my most overrated bourbons of all time. However, I took a tour and had some straight from the barrel and it was absolutely amazing. I really like the Double Oak as well. You can really get some unicorns with the barrel picks. I'd love to find a nice store pick of Woodford, because it is blended to be a fairly bland bourbon. Just really approachable, which it does a great job of. But, I'd really like to see what the mash bill is capable of through some store picks.

• itsgr82bag8r

itsgr82bag8r Political Forum Fire Starter
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $17,832
                      Ratings:
                      +25,511 / -272
                      For you dark rum drinkers, I highly recommend giving these two a try....

IMG_6090.JPG IMG_6091.JPG

I prefer the El Dorado, a Guyanese product, it’s well done and very smooth. I found the 15 year’s most enjoyable.

I haven’t had these stateside, but they were a pleasant find in Trinidad.

• GatorFL

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $1,477
                        Ratings:
                        +1,566 / -62
                        If you like Blanton's try and get a bottle of Henry McKenna 10 year SB. It's basically the reject Blanton's. Hit or miss but far more hits than misses. It is worth the risk at about 1/3 the price.

I have a couple go-to stores in South FL for good bourbon. It's a fun pain in the ass, you constantly have to be on the lookout to get stuff at a reasonable price. It gets me out of the house away from the wife and kids for hours at a time. :)

• GatorFL

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $1,477
                          Ratings:
                          +1,566 / -62
                          I haven't tried it yet but I've heard from someone I know that the Old Forester Rye is fantastic.

• Back Alley Gator

Back Alley Gator Well-Known Member
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $2,750
                            Ratings:
                            +3,850 / -182
                            I'll have to give these a try if I can ever find them. Right now I'm drinking Diplomatico Reserva Exlcusiva on a regular basis because its what I can find most often.

My absolute favorite is Ron Zacapa Centenario XO. Got two bottles when I went on a cruise last month.

When I can find it, Ron Zacapa Solera 23 is another really good one.

• alcoholica

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $7,576
                              Ratings:
                              +15,581 / -688
                              Prices must suck down there. When I find Blanton’s it’s about $60 and McKenna SB is $30-35. I may have gotten a dud bottle of Blanton’s, but i’d take an older bottle of McKenna SB anytime. The bottles from 2018 and later have gotten inconsistent as you’ve said. I think McKenna is a lower rye content as well.

Regardless, two bourbons that are generally held in high esteem.

• GatorFL

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $1,477
                              Ratings:
                              +1,566 / -62
                              If you can find Blanton's it's $90+, even with connections down here. Most of the local retailers build in some kind of a premium for the stuff that is difficult to find. Every now and then I make a score at an ABC or Total Wine at list price. I network with a couple guys, when we find a store that has something desirable we let each other know.

I did just get those couple bottles of George T. Stagg at a decent price through another forum.

• alcoholica

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $7,576
                              Ratings:
                              +15,581 / -688
                              Yeah, I just don’t like paying over retail. Personal preference.

The crazy thing about Blanton’s is that I find it overrated. I know a lot of people love it, and I certainly don’t hate it, just don’t get the hype. Their barrel proof is another story. I still pick it up for friends when I find it.

The whole bourbon thing has gotten out of hand. No way this stuff isn’t getting drunk at the rate it’s getting sold. Can’t be close.

• GatorFL

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $1,477
                              Ratings:
                              +1,566 / -62
                              You got that right. Even with me. My bourbon collection is pretty diverse. All I drink is Stagg Jr and Elijah Craig, with a bottle or two of new stuff every now and then. I just can't justify drinking a $70 bottle of Pappy I could sell on the secondary market for over $1,000. I've got a bunch of bottles in my collection I am saving for a rainy day. I'll drink the George T. Staggs I think.

Bourbon hype is driving the market in a strange place. In defense of the distilleries, 15 years ago there was no way to know it would blow up the way it has. Throw in the occassional rickhouse fire and it makes things interesting!

• alcoholica

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $7,576
                                Ratings:
                                +15,581 / -688
                                I get more of a kick out of talking about the industry than the actual bourbon. You look at Wild Turkey and they are increasing their ages again. Regular 101 is routinely an 8 y/o product now. I can pick up Russell’s Reserve SB whenever I want and it’s amazing. But then you look at the Beam’s and Buffalo Trace issues and you just have to wonder if they aren’t going to push this to a point where people move on.